10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ya, what Jacqui said:p

bigred said:
wellington said:
bigred said:
I like these kind of posts, always time for a little fun. So I woke up early this morning made coffee and brought my wife coffee and pound cake in bed, like I always do. I must admit she does more of the dishes and cleaning than I do. I do alot of the laundry, I guess we each do our own thing to help out= she probably does a little more tho. I can walk by a sink full of dishes for a week or so, she cant:D

I don't get it. Guys have a way of not seeing certain things, selective seeing, hmmm. How do you do that?:D. Oh, and you also seem to think a garbage bag has an endless bottom, hmmm again, really:p:D Now, if I got the coffee pound cake in bed, well I could forgive the selective seeing:D

I took the kitchen trash out today but it didnt actually make it to the outdoor trash can. I just threw it out the back door:D

LMAO, that's what I do. Then he has to take it the rest of the way:D or the varmits will get into it, then HE will have a big mess to clean up:)

lovelyrosepetal said:
Word History: This very Good Word originated as Old English husbonda, one of many words snitched from Old Norse. This one was originally husbondi "freeholder, peasant with his own farm", a compound noun made up of hus "house" + bondi "estate owner", the present participle of bua "to have a household". This is where the meaning of "to manage a farm" originated. The Old Norse-speaking Vikings who invaded England in the 9th-11th centuries century often took Anglo-Saxon wives. These women proudly referred to their men as land-owners. Other women later stretched the truth until the meaning of the noun husband changed but not that of the verb. Curious, eh what?

http://www.alphadictionary.com/goodword/word/husbandry

This is what I found when I looked it up. I had thought the term was in reference to when husbands use to be the sole providers for their wives, so when talking about husbandry I imagined it was how well a man provided for his wife and
children, but it looks as though I was wrong.

I like Jacqui's meaning better:D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I count my blessings every day. I married a woman with a strong traditional Italian background. I am not ALLOWED to cook and clean, and I better not even think about doing the laundry. Those things are the woman's job according to her upbringing. BUT, her car and the yard better be in tip top shape. And if there is a noise in the house at night, its MY job to go investigate and handle whatever it is. Its all a trade off. We never assigned chores or anything. She just does her things and I do mine. We are both happy with the arrangement. At least in my case, the wife is quite satisfied with our "husbandry".

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tom said:
I count my blessings every day. I married a woman with a strong traditional Italian background. I am not ALLOWED to cook and clean, and I better not even think about doing the laundry. Those things are the woman's job according to her upbringing. BUT, her car and the yard better be in tip top shape. And if there is a noise in the house at night, its MY job to go investigate and handle whatever it is. Its all a trade off. We never assigned chores or anything. She just does her things and I do mine. We are both happy with the arrangement. At least in my case, the wife is quite satisfied with our "husbandry".

I want to hear her side:p:D Just kidding of course. My husband does help put with the cleaning and dishes, etc. i don't demand it, but he'd better :p :D I bite my tongue most of the time, as its just not done the right way, my way, and I have to go behind him, when he's not looking of course and redo most of what he's done. I don't know, most men just can't or won't match bowls or remember what can go in the dryer and what can't, and they don't move furniture when they vacuum. He does cook once in a while too, that he is better at then me :( However, I do a lot of the considered "men's work" too. The Tom boy in me likes that kind of work better. House work is never ending. The important thing, is if both parties are happy with the arrangement.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
I thought about making this topic not long ago. I figured husbandry was an archaic term comparing taking care of something to a husband taking care of his wife.

You need to take care of your tortoise as a husband would his wife. Feed her, house her, etc.

But apparently that's wrong. lol

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Hey Barb, That is the very thing I hate about housework. The fact that it is never ending. I don't mind cleaning but to constantly clean the same stuff over and over again is so annoying and gets old really fast. I also hate the fact that you can never really be done with cleaning, in that, no matter how clean you have cleaned up, you can still do a better job, so aggravating! My husband is also a better cook than I am, but he never cleans up after himself. Typical man.:D

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Fun post! I also agree with Jacqui, every home is different. Whatever works!

(note: Yet work within the house tends to be relentless; cooking, washing, cleaning...then do it again. Is that where the word, 'drudgery' came from? While outside chores, unless you are on a farm, are more discrete and variable. Not always, but in general.)

Still, I can't complain, I married a non traditional Italian man who does most of the cooking, often the laundry, some cleaning.
Likes his sports, etc., but will pop up and check the spaghetti sauce during the adverts! Or is he really just getting another beer? ;)

Anyway, it works out well for both of us (back to my original statement!).

And it does sound like the term, 'husbandry', has a more agricultural meaning.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
lovelyrosepetal said:
Hey Barb, That is the very thing I hate about housework. The fact that it is never ending. I don't mind cleaning but to constantly clean the same stuff over and over again is so annoying and gets old really fast. I also hate the fact that you can never really be done with cleaning, in that, no matter how clean you have cleaned up, you can still do a better job, so aggravating! My husband is also a better cook than I am, but he never cleans up after himself. Typical man.:D

Yes, I hear you loud and clear. Also with the husband not cleaning up after he cooks, ugh.:)

lynnedit said:
Fun post! I also agree with Jacqui, every home is different. Whatever works!

(note: Yet work within the house tends to be relentless; cooking, washing, cleaning...then do it again. Is that where the word, 'drudgery' came from? While outside chores, unless you are on a farm, are more discrete and variable. Not always, but in general.)

Still, I can't complain, I married a non traditional Italian man who does most of the cooking, often the laundry, some cleaning.
Likes his sports, etc., but will pop up and check the spaghetti sauce during the adverts! Or is he really just getting another beer? ;)

Anyway, it works out well for both of us (back to my original statement!).

And it does sound like the term, 'husbandry', has a more agricultural meaning.

Hey, as long as he stirs then he can have the beer:)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
True, Barb!

And the important thing, Tom, is that you do count your blessings every day. We all need to do that more often.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
Tom said:

That is how our house works too. In fact, if he does clean I have to reclean because I like it done a certain way but there are chores he has to do and likes to do them in his own way too. :D

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
Ugh! With that selective seeing! Is that what it's called? Socks are my main nemesis! They are EVERYWHERE and my kids have started leaving theirs all over in random places too! I defiantly enjoy the husbandry with my torts! BUT, I have to admit sometimes (ok most time) I chose to do something outside with the torts to avoid seeing what is becoming of my house! Bottomless garbage can???? How about everything and everywhere becomes the garbage can!

Status
Not open for further replies.