Homeana Eggs

chairman

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Mississippi
Went to feed my homeana tonight and found a broken egg on the surface. Dug a little deeper in the spot and came across two more. I saw what I thought could have been a test hole months ago (or a spot where they were digging for worms) so I kept digging around the enclosure... and found two more pairs of eggs, each in a distinct location. So, I'm fairly sure that I have 3 distinct laying events sitting in my incubator. Not sure how how long the oldest ones have been in there but the biggest eggs have expanded to about 40mm.

The eggs were probably incubating in situ at around 70F. I moved them to an "incubator" that I have previously used for crested geckos. The temp is about 75F. For you experienced breeders, everything sound all right?

I'm excited about the prospect of getting some babies.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Went to feed my homeana tonight and found a broken egg on the surface. Dug a little deeper in the spot and came across two more. I saw what I thought could have been a test hole months ago (or a spot where they were digging for worms) so I kept digging around the enclosure... and found two more pairs of eggs, each in a distinct location. So, I'm fairly sure that I have 3 distinct laying events sitting in my incubator. Not sure how how long the oldest ones have been in there but the biggest eggs have expanded to about 40mm.

The eggs were probably incubating in situ at around 70F. I moved them to an "incubator" that I have previously used for crested geckos. The temp is about 75F. For you experienced breeders, everything sound all right?

I'm excited about the prospect of getting some babies.
Hi
Cool. I have 4 homes eggs in incubator. Been in since April 26th. Dont know if they are fertile. I'm a novice. Got mine set at 82degs. With 99% humidity.Will I have boiled them. :(.

Have you got any photos you can show us.
What are your eggs sat on now.

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
The eggs are on vermiculite in a plastic shoe box. A little soil from the enclosure tagged along as well. I keep a little dish of water in there as a visual indicator of humidity... dish dries out before the medium does. Didn't have time to take good pictures but here's some cell pics:

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Thanks for that. I put mine in vermiculite but also got spaghnum moss around them. I'm wondering if I made the moss too deep. Your eggs look very clean as mine did at 1st. But now mine look to be a different color. I'll show you some photos when I get home tonight. Have you bred homeana before.

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
Your color change may be a result of the moss, it can stain eggs. I'm unaware of any impacts beyond that.

This will be my first time with tortoise eggs. It has taken me about 13 years to get them! All my previous breeding experience is with snakes and geckos. That's why I'm hoping someone will chime in if I'm doing something wrong.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Your color change may be a result of the moss, it can stain eggs. I'm unaware of any impacts beyond that.

This will be my first time with tortoise eggs. It has taken me about 13 years to get them! All my previous breeding experience is with snakes and geckos. That's why I'm hoping someone will chime in if I'm doing something wrong.
Bet your exited then. Hope it goes well for you. I put my first 2 straight in the incubator because I was unaware of how long they were in the ground. The 2nd pair I diapaused for 4 wks then put in the incubator.
@tortadise is your man on these.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Cool. I'd leave room temps true in a warm part of the closet or room for about a month then proceed with incubator mid 80s and see what happens,

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I can not give you incubator temps. I let mine stay with the adults.

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
Well, I don't have an incubator quite yet. Never bred a species that needed more than room temps. It sounds like I either have a month to build and test one or I could go without. Is it safe to say that the predominant difference between incubating at room temp (75F in my case) and 85F would be a longer incubation period?

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
Also, I would have left them with the parents if it hadn't been for that broken egg.

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
I believe that one of the eggs pipped in the last 12 hours. At least it doesn't look or smell like a rotten egg... Assuming that I've got a baby making his way out, how long does it usually take for them to come out?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
One of my Bells sat in his egg for several days. So it can vary.

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
Checked on the egg tonight and caught a whiff of that disappointing smell of rot. Gently removed the eggshell from the pip point to find a dead little tortoise. After removing the rest of the top of the shell I found that he seemed fully formed but I think he had quite a bit of yolk left. Disappointing turn of events but there's still 5 eggs left and at least I know fertilization is a strong possibility. Going to leave him in a separate moist container sitting in the bottom half of the egg just in case but I'm pretty sure he's gone.

turtlemanfla88

Good luck I have had good luck with hovobator incubators you can get them at least in Florida at most feed stores, tractor supply, Rural King stores.

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
Thanks. In a piece of positive news, found two additional eggs tonight. Based on my female's behavior I think they were laid in the last two weeks.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Checked on the egg tonight and caught a whiff of that disappointing smell of rot. Gently removed the eggshell from the pip point to find a dead little tortoise. After removing the rest of the top of the shell I found that he seemed fully formed but I think he had quite a bit of yolk left. Disappointing turn of events but there's still 5 eggs left and at least I know fertilization is a strong possibility. Going to leave him in a separate moist container sitting in the bottom half of the egg just in case but I'm pretty sure he's gone.
Damn. That's frustrating. I think all 5 of mine are duds. 2 blew and the 3 that's left don't look positive.

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
Well, had a hopeful development today. Another pip, this guy is moving his legs, opening and closing his mouth, and keeps popping his head in and out the shell. Can also hear him actively cracking the shell in spurts.

Keeping my fingers crossed.