HUMAN OR TORTOISE?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
actually, there is one people who needs you, and loves you very much. this person would spend more time with you if she could. but out of respect for you, she 'mostly' leaves you alone. she would see you more often, if you'd let her. but you don't need her. she loves you with all her heart, and knows this will embarrass you, but the person wanted this to be said. i love you deeply, and hugely
Oh Maggie.....I love your post!!!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Animals are my priority. My family knows it, and so does my ex girlfriend. It's why I had broke it off. Couldn't give enough attention to her like she wanted and needed. So I spared her the me. I don't care for people at all. We love we die, we ruin this planet. So my time here on this planet I will do everything for animals.

yillt

Humans are animals but animals are not humans. So if you say animals you get them both. I say animals. :);)

Alyssa

5 Year Member
I hardly ever post (trying to spend less time on my phone!) but this was an interesting thread.

I bought my first tortoise last year while going through post-partum depression. Since then I have also learned that I have SADs syndrome. Tortoises are my therapy. Sometimes, I feel like a tortoise. Haha.

That being said, nothing will ever replace human interaction for me. We are born into families for a reason. We learn from them, grow with them, and need their love to thrive. We as humans need human interaction.
Relationships are difficult. Much more difficult than raising tortoises will ever be. It takes a lot of effort to build and maintain healthy human relationships of any kind. But in my opinion the rewards far outweigh that effort.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I have to agree with Alyssa. I love all my animals and they are not just pets, but a part of my family, but I don't think I could choose any animal over anyone in my family.

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
of the people i know i love only a handful, i like a few others, and tolerate the rest. but i love all tortoises.

Camryn

Tampa, FL
I'm pretty Anti-social so I'm not really a "people person" Lol I think tortoises are better then people! They can't be mean or annoying. They don't make you want to rip their throats out. They are amusing just to look at and observe. They are pretty too :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Depends on which animal you are talking about, and which human. And the day.

And Maggie you are not alone. Many of us love Yvonne, even if she does live like a hermit and doesn't want to leave or have attention.

Kelly, you are in a tough spot. You can't accomplish a damn thing for all the animals you care about with out the help, support and generosity of a lot of humans. This is something I had to learn about my business too.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I love both humans and animals. However, humans stress me out and animals don't. So while humans are indeed a priority, I choose to spend the majority of my time with animals.

Camryn

Tampa, FL
I love reptiles and have many, including 2 very cool leopard tortoises with cute "personalities". Nonetheless, comparing any animal-human interactions to human-human interactions is apples to oranges. Would any of us be members on this forum if there wasn't a need to interact with other human beings, have a sense of belonging/community and share our passions with? If you can get all of that from a tortoise, then you I want to know where you got your telepathic tortoise from, cuz I want one!

Some people like animals more then, interacting with strangers. We don't mean our whole life is depending on the tortoise for human interactions :)

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Definitely tortoises. They're there when people aren't, they listen even if just blankly staring at you making sounds at them, they're not going to leave you since they don't really got a choice, they don't talk back in fact they don't talk at all so they're nice and peaceful.

Ok so maybe i'm a bit biased being younger without a family of my own to speak for :p

yillt

Wow. You all have great views. I understand if people like humans more than animals but HOW ON EARTH do people NOT LIKE ANIMALS. I don't get it and it frustrates me so much seeing animal abuse. I am certain you'll all agree. ;)

Alaskamike

South Florida
I enjoyed reading this thread ...It is one of those topics where there can be no debate. You feel what you feel. Everyone is different and has a right to it

Personally I bonded to nature very early on and preferred it to human company till in my teens. Humans are not by nature solitary creatures. We tend to congregate together, form family's and " packs" of associates and friends.

Some animals do too - some , like tortoises do not, and are solitary.

We tend to personify our pets ( attribute human equivalent thoughts and emotions to them ) as if they were human. Usually causes no issues except with potentially dangerous ones like the primates, big cats, bears , etc. some have been seriously injured , even killed , by the pet who " loved" them.

Raised a hybrid wolf and had her till she passed of old age. However I always knew I must remain the Alfa in our little pack , and did not let her around little children , even though she was always gentle as a lamb.

I believe every living creature has as much right to exist as I do. As well as a respect for not mistreating them - and a hate for those that do.

But my own kind still trump animals - even my own beloved pets. I understand the draw of animals; they are more predictable, without guile, and comforting often than humans. Many replace human contact with their pets. No judgment.

But for me , there is nothing more complex, rewarding, or stimulating that relationships with people. We are still the most interesting thing on the planet to me. And certainly have the most impact , both good and bad , on the entire ecosystem.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I believe every living creature has as much right to exist as I do.

Really? Have you thought this through? This statement carries A LOT of potentially earth shaking consequences and implications.

So you don't kill the ants that invade your kitchen? Or swat flies? De-flea your dog? Eat meat? Etc...

I believe in respecting and caring for the natural world. I take the responsibility of properly caring for captive animals very seriously. I do not, however, believe that the cow I'm eating, or the ants in my kitchen, or the predator about to kill my child has as much "right" to exist as I do. I have no problem taking the lives of predators, pests, or prey animals in certain situations. I could not do that if I believed they all had just as much of a right to live as I do.

Yourlocalpoet

5 Year Member
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
I'd choose tortoises, but they're not very good at drinking wine and talking bollocks with you until the early hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tortoise Forum