How much sleep?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Zucchini and squash should be fed sparingly,if at all, though the flowers are good.
They are fruits and high in sugars and acids, not good for a Russian tortoise. It's like feeding children lots of fizzy pop and chocolate and may be part of the reason for the tortoise's lethargy.

jim taylor

Location (City and/or State)
Morrisville pa
I'm almost sure it the same tank. I will post a pic when I get home. I have a sulcata ( before I get blasted for the tank he is only a yearling ). My temps need to be high and I keep my ac down in the 70s. I'm not sure about the temps for a Russian but it keeps my tank in the 90s. I mist the tank twice a day if I don't mist it my humidity will run about 50 percent. U may not another heat source. And it depends on ur substrate I use cypress mulch mixed wit sphagnum moss to keep the water in and humidity up.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Okay... Tidgy's Dad, I need some advice on what to feed my tortoise. If the stuff I'm giving her is high in sugar (which I believe you, don't worry) then what is something that I could find easily to feed her instead? Mustard leaves is not an answer. ;) I can't find that stuff anywhere!! What would you recommend?

And jim taylor, thank you so much!!! That is very helpful, thank you! I don't have temperature monitors, so it's nice to hear what lights and temp I should have everything set to. :(
I just soaked her and switched out the light, she's playing outside right now. We'll see how she reacts when I put her back in the tank with the new light. (She'll probably still go to sleep, playing outside tuckers her out.) She just pooped as much as a dog. Maybe constipation had to do with her laziness, too! (She gets constipated a lot. That's why I have an aloe plant.)

itiswhatitis

Hi guys,
I'm starting to wonder about my tortoise's health. I have a Russian tortoise, she's about five years old. Lately, she's been sleeping all day every day. She used to walk around her enclosure and tip the water bowl, just being a regular naughty tortoise. But now all she does is sleep. In the same spot. Every day. The only time I get her to move is when I soak her (which I do about every other day) and put her outside. Outside, she walks all over and eats a lot of grass, but when I put her back in the cage, she goes right back to sleep.
My lamp is about ten-twelve inches above her, it's a 100 watt heat lamp with a UV on the other side. Could she be getting too warm, and that's why she's lazy? Or is this normal behavior for a female Russian? Thanks!m Here's a pic of her enclosure... (she has more bedding now, she buries down in it and doesn't come out)View attachment 184105

12 inch close / 100 watt heat lamp?
I'm at 16 inch with 75 watt heat and its 101 on his shell with temp gun.
I know everyone's different but you should get those temps checked for sure.

Good luck to you :)

Last edited:

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Hello all those who helped me! :) I put the new UVB in today, and she's already acting better. I didn't think it would work so quickly, but she seems more curious and is started to dig around rather than just sleep in one place. I'm so happy!! I'm actually planning on building a sort of 2nd story for her to add a bit more size/interest to her cage. Do Popsicle sticks actually work as a railing or do they just break when the tortoise digs? Thank you guys for all of your help!