How old is my tortoise

Spanna98

Location (City and/or State)
Lancashire
Hi, I got my Horsfield tortoise 5 days ago and was told he was CB22, be he seems to small for that when reading others post. I have measured and weighed him today and he is 6cm and 48g. How old would you say he is

Attachments

• IMG_8605.jpeg
    IMG_8605.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4

Spanna98

Lancashire
I got him from a pet shop. I have an appointment for a routine check up at the vet tomorrow too

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, I got my Horsfield tortoise 5 days ago and was told he was CB22, be he seems to small for that when reading others post. I have measured and weighed him today and he is 6cm and 48g. How old would you say he is
The only way to know the age is to know that hatch date. They grow at wildly different rates and for a wide variety of reasons. He could be 3 months to 5 years old looking at the picture. Depends on how he was started, housed, and fed.

You have received the wrong care advice judging from your sandy substrate. Sand is a terrible skin and eye irritant and potential cause of impaction. You need to get rid of the sand ASAP.

Be very careful at the vet. Most vets know little or nothing about tortoise care. They learn about tortoise care from the same old wrong sources that everybody else learns from. Don't allow any "vitamin" shots.

Give this a read through for the important care info that you have not yet received:

Spanna98

Lancashire
The only way to know the age is to know that hatch date. They grow at wildly different rates and for a wide variety of reasons. He could be 3 months to 5 years old looking at the picture. Depends on how he was started, housed, and fed.

You have received the wrong care advice judging from your sandy substrate. Sand is a terrible skin and eye irritant and potential cause of impaction. You need to get rid of the sand ASAP.

Be very careful at the vet. Most vets know little or nothing about tortoise care. They learn about tortoise care from the same old wrong sources that everybody else learns from. Don't allow any "vitamin" shots.

Give this a read through for the important care info that you have not yet received:
The only information I got was CB22, so I know he isn’t older than 1/2 years, but I think he is under 1. I haven’t got sand in his bed, the picture might just look like this. Thank you for your advice on the vet 😊 I just wanted to check him for worms 😊

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I haven’t got sand in his bed, the picture might just look like this.
What are you using for substrate? That sure looks like a sandy soil mixture of some sort. If not sand, what are all the tiny little grains in the picture?

Spanna98

Lancashire
What are you using for substrate? That sure looks like a sandy soil mixture of some sort. If not sand, what are all the tiny little grains in the picture?
It is a sand/soil mix is what I meant sorry, not just sand

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It is a sand/soil mix is what I meant sorry, not just sand
RIght. You need to get rid of that ASAP. Sand can kill your tortoise and cause skin and eye irritations or infections. Tortoises should never be housed on sand or soil. You have received the typical old wrong care info from the usual sources. Check out the link I left for you in post number 6. It will explain all of this in more detail.

We are just trying to help you avoid a common disaster and help you be the best tortoise keeper you can be.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi there! You are getting great advice for your tortoise's health and comfort!

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Soil is a NO as they tramp it on the food, eat it and it creates impaction in their tummy. Orchid bark is my preferred or some use coir or a mix.

Spanna98

Lancashire
Okay, I have swapped out the sand/soil for coco coir soil, sorry I keep getting mixed advice from people so it’s hard to know what is best, thank you for your advice

zovick

10 Year Member!
Okay, I have swapped out the sand/soil for coco coir soil, sorry I keep getting mixed advice from people so it’s hard to know what is best, thank you for your advice
The advice you get here is the best up-to-date and correct care information. Forget about going to any other sites (or 99.99% of pet stores) for care recommendations and you will stop being confused by conflicting information.