I find this very enlightening.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
The Daily Caller is a right wing rag founded by Fox News "commentator" Tucker Carlson. I wouldn't believe a damn thing on that site.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
lushcious said:
I've always thought PETA as somewhat sketchy.. they always exaggerate everything.

That's exactly my thoughts on it too.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
GeoTerraTestudo said:
What about the ASPCA and the WSPA? Do they do good work?

My husband and I are very strict vegetarians and we try to live cruelty free. We do eat dairy and eggs from certain approved farms. We don't wear leather or purchase products that contain animal materials or are tested on animals(this is hard for make up). We made this switch two years ago. We didn't go through and throw out anything we had that was not cruelty free because it makes no sense to do that. We are not extremists and we don't push our beliefs on others. We don't think we are perfect but we do the best we can to adhere to our beliefs.
One factor that was a huge reason we became vegetarian, was something my husband learned in a pre-med biology class he was taking. The US has an increasingly meat based diet. Our ancestors ate meat but not at every meal or the ounces we consume daily. This is causing a couple of issues, first is that the obesity and cardiac issues are on the rise. The second issue is that more of the world is beginning to adopt our diet. As the meat consumption and production increases the amount of people in the 3rd world starving also increases. He learned the calculation of how many calories it takes in grain to raise an animal vs how many calories they provide when slaughtered. The animals eat some insane amount more calories than they provide when slaughtered. Most commercially raised livestock are fed grain instead of just free range grazing.
We donate to the WWF and to the ASPCA. ASPCA helps animals. They help rehabilitate injured or abused animals and helps place them in homes.ASPCA is an amazing organization.
I have known since college that PETA is a terrible organization. I was briefly a member. To say that my dogs are slaves is crazy. If anything, I am the slave. I am working and making money so my dogs (and betty) can have free housing, health care, prescription food, and any toy or accessory they could ever want. I am sure my pets (and most loved pets) wouldn't live that wonderful life out in the wild.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
PETA is scary..

If you want to donate money,, find a group or organazation that does not have High overhead of Highly paid CEOS.
Check out places like Project Survival www.cathaven.com or Wild Conservation Network www.wildnet.org
100% of the money you give goes to the project.. not high paid CEOS.
You would also be better off donating locally. to your local shelter of SPCA. and ASPCA and your local spca are NOT the same.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Support your Local Shelter! That way you know where your donations are going because they ALWAYS need help and supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.