humidity in turtle top box

Kaliman1962

Hi, i Have my baby in a turtle top box, his bedding is organic soil & cedar bark, its not super deep the substrate.
i have moss in his hide box, temp reaches 99 in the day, cooler in his hide box, i spray the tank numerous times a day to soak the bark, & he gets soaked everyday. so how do i keep up the humidity? i just put a plastic lid over half the open side to tray to keep more humidity in, will this do?
Also how much humidity is in a desert? can you guess give me some tips, or do i need to keep him in a tub, sealed to keep humidity in, but how do the lights get through the plastic with out melting?
Thank you

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
You should have 80% humidity. Closing things up with aluminum foil works for me.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
You must not have read the care sheet we referred you to. It explains this.

Can't we word things a bit different? It is so easy for these boards to get a cliquey, condescending feeling to them. I see the other posts where others have felt the same and some left. Remember, they get more info, and the tortoises get better care, if they stay around and learn. Pretend the person you are posting to is standing in front of you and you want to be their friend. You are an admin, can do what you want, but it is something to think about.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I guess I came across other than how I meant to. Sorry.

Kaliman1962

It's fine, I'm sure there are other threads, I just thought I could get some new ideas or help, i'm having a hard time keeping humidity, I just put a plastic top over half of the turtle top, up to the lights, hope this helps, I soak him once a day, should I do more?

Kaliman1962

I'm getting one today, but the tank dries up so fast, I spray it down 4-5 times a day

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Air flow eats humidity. Get out the aluminum foil.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
As much as you can. The heat in the tub creates airflow out of the box and then draws in the outside air. That is why it dries out.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi I have couple of RF yearlings. Have kepts them since right after they hatched and most of what I know I learned either on or thanks to this forum. My understanding is that all babies no matter what species should be raised warm (no cooler than 80f) and very humid, at least 80% humidity). I keep mine in 40 gal tank and have succeeded at both, at least, so I think. This is how my top looksImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1468596323.033870.jpg and these are the probe reading from inside of one of the hidesImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1468596385.411613.jpg. If you'd like to see all the details of this tank (how I covered the top and with what) pls go to the SEARCH and type "pearlys 40 gal tank, covered top" or something like that. It should pull up the whole thread where you can learn more details.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Cut a hole in the side of tub and put in some plexiglass?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
You can buy thick sheets of plexiglass/acrylic at lowes or Home Depot to cover it. They can cut it depending on the size you want. You could cover part with that so you can still see in the enclosure. Just make sure the lights are not blocked. This is a small section using the acrylic. It usually starts to really get covered in moisture but I can still see inside some areas.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1468596609.707532.jpg

Kaliman1962

image.jpeg image.jpeg This is what i'm doing right now, I put a humidity gauge in, showing (0 right now, I hope I can keep it up, I also just bought a night heat bulb, cause I noticed at night my tank gets down to 73, but in his hide box he has a heating pad under, so i'm assuming it's warmer in there, but I got a night bulb

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
View attachment 180375 View attachment 180376 This is what i'm doing right now, I put a humidity gauge in, showing (0 right now, I hope I can keep it up, I also just bought a night heat bulb, cause I noticed at night my tank gets down to 73, but in his hide box he has a heating pad under, so i'm assuming it's warmer in there, but I got a night bulb
Your humidity is still going to escape unless you cover the entire thing. What did you buy for night heat? I hope not one of those red bulbs.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, i Have my baby in a turtle top box, his bedding is organic soil & cedar bark, its not super deep the substrate.
i have moss in his hide box, temp reaches 99 in the day, cooler in his hide box, i spray the tank numerous times a day to soak the bark, & he gets soaked everyday. so how do i keep up the humidity? i just put a plastic lid over half the open side to tray to keep more humidity in, will this do?
Also how much humidity is in a desert? can you guess give me some tips, or do i need to keep him in a tub, sealed to keep humidity in, but how do the lights get through the plastic with out melting?
Thank you

Trying to word it nicely here: Did you read those threads that Yvonne linked? All of this is explained in there. You can't keep humidity up with an open top. Closed chambers with the lights inside are best. Misting does very little, which brings me to my next observation…

You said the substrate is not very deep. Deeper substrate will keep things more humid. Shoot for at least 3-4". You have to dump water into it periodically to keep it damp. Spraying the surface won't do much of anything.

Also, I don't recommend soil for their substrate. It is too messy and you can't know what it is made of. It could be filled with garden chemicals, or made of composted toxic plants like oleander. You said "cedar", but it looks like cypress mulch in your pic. Also not my favorite for a baby sulcata, but not terrible. Fine grade orchid bark works best.

All of mine try to eat the moss. This could lead to impaction. I don't use or recommend it for baby sulcatas.

Sulcatas do not come from a desert. They come from grasslands and forest edges. It takes a lot of rainfall annually to maintain grasslands and forests. They do have a dry period for part of the year, but the sulcatas are underground during this time. They thrive during the hot, wet, humid, rainy, monsoon season. Babies in particular hatch at the start of the rainy season.

99 in the hide box? That is too warm. 99 under the basking bulb would be good, but the hide and the rest of the tank should range from about 80 as a low day or night, up to the low 90s on a hot sumer day. What are your four temps? Warm side, cool side, basking area, and overnight low?

If you'll take a moment to read those links, all of this is explained and there is a link to a closed chamber thread too.

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
You need to use a thermostat to control your heat mat that is under the hide. It's probably higher than 99 under the substrate if your tort burrows he could be burned.