HUMAN OR TORTOISE?

Alaskamike

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
Tom.
I get what you're saying. I guess to me the word " right" means the right to existence. This is why I do support protection of endangered species. Nor do I kill anything at random for no reason.
However , I am still and always will be top of the food chain I'm my world. And like you , eliminate invaders ( like spiders) with no problem.
What I don't do is kill something just because it scares me , for sport, or meanness. Not even spiders.
I think humans have more value on this planet than other animals and would save a human over an animal every time.
Is that because we truly are of greater value ? Or do I believe that way cause I'm human. If I were an elephant I suppose it would be other elephants of greatest value - and right to live.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just being conversational here Mike...

When I was in college one of my animal classes introduced and explored the concepts of "Animal Rights" Vs. "Animal Welfare". I wonder if you ever had this concept introduced to you? If not, I think you might enjoy reading up on the topic.

And is that really you in your avatar pic?

Alaskamike

South Florida
Tom,
I do get the difference between animal welfare and animal rights. Welfare we can easily agree on. Rights is another things altogether. Certainly the Animal Rights Activists might argue that the use of any animal, even cats and dogs as pets is perverse and wrong, and see no difference in Value from a rat to a pig to a boy. That is an extreme position that I do not share, but it very well could be due to the fact that I am human and therefore place the highest ‘value’ and right on my own species. We humans are very fickle in our ‘valuation’. I remember an American friend outraged when they found that some cultures eat dog meat, but saw no problem with cow, or pig, or lamb.
What is implied here in this discussion without saying it involves the ranking of right to life by potential or measurable intelligence, creativity, contribution, cuddliness, etc. And even deeper and more potentially contentious and controversial, the world view crafted by any particular religious conviction and teachings. These issues, probably more than any other inform our understanding of who and what humans are and how we fit into this world.
All of this, of course, is rather far afield of the OP question of what do you prefer – people or your torts. But it still is interesting to me.

margykid

Such a great thread!! Both are different In many ways. They both have their pros and cons. Humans can be great but so can tortoises!!;):)

margykid

actually, there is one people who needs you, and loves you very much. this person would spend more time with you if she could. but out of respect for you, she 'mostly' leaves you alone. she would see you more often, if you'd let her. but you don't need her. she loves you with all her heart, and knows this will embarrass you, but the person wanted this to be said. i love you deeply, and hugely
Who is this??

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I've seen this thread so many times, and I wanted to post but so many people already pretty much summed it up! There are so many good replies here, and I agree with a BUNCH of members here, but not going to be 'choosey' so let's just assume it's everyone.
Great opinions peeps!
I would choose animals over humans, for many of the above reasons... not to say I hate humans! I'm just more partial to animals (and tortoises) Great subject, though, I wish I could adequately describe my opinion, but these things are just so complex, and the reasoning behind them are hard understand, I'm not sure how I could AND offer up the entire 'thing'...
Hahaha, what a convincing post this is!
Everyone has different opinions, so I'll leave it here... :D

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
Tortoises are better. Way better. Most humans are idiots whose ancestors should have been taken down by some prehistoric carnivore or some preindustrial plague. I've worked in customer service for years, and I can tell you that most folks aren't like the good people on this forum. Most folks are selfish idiots who don't think twice about punching a toddler in the gut to get ahead. When you see people trample a man on Black Friday, then argue with the police who ask them to leave the crime scene, you know that the species with which you are dealing needs some serious culling by way of mother nature's wrath.

However, this is loaded, because I eat meat. I clearly don't believe all creatures deserve rights. Also, when I go to the bathroom, I'm flushing billions of micro-organisms into sewage treatment centers where they will most certainly meet a chemically induced death. Whenever I fall ill, I consume antibiotics, killing billions of infectious agents and many of my own cells in the process. Every day, I take a shower, using antibacterial soap, which certainly kills thousands, if not millions, of microscopic organisms that have made a home of my epidermis. When I sleep with my girlfriend, I've condemned thousands of reproductive cells to their deaths, negating the very purpose of their existence. And what about plants? Why should animals have rights but not plants?

But ultimately, I'm guilty of drawing this arbitrary line of distinction as well. I value tortoises over people. I would never eat a tortoise, or a turtle. But I have eaten rattlesnake, alligator, various foul, various mammals, and countless different species of crustacean. And I would also eat human if given the opportunity, especially if the human was a jerk who I thought was deserving of being eaten and so long as they seasoned him just right. If that isn't indication of my consideration of tortoises over humans, then I don't know what is.

T.G.

Lyles

Turtles and tortoises are quiet (except when making sex but that's ok), which makes them the best company for me.

I am easy going, but I don't have tolerance for most people and would rather be alone.

yillt

Turtles and tortoises are quiet (except when making sex but that's ok), which makes them the best company for me.

I am easy going, but I don't have tolerance for most people and would rather be alone.
I know that some people find their silence off putting but I rather like it to. ;)