how big a habitat do i need for russian tort

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortguy266

5 Year Member
i'm going to build one. and how big does it need to be. theres going to be a hatchling in there.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Well...you can go size appropriate for him now..say 2x2 or you can give some growing room and go 2x4...I do not house Russians but am basing my opinion on the size of a hatchling....and keep in mind they are awesome climbers...:D

Wait around for opinions from the folks that host Russians...the more the merrier..:D

jwhite

5 Year Member
west milwaukee,wi
what I use for my hatchlings are the big under bed storage containers. They are plenty big and deep enough for a hatchling. They are also inexpensive and really easy to clean. Also if you get the ones where you can close the top on one side and leave the other open it will help maintain humidity on that side.

Jon

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think you ought to just build it as big as you can to fit the space you have. Nothing wrong with a 4x8' enclosure, even for a hatchling. Think how much room they would have out in the world. I think 2x4 is large enough for a hatchling.

Kolorbl1nd

5 Year Member
NY
It's honestly up to you and how much room you have. I have a dresser that I used. I flipped it on its back and lined it with a shower curtain and tarp. its about the size of a twin size bed. My russian loves it. They are dare devils so watch out for the "suicide dive" off of everything. good luck
Beckie:tort:

tortguy266

5 Year Member
well it's going to be outside and it's going to be made out of wood and i want to make it big so they can't out grow it so what size will they not outgrow?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
tortguy266 said:
well it's going to be outside and it's going to be made out of wood and i want to make it big so they can't out grow it so what size will they not outgrow?

Aha, Now were getting somewhere. Are you just putting up sides and the ground will be the bottom, or are you building a full raised outdoor tortoise table with a wooden bottom and everything?

Here's is an easy but secure idea for you. This is easy to move and or expand. I would start with a 4x8' and add on as he grows.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread...ut-Safe-Outdoor-Baby-Enclosures#axzz1bv5qbbcz

tortguy266

5 Year Member
yes i'm just putting up sides and a wire top on the top of it but what size do i need

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
All of the above.
It kind of depends on how much space you have, supplies you can afford.
You can't make the enclosure too large for a Russian, they roam and roam in the wild.
So it is hard to say 'how big'. If the sky is the limit, then make it 3-4' wide by 10-20' long (rectangular works for them rather than square, or even a 'L' shape is great. If space/$ are limited, 3-4' by 8' outside would be OK.
If you plan to place the enclosure directly on the ground, make sure you dig down a barrier 6-8" or more. Some Russians like to dig, many like to climb A LOT.
If you plan on a raised bed, you don't have to dig down a barrier to prevent digging out.
Instead, you can line the bottom with sturdy plastic garden or field fence (like the orange stuff from Home Depot) and staple it up the sides. Make the sides 24", so you can fill with untreated garden or topsoil up 6-8", and be sure to cap corners (or a screen top will help prevent them from climbing out).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
To keep it simple, 2x12s are sold in 10 and 12' lengths. How about simply screwing four of those together and making a 10x10' or 12x12' enclosure. You will have to make sure there are no gaps along the bottom and that the ground is perfectly level. You'll also need some sort of ground barrier to keep them from digging out too. Like what Lynne suggested. I find the blocks easier to work with than the wood.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is one of those thing s that is not so easy to answer. Just how fine is fine? Personally I would not keep an adult Russian in something that small as a regular thing. However, your tortoise is not going to suddenly drop dead even if your enclosure was half that size. In such a small rectangular area I would be very careful with shade. I use 4x8' pens for my babies and I really have to watch the temps. I hose them a lot on hot days, I zip tie palm fronds onto the wire covers for shade that won't blow away, and I dig little underground shelters for them sometimes too. Plus the are heavily planted with weeds, grass and leafy greens for them to take shelter under. Since your tortoise is still little, you have some time to think about it and make adjustments as needed. We use the catch phrase "bigger is better" in reference to tortoise enclosures quite frequently, but it really is true. More room to move around and more room to plant plants, dig holes, add furniture, put in a log or two, add a couple of sunken water bowls, etc..., just makes for a better tortoise enclosure. I try to imagine the variety of things they would encounter in the wild and the space they would have to move around. I think it is a good goal to try to simulate that sort of thing, at least to a reasonable, safe degree.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
tortguy266 said:

Outside, I'd just go ahead and make it suitable for an adult Russian tortoise, as it will eventually be that large (6"" or longer)...so, if it's going to be solitary, I'd go with a minimum of 4' X 6', but bigger is even better. If you plan to get him some lady friends some day, definitely larger.

My enclosures are just under 8' long, by 5' wide and 3-1/2' deep, and I intend to build larger ones (16' X 8' X 3-1/2') when we decide whether we're moving or staying (long story there!)

The larger you make the enclosure, the more interesting you make the enclosure for them, as you can add caves to sleep in at night, rocks and logs to climb over/dig under, bushes to sleep under on sunny days, large water dishes to soak in, etc.

You probably can't make it too large, really.

A few pics, to show off my tort's set-ups...lots of other good pics in the Enclosure part of the Forum, to give you ideas...look through them and you'll likely get some inspiration.

ea72e7f6-7d4e-4b94-a598-479159d1a204

ab15dade-13e1-4f05-b40c-2f788f268f04

0e7bec3b-28e1-4564-b4ea-211057cdf144

Status
Not open for further replies.