How to keep away raccoons?

enchilada

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Beach CA
How to keep away raccoons? besides tightly secured closed enclosure, what else can you do to make sure racoons never gonna invade again?

I've been fighting with racoons for weeks. It was a bloody battle. I lost one diamondback terrapin, 1 western painted, 2 box turtles, all my koi fish-------and i scored 2 racoons. made them pay for what they did.

Attachments

• IMG_3131.JPG
    IMG_3131.JPG
    229.5 KB · Views: 64

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Havahart traps and distant relocation. Sometimes animal control will provide the traps and pick up caught animals.

Baited rat traps will sometimes turn them off.

.22 rifle. Very quiet if you shoot CB longs.

They have a motion activated lawn sprinkler system that is supposed to work very well. When any movement is detected it sets off one of those rotating sprinklers. I've never used this one, but I've heard they work well.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In AZ its unlawful to trap them , shoot them , or harass them . Evan live trapping them .

I don't know AZ laws specifically, but most states have "depredation" laws regarding wild animals harming a person's livestock or other pets. CA has some of the worse and most oppressive laws in the whole country, but we are still allowed to deal with nuisance wild animals.

Are you sure that you don't have these sort of exceptions there? Are you expected to let wild animals decimate your stock and do nothing about it? That seems far fetched.

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
i do have traps. but they were still raiding my patio after one of the gang member got busted. they dont fear human at all....

Attachments

• IMG_3138.JPG
    IMG_3138.JPG
    294.5 KB · Views: 52

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Tom
2years ago a family of them moved though my naborhood they killed 2 male torts 6 juveniles and hit a nother nabors yard they tore it up so we called fish and game and they said the above !

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Apples in the trap. They can't resist an apple. It seems that nothing else will get caught BUT a raccoon. I had to deal with a family of them in the roof/attic of my last house. Unfortunately, killing them was the only way in my case. They ripped wood panels and even expanded steel mesh panels off of my roof to get back inside when I just re-homed them. They also shredded a whole area of roofing shingles and bored through plywood. They are quite fearless and determined creatures.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
For sure a topper. Then I'd get some fox or mountain lion urine and establish a permitter around your yard with it.

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
I have not heard anyone who had success with predator urine. Also, did you think of how they get that? The animals are kept in small cages...

I got a small electric fence system called "Fido-shock" (I know, terrible name). I ran the wires all over my fences and trees. Very satisfying to hear them touch it and squeal, and I haven't lost any plants or animals since I installed it.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have other pets. Namely, a small dog. Wolf urine might not go over very well with him. Also, I'm not sure how many wolves are in Fort Lauderdale. (Just joking. I know it's an instinct thing)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...vptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_4bvaseiqma_b

I have used the electronic motion sensor one to deter opossums. For a while there I would see opossum poop in my box turtle waterers every morning. I installed the electronic device and I still saw the poop.

I also bought the ratcheting sprinkler deterrent, but had no way to hook it up to a water source, so gave it away.

I occasionally see dead raccoons on the street that runs by my house, but so far none have come on my property. Fingers crossed.

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
Apples in the trap. They can't resist an apple. It seems that nothing else will get caught BUT a raccoon.

I have trapped and killed dozens of raccoons in a Havahart. They look cute but are nasty, vicious, and very strong. Using apple cores, i once caught a BOX TURTLE and another time, a 'dillo. Let them go, of course.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Once they know your place has a food source for them, they keep coming back. Me I would go with the electric fencing, but they will be testing it for a long time looking for any little over looked way to get past it. If you go for the live trap, trap them and then KILL them. Do not relocate your problem onto somebody else or move them into an alien area where they can starve, be picked on, ect..,

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I would go a combination of electric fence and live trap. and turn that fence up as high as it will go :) and if you catch any in the trap kill them. I am not one for killing animals but I will if they are a threat to any of mine. those laws in Arizona are crazy!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have not heard anyone who had success with predator urine. Also, did you think of how they get that? The animals are kept in small cages...

I got a small electric fence system called "Fido-shock" (I know, terrible name). I ran the wires all over my fences and trees. Very satisfying to hear them touch it and squeal, and I haven't lost any plants or animals since I installed it.

A neighbor got some and tried it. He then let me try some around my place. It deterred the cottontails for a few days, but the ground squirrels ignored it. My dogs keep the other animals away, and my dogs didn't care about the smell from the predator urine.