Humidity confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shellbaby22

5 Year Member
I just got a RF and he has a RI. Everything I read says they need high humidity, misting, soaking, etc. The vet says he was getting too much moisture and that caused the RI. What am I doing wrong? Please help so I can keep him healthy.

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenmoore, PA
Humidity with cool temperatures can cause a RI. Keep your temps up in the high 70s-80s and humidity is a good thing.:)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I don't think it was to much moisture, RI's usually develop when they are wet and cold, warm and humid is good, cold and humid is bad.

LindaF

5 Year Member
perhaps the temps in the enclosure was too low. Wet and cold is not a good combo. what are your temps?

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
There are others here with more experience treating RI's, but from what I've understood from them, low temps or low humidity are more likely to be the cause.

I'd suggest double checking your temps. 82 degrees fahrenheit seems to be the ideal minimum ambient temperature. While treating a RI, I'd probably run it even warmer.

*Love being a slow typer..... In the time I spent thinking about a response 3 others beat me to it... Typing olympics anyone? LOL

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Shellbaby22:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

moswen

5 Year Member
hello! the others are right on, but your temps may not even be the problem: did your tort come with the ri? or get it less than a day after you recieved it? the tort could have gotten into a humid and cold condition during shipping, so make sure you look at all the angles before you start freaking out and tweaking your enclosure temps!

--however, i also completely agree with balboa, whenever you are treating a uri, you need to keep the humidity down (while still soaking daily and providing constant access to water!) and the temps ~10-15 degrees warmer than normal. it would also be a good idea to take out his humid hide box during treatment if you have provided him with one.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
A couple quick clarifications...

1. RI is a catch-all term for several diseases of the lungs, throat, etc. Most of the time the real problem is Upper Respiratory Tract Disease, URTD, as opposed to pnuemonia or the other RIs that exist out there.

2. RI is caused by bacteria, not climatic conditions. HOWEVER, most tortoises carry the bacteria in small numbers, and they will grow and flourish when the animal is stressed. Too hot or cold, too dry or wet, other micro-organisms growing in the habitat, mold or mildew, other tortoises actively shedding germs, over-crowding, and more can trigger the problem.

3. There is a risk in overdoing anything, and this may be an example of the risk of over-doing misting, watering, etc. We want a safe, healthy balance.

May we ask for an overview of your set-up and cares?

Shellbaby22

5 Year Member
Thank you for all of your responses. I'm thinking he had the RI when I got him. I just want to make sure he doesn't get another one and that I'm providing him with the right environment. His temp is around 80 or above and humidity about 60-70.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
80f is probably OK as long as there is other warmer areas, I generally aim for 85f. 60-70% humidity is also OK as long as there are some more humid places, like the hides, and good overall hydration.

Status
Not open for further replies.