How To Raise Sulcata Hatchlings and Babies discussion thread

zerocool_08

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Philippines
RE: How To Raise Sulcata Hatchlings and Babies.

Yes, I'm planning on putting up an outdoor setup by next year.
Right now I'm doing the indoor setup for the reason that lots of storms are coming in our country and the temperature will be cooler during the 4th quarter of the year..:(

For the lighting, is ok to use a mercury vapor bulb but with a lower wattage instead?
Thanks for the infos Tom!:D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

The mercury vapor bulbs only come in 100 and 160 watt sizes. One brand makes a 125, but I've never used that one. You can use an MVB, but you can get by without it since you live in such a tropical area and warm sunshine is so readily available.

Your tortoise cannot wait until next year for sunshine. He needs it now and he needs it daily. Your climate is better for them than 95% of the rest of the world. You really ought to set up some sort of temporary enclosure for him to be outside in.

There are a couple of links in my signature for really easy, but effective ways to do this. You can always bring him in on the rainy days, but babies need sunshine.

BigD9

5 Year Member
Florida

Thanks Tom!!:) I got a lot out of this post!!:)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

We talked about this before. I think the answer was around 4 weeks. This is something I've just never paid attention too. I have about two dozen hatchlings right now. The ones that are 5-6 weeks old don't have an egg tooth anymore. The ones that are just two weeks, still do.

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Cali

zerocool_08 said:
Yes, I'm planning on putting up an outdoor setup by next year.
Right now I'm doing the indoor setup for the reason that lots of storms are coming in our country and the temperature will be cooler during the 4th quarter of the year..:(

For the lighting, is ok to use a mercury vapor bulb but with a lower wattage instead?
Thanks for the infos Tom!:D

I laughed a bit when you said next year lol but then i saw you meant for the outside, well i take mine out everyday and they only have an indoor enclosure, the outside isnt much of an enclosure its some 2x4's all connected so they can graze outside and get some sun, wih shade of course :)

jessrich87

5 Year Member

Tom, I just realized you were a dog trainer. I too have trained dogs. I am only certified in obedience and tricks, but nonetheless, interesting that we have something else in common. :) Love for torts and dogs!

akahao

5 Year Member

Thank you for your suggestion and help... i now making another new enclosure for my sully :D

samsmom

10 Year Member!
CedarCreekLake, Texas

Tom,
Do you still recommend temps of warm side 80-90, cool side 75-80, night 75-80 and basking 100-110? I am having a hard time keeping those temps with both basking bulb and heat lamp on one end of enclosure. Yesterday I moved the basking bulb to the middle of enclosure and left the heat lamp on the end. Approx size of indoor enclosure-L-D-H 50X20x25. Don't yet have a thermostat but checking into that!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

This care sheet is now more than two years old and in need of some revision. I have learned a bit more and tried some new things over the last two years.

Here is my current preference (subject to change as I learn and try new things :) ) : I use nothing but closed chambers now. I am 100% convinced that this is THE best way to go. I can maintain the absolute best conditions with a minimum of effort and expense. All of my attempts with open topped enclosures were futile compromises. Partially covered tops with attempts to maintain good hydration and humidity are certainly better than what I did in years past, but nowhere near as good as what I have been accomplishing with closed chambers. The results speak for themselves. There is just no question that closed chambers work better. Inside my closed chambers I put a CHE on a thermostat set to 80, 24/7, to maintain my background ambient temp. Then I put a 50-65 watt regular incandescent flood bulb on a 12 hour timer. I set the height of the bulb to give me a basking spot of approximately 100 degrees. Usually I also use a regular 48" florescent tube on the same timer, just to light things up.

samsmom

10 Year Member!
CedarCreekLake, Texas

OK, this is what I have:

Approx size of enclosure-L-D-H 50X20x25

The lid is covered with wire mesh and more than 3/4 of that lid is covered with plexiglass. I cover the entire top with a 4-fold thick bed sheet and though it is not entirely airtight I consider this a closed chamber as my humidity level is consistently between 84-99%.

My lighting:

1) zilla slimline desert 50 UVB T8 fluorescent light mounted in the center at the top of the back wall, bottom of fixture is about 18 inches above substrate, on about 14 hours a day,
2) GE Reveal 45 watt spot light hanging in the middle of the enclosure towards the back just in front of the fluorescent fixture, this has been for daytime heat and basking, on about 14 hours a day,
3) 75 watt night heat bulb hanging towards the front of enclosure on the right side, light is on for about 10 hours during the night (humid hide is on this side)
4) I just ordered a dual outlet thermostat last night.

Don't really have a cool and warm side except at night.
Daytime temperature at each end stays around 80 since my heat bulb hangs in the middle.
Daytime temperature in the middle stays around 90.
Basking temperature is 100-104.
Night temperature stays around 80 in the middle, around 74 on the cool side and around 84 on the warm side, where the night heat bulb hangs and Samson sleeps in his humid hide!

I am not able to get Samson outside everyday, usually 3-5 times a week for at least 30 minutes and longer when possible but with colder weather on its way outside time may not even be that much.

Now be completely honest with me, do I need a MVB and/or CHE? Am I getting a proper cool down and warm up throughout the enclosure?

I stay confused by reading so many books and all the information on the internet and here. I trust your opinions and thank you so much for your help.

Leta

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Leta, your set up sounds fine to me and if your tortoise is doing well, then THAT is the real measure. If he does as well as most of them do with this sort of routine, you will need to be building something bigger really soon.

The only thing I would change is to replace the "night bulb" with a CHE on a thermostat. This will maintain your ambient day and night. Even more important with the cooler weather coming on. The 74 at night is kind of borderline, but if he is on the warmer side, it should be fine. A CHE on a thermostat will likely warm up that cool spot too.

L82lalaland

5 Year Member
Lakeside, California

Tom I noticed you said No Spinich as an answer to a spring mix question. Why no Spinich? Is it harmful to them?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Spinach is high in oxalates. Oxalates bind with calcium and make it unavailable to them. I feed spinach once in a while, as it is high in other nutrients and good for them. You just don't want to feed it everyday or in large quantities very often. If someone were overwintering a tortoise indoors and feeding primarily spring mix with spinach in it, it could cause a problem over time.

L82lalaland

5 Year Member
Lakeside, California

I did not know that about Spinich, thank you so much for sharing and explaining.

tymoto21

5 Year Member

This is exactly the tread I have been searching for
I've been researching sulcatas for a few months and decided to find a sulcata over a red foot.
I agree the first post is what everyone needs to read! There are so many forums that say different things and having a sucessful breeder show what todo is very helpful.

I was going to buy a regular heat pad but now that you said Che that is the way I will go. I will also be using a 25gal long glass aquarium for the first 6 months until spring when I can get a larger enclosure built and I like the dual temp sensor you have. I know those work well.

Do you know about how long I can store food like dried grass or hay, or how long the mazuri food stays good for?
I looked on their site and couldn't find a definitive answere.

One other question...... Have any for sale? :)

It is a bit difficult to find a knowledgable breeder in WI and I'm hesitant to buy one online from a random online reptile store.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona

One other question...... Have any for sale? :)

It is a bit difficult to find a knowledgable breeder in WI and I'm hesitant to buy one online from a random online reptile store.[/QUOTE]

Send Tom a pm.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California

Tom and I are good friends and I have 19 hatchlings for sale. I can ship them or sell locally in Los Angeles, California. Please let me know. I do also have leopard tortoises from time to time.

661-312-6311

[email protected]

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio

LOL love the last pic of his hiney! :)