I always feel like a fool when...

tglazie

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
I always feel like a fool when I see a topic on the forum that sounds really compelling, so I read the posts, and it is compelling, and a member has commented recently, so that makes it even more compelling, but then I realize after I've posted (sometimes multiple times) that the thread is over two years old. I always feel less foolish when more people fall into the trap, something I should start referring to as the La Brea Tar Pit effect.

T.G.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
LOL, I have done that a couple times. It does make one feel foolish. I figure though, seeing all questions and subjects are asked over and over and over, it doesn't hurt to have some of the old threads pop up once in awhile. After all, it shows most answered questions or subjects are there to be found if a search is done.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Yup , I feel like a dope when I get sucked in to that trap ! I find it irritating simply because it does come up over , and over , and over . It sure doesn't need to be dragged back up from 3, 4, or 5 or more years ago !

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I try to close those threads when they reappear, but I don't always see them. It used to be that the program automatically closed old threads but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I try to close those threads when they reappear, but I don't always see them. It used to be that the program automatically closed old threads but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.
I don't know if it is possible with the forum software but I'm on another forum that pops up a message that says something like "This thread is 326 days old. Are you sure you want to post?" The poster has to confirm in order to post on a older thread.

Some people just aren't aware of the dates. They may do a search for a topic and that thread came up.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I always feel like a fool when I see a topic on the forum that sounds really compelling, so I read the posts, and it is compelling, and a member has commented recently, so that makes it even more compelling, but then I realize after I've posted (sometimes multiple times) that the thread is over two years old. I always feel less foolish when more people fall into the trap, something I should start referring to as the La Brea Tar Pit effect.

T.G.
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who does this!!!!! :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't mind old threads being brought back up at all. Sometimes I miss them the first time around, and usually the info is still relevant.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Some old threads are still very helpful.
How many truly new questions do we see?
Some of them are the same issues worded differently and still asked.;)
That is so true. What is frustrating is when you reply to the original poster without realizing that person probably already had their question answered and may not even be on the forum anymore.

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
It all depends. Sometimes a person is looking for advice on what sort of tortoise to get or what to do about a sick tortoise. Seasonal questions often have some degree of immediacy, especially given that many brumation questions pop up in the autumn/winter months, just as planting and laying questions generally abound in the spring. Regarding these posts, time truly is of the essence, which isn't to say that late advice is a bad thing. I mean, better late than never. Trouble is that I feel like a dope for having not noted the time. I generally try to join discusions, especially ones where a prompt answer would probably be for the best, when they are contemporary.

T.G.