How much time between hatchlings?

Trish33

Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
Hello all! Newbie to the forum and I hope someone can give me some advice. I've had painted turtles for over 10 years, never any eggs or babies...which I am completely fine with. And then Chewetta came into my life...my boyfriend was on a job site and rescued an Eastern Box Turtle that was being attacked by a dog. He brought her home thinking all turtles were the same and we could add her to the turtle pond (really?!?). So I made her an outdoor enclosure. I wasn't planning on keeping her because I'm an aquatic turtle gal, but wanted to make sure she was going to be ok - her shell was damaged by the dog bites. She recovered nicely and of course I became attached. Then I caught her laying eggs one night - watched her for hours dig the hole and then bury them...very cool.

Late last Friday night, the little guy in my profile pic emerged. I live in NJ and we had a few freakish chilly, rainy nights Saturday and Sunday. My problem is that I can still see at least two eggs in the hole but no more hatchlings yet. As a mom of two boys and an animal lover - I'm worried sick about the eggs. Is it normal for the eggs to hatch days apart? Do you think the temp change affected it even though it has since warmed back up? Should I dig up the eggs and bring them indoors? Maybe the eggs just didn't develop? Maybe I shouldn't worry so much because turtles have been on earth way longer than I have and they know what they're doing? I have no idea.

I'm freaking out a bit and may end up with a permanent chicken wire indent in my forehead from just staring into the hole for hours. Lol.

Sorry for the long post - again, I'm a newbie...to the forum and to being an expecting turtle mom.

Thank you to anyone who can help!

Estella

california
Hello all! Newbie to the forum and I hope someone can give me some advice. I've had painted turtles for over 10 years, never any eggs or babies...which I am completely fine with. And then Chewetta came into my life...my boyfriend was on a job site and rescued an Eastern Box Turtle that was being attacked by a dog. He brought her home thinking all turtles were the same and we could add her to the turtle pond (really?!?). So I made her an outdoor enclosure. I wasn't planning on keeping her because I'm an aquatic turtle gal, but wanted to make sure she was going to be ok - her shell was damaged by the dog bites. She recovered nicely and of course I became attached. Then I caught her laying eggs one night - watched her for hours dig the hole and then bury them...very cool.

Late last Friday night, the little guy in my profile pic emerged. I live in NJ and we had a few freakish chilly, rainy nights Saturday and Sunday. My problem is that I can still see at least two eggs in the hole but no more hatchlings yet. As a mom of two boys and an animal lover - I'm worried sick about the eggs. Is it normal for the eggs to hatch days apart? Do you think the temp change affected it even though it has since warmed back up? Should I dig up the eggs and bring them indoors? Maybe the eggs just didn't develop? Maybe I shouldn't worry so much because turtles have been on earth way longer than I have and they know what they're doing? I have no idea.

I'm freaking out a bit and may end up with a permanent chicken wire indent in my forehead from just staring into the hole for hours. Lol.

Sorry for the long post - again, I'm a newbie...to the forum and to being an expecting turtle mom.

Hello I am no expert but I believe it could take up to a week or two between first and last hatch. Just give them time. I definitely understand how exciting it is and how eager you must be to meet them. Congratulations

Reptilony

QC, CAN

so cool that you rescued her, got any pictures? : ) im pretty sure it's perfectly normal they don't all hatch at the same time.

Trish33

New Jersey
Hello I am no expert but I believe it could take up to a week or two between first and last hatch. Just give them time. I definitely understand how exciting it is and how eager you must be to meet them. Congratulations

Thank you for responding. I figured I was just panicking and I need to be patient...worried mom!

Trish33

New Jersey
20180911_115544.jpg 20180911_115544.jpg 20180910_151725.jpg
so cool that you rescued her, got any pictures? : ) im pretty sure it's perfectly normal they don't all hatch at the same time.

Thank you! I really didn't want to disturb the eggs, I will watch and wait. Here's pics of mom. I caught her watching the enclosure I have around the eggs and another of her taking a dip in the muddy water bowl.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Trish!

I just wanted to let you know (in case you don't know) Eastern box turtles are protected in New Jersey. It may have been illegal for your BF to take it home.

Eggs in the ground usually all hatch at the same time.

Estella

california
Incubation Duration

Incubation duration can vary greatly. Most species will hatch between 8-11 weeks, however it can take 18 weeks or more. It can also vary greatly between eggs in the same clutch. They should start hatching around the same time, but don't toss any eggs out until you have given them all ample time to hatch, and are confident that they are infertile. Just one clutch of turtle eggs can have a hatch date variation of up to 18 days, and can be even longer than that in some tropical species. This can even happen in very stable and accurate incubators, and although it is unlikely that you would have such a range, is something to think about when making the decision that the hatching is done.

Trish33

New Jersey
Welcome to the Forum, Trish!

I just wanted to let you know (in case you don't know) Eastern box turtles are protected in New Jersey. It may have been illegal for your BF to take it home.

Eggs in the ground usually all hatch at the same time.

Oh boy, I wasn't aware of that. I knew it was illegal to sell and breed turtles here, but not to rescue.

Trish33

New Jersey
Incubation Duration

Incubation duration can vary greatly. Most species will hatch between 8-11 weeks, however it can take 18 weeks or more. It can also vary greatly between eggs in the same clutch. They should start hatching around the same time, but don't toss any eggs out until you have given them all ample time to hatch, and are confident that they are infertile. Just one clutch of turtle eggs can have a hatch date variation of up to 18 days, and can be even longer than that in some tropical species. This can even happen in very stable and accurate incubators, and although it is unlikely that you would have such a range, is something to think about when making the decision that the hatching is done.

Wow, thank you for the information. I am going to leave them alone and just watch for the babies.

Reptilony

QC, CAN

Trish33

New Jersey
Wow she is so pretty! She looks like she have flowers on her shell. Did the dog do some damage to her?

Thanks, I love her markings too. She still has some scars here and there, but is very healthy and active. She got very lucky!