Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
First of all, let me start out by saying, "I HATE TO MOW!!!!!" I will use any old excuse to get out of it...it's too windy, it's too hot, the grass is wet, it's too light, it's too dark...well, you get the picture.

Today I think I have a legimitate excuse. I had made two passes around the edge of the desert tortoise pen and was just starting on my third pass when I saw this in front of the mower:

09-21-13_zps4f02b90d.jpg

Well, actually I only saw one, but I turned off the mower and went looking for more, and I found one more.

So now I have a real excuse! I can't mow because there are probably two or three more of them hiding in the tall grass!

I guess one of the females I took in last spring was gravid. They still have a little nubbin on their belly. They're just fresh out of the nest. I never did see a hole where they came from. But aren't they just the cutest little things?

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Wow!! I agree - You should never mow again!! =D (Though you'd never see itty bitty babies in tall grass either!)

mikeh

5 Year Member
Nice to see you were on the look out, but looks like the water dish wasn't so lucky. :D

sent from mobile device using TFO app

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree, never mow again, never know how many babies may be trying to run from the chopping monster:D. What a great legit reason to get out of it:D
Cute babes btw.

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
What a nice surprise! Good thing you found them before the mower found them and before the weather turns. Are you going to name them after your mower? LOL like John and Deere?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I hate mowing too Yvonne. That's why I pay Miguel to do it :D but great excuse indeed today. Awesome little guys. I also notice perhaps that misty got ahold of that lid there maybe? Lol

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Agree Yvonne. You have now been given the ruling by your peers to never mow again... (like that is going to work). Glad you had your eagle eyes on this morning, these guys are LUCKY. Hope you find more, look forward to an update.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
I am so glad you saw them. How horrible it would have been for them to be injured/killed by the lawn mower. They are so cute. I love desert tortoise hatchlings. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
mikeh said:
Nice to see you were on the look out, but looks like the water dish wasn't so lucky. :D

sent from mobile device using TFO app

I had to laugh out loud when I read this response. Most of my plastic bowls and lids look like this. I use them to offer a treat to Misty and when the treat is gone, she has to see if the bowl might be edible too.

I went back out there a bit ago and walked all over the yard again, and found one more. That makes three!

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Wow! These little DT babies just hit the tortoise lottery and they don't even know it, ending up with the DT goddess, Yvonne. Between that and missing the mower, they may be the luckiest babies of the year.

Oh, and the other thing I love about this photo besides the darling babies and the chewed dish is the printed out 'To Do' list. So organized. Like the Mary Poppins of DT keepers.

Thalatte

5 Year Member
You know how you solve the whole mowing issue?

Get more Torts!

ben awes

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
First of all, let me start out by saying, "I HATE TO MOW!!!!!" I will use any old excuse to get out of it...it's too windy, it's too hot, the grass is wet, it's too light, it's too dark...well, you get the picture.

Today I think I have a legimitate excuse. I had made two passes around the edge of the desert tortoise pen and was just starting on my third pass when I saw this in front of the mower:

09-21-13_zps4f02b90d.jpg

Well, actually I only saw one, but I turned off the mower and went looking for more, and I found one more.

So now I have a real excuse! I can't mow because there are probably two or three more of them hiding in the tall grass!

I guess one of the females I took in last spring was gravid. They still have a little nubbin on their belly. They're just fresh out of the nest. I never did see a hole where they came from. But aren't they just the cutest little things?

How awesome is that find! WOW, like Christmas morning in the middle of September. It would feel like winning the lottery to me to find babies when I did not expect them! Great eyes to see them before the mower did.

What will you do with them? Sell them, raise them?

Ben

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
I am selling my house and moving near you so I can adopt them. : )

Yvonne, are these from that huge female (that I totally fell in love with) which had oil or grease on her? She was so lovely. Are these her babies, left behind?

reatrocity

5 Year Member
West Virginia, United States
Wow Yvonne! What a surprise! I'm glad their safe now. I would be absolutely horrified if I was mowing and found them. I definitely wouldn't want to mow then either. They are so cute!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They are up for adoption, and it's against the law to "sell" them, so the adoption is free, but I won't ship.

I don't know who the mama is. Never saw anyone digging nests.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Wow those are some lucky torts . Ole eagle eye!

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.