How hot is too hot?

Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
Hello, my baby sulcata Rosie is 2 months old, and I got her 4 days ago. She has a heat lamp that only came in yesterday, and so we haven’t had it on very much. At first, the temperature was low so I put a heater next to it. Then it got to 115 degrees. Thankfully, the tortoise was in the den so it didn’t affect him. I turned the heater off immediately, and a couple of hours later it was 100 degrees at the highest point. My tortoise was asleep under the light, right where it was at the highest (100 degrees) is this to hot, because it is still sleeping under it and just relaxing. Did it overheat and just get tired, or is it sunbathing? All around it is in the 90s and 80s so it can cool off but he decides to stay. Please do not judge because this is my first time having a tortoise and I’m just trying to adapt and learn as I go. Is 100 degrees to hot or is it perfect?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 5

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First you need to get a thermostat to run the heat. You also need to get your tort in a closed chamber with high, 80% humidity. The basking area can be 95-100. The over all temp and night temp should be no lower than 80 and humidity also 80%.
Your tort has some slight pyramiding already started from before you got him. Get the humidity as I said, get the enclosure closed to hold in that humidity and no not use any mercury vapor bulbs and you can get that pyramiding to stop.

Oklahoma
First you need to get a thermostat to run the heat. You also need to get your tort in a closed chamber with high, 80% humidity. The basking area can be 95-100. The over all temp and night temp should be no lower than 80 and humidity also 80%.
Your tort has some slight pyramiding already started from before you got him. Get the humidity as I said, get the enclosure closed to hold in that humidity and no not use any mercury vapor bulbs and you can get that pyramiding to stop.
I can’t close it or the lamp will melt the cage

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Post a picture of the enclosure and we can help you make it an enclosed chamber

Oklahoma
I turned the light off and closed it to help the humidity. It is a clamp lamp. What do you think I could do to help it the best way possible? Also, just for my confidence, was it the late owner who caused the tortoises shell to pyramid or me?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
Oklahoma
This is the lamp I use. Do I need to get a different kind or is this fine? I don’t know any of the requirements.

Attachments

• IMG_9637.jpeg
    IMG_9637.jpeg
    111 KB · Views: 2

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I turned the light off and closed it to help the humidity. It is a clamp lamp. What do you think I could do to help it the best way possible? Also, just for my confidence, was it the late owner who caused the tortoises shell to pyramid or me?
You need a much larger enclosure that will give you room to have all the heating and lighting inside. That way you are doing it will not work.

Read this:

Oklahoma
You need a much larger enclosure that will give you room to have all the heating and lighting inside. That way you are doing it will not work.

Read this:
But it is so small, it is the right size according to Google lol!

Oklahoma
Lol is right!
Ok, but I need exactly what hat kind of cage to get because I have no idea in the slightest! Also, could it be on the cheaper side because I just can’t find anything that isn’t 500$. Would a terrarium work because there are people selling those for cheap on Facebook market place. I read the whole thing FYI.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok, but I need exactly what hat kind of cage to get because I have no idea in the slightest! Also, could it be on the cheaper side because I just can’t find anything that isn’t 500$. Would a terrarium work because there are people selling those for cheap on Facebook market place. I read the whole thing FYI.
Here are the parameters:
1. Must be large enough to accommodate your tortoise now and for some future growth.
2. Must have a closed top, not a screen or open, so you don't lose all your heat and humidity.
3. Must be tall enough inside to accommodate all the heating and lighting. Usually 24 inches is the minimum, but 18 inches can also be made to work if needed. 30 inches is ideal.
4. Must be made of a water proof material like expanded PVC sheets, for example.

You bought a giant species of tortoise and you live in a less-than-ideal climate for this. You are going to have a lifetime of giant heating, housing, and feeding bills to go with your giant species. The tortoise doesn't care how much money you have. It needs what it needs.

Some people suggest greenhouse tents, but I have no first hand experience doing it that way. I think they smell bad, and they don't offer great insulation, but I have seen people here make them work, and its cheeper than buying a giant PVC enclosure. You'll pay more for the electricity to keep it warm, but less upfront cost.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Many companies are making PVC enclosures now. I don't know their prices, quality, or service.

I have personal experience with Animal Plastics. They make fantastic enclosures at a reasonable low price, but the wait time can be 8 months or longer. I waited over a year and a half for my last batch.

The best way to go is one of Mark's "Smart Enclosures". The price tag seems high at first glance, but his are actually cheaper than buying some other enclosure and then buying all the necessary heating and lighting and installing it yourself. Mark designed and built these enclosures specifically to be a perfect life support system for baby tortoises. Nothing works better. You can buy the 36x48 inch one, and add the expansion pack later to save some money up front. I have assembled quite a few of these now and have four of them currently in use, and there is simply nothing better.

Donna Albu

5 Year Member
Peoria, Maricopa County, AZ
Thank you Tom, and everybody else. I am going to go with a 40 gallon terrarium!
You are going to need a much bigger enclosure in 6 months or less. 40 gal terrarium has too small of a footprint to allow for the growth rate of a sulcata. So either get something bigger now, or plan on spending even more money again shortly. I don't want you saying "why didn't anyone warn me?" later!