I have a few questions.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California, bay area
I am not an expert either, but it looks more like a sulcata then a leopard to me. The good news is the care is basically the same :)
im 100% thats a leopard tortoise. if you look on the picture they posted the tort has two large scales on his nose thats a leopard trait not a sulcata trait.
Baby Leopard Tortoises in hand.JPG images.jpeg

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Courtney
Cute little tort but with out spots on its shell it don't look like a leopard tort to me . I could be wrong I only have 22 leopards of my own . And leopards rule ! I would like to see Picts of the leopard in its enclosure . ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1420973031.150466.jpg

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Hello Courtney
Cute little tort but with out spots on its shell it don't look like a leopard tort to me . I could be wrong I only have 22 leopards of my own . And leopards rule ! I would like to see Picts of the leopard in its enclosure . View attachment 113824
Well, if you only have 22 then I'm not sure you're qualified to take a guess :):) :)

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Well I was going by the spots as well, but the nose is a good point. I only have 5 Leopards and 0 Sulcatas.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
crtnyrc,

Can we see a few more pics? Plastron photos too.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Courtney:

That's a little leopard baby, and his shell is quite different from the normal. Take a look at the new growth. See how speckled it is? Normal new growth on a leopard, at first, is black, then as it grows it mottles. Also, the two vertical scales above his nose screams "Leopard!" I'm very interested to watch this baby grow and develop. Please keep us in the loop. Also, he looks very, very dry. I think he might benefit from the coconut oil. Take a look at this thread:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/coconut-oil.103782/

If you decide to go with that, be sure to polish it off with a soft, absorbent cloth.

crtnyrc

Thank you everyone for your help and input! I truly appreciate all of you! I am glad to know that we have a little leopard. I've been calling it an it since we can't know sex yet, but from now on I'm calling it a him because he looks like a grumpy old man. His name is Shellby.

Yvonne, I will have to buy some coconut oil tomorrow. Does his shell look okay besides that?

Update on the health: I did a carrot soak last night and he perked up a little. This morning I did another and he was trying to chomp on the water. I got a piece of endive (still growing my greens and my TNT should be here very soon) and he ate it. I took him out of the bath and he kept eating quite a bit. After I rinsed and put him back, he cruised around a bit before falling asleep.

We got plastic for the top of the tank and put it on a little bit ago. I'm still waiting for the humidity and temps to even out before I make adjustments. I do not have a UVB in there right now because I had to order a tube bulb. There is a terra cotta water bowl that you can't see because of the wrapping paper. 20150111_130651.jpg 20150111_130917.jpg 20150111_131113.jpg 20150111_130651.jpg

crtnyrc

Another question: How often should he be eating? I read from Rodney Pettway on Facebook that they emerge from their burrows in the morning and evening to graze. Should I feed in the morning and a few hours before bedtime?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They should eat every day. I put out a pile big enough to last all day every morning. If there is some left over, I feed less the next day. If its all gone, I feed more the next day. In the case of a struggling young one like yours, I would offer at least two big piles in the hopes that he will keep stumbling into the food and just eat more and more. Once you've got your issues all sorted out, then you can begin to consider quantity more. For now, get as much food into him as you can.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
That is exactly what I do. I feed as much as I think mine will eat in the morning and a smaller amount after their soak in the evening. I am very glad to hear he is perking up and doing well. It will be interesting to see his color development. I can say I have learned something today, so it's a good day.

crtnyrc

Even though Tom said that soaking once a day should be sufficient, would it hurt anything to do it twice? It seems like it gets him moving and perky and more apt to eat.

crtnyrc

Before this hunger strike, he would typically be awake and exploring about an hour or two after I turn on the day light. Then I would soak him then he would eat. He would be active again around 4 or 5 and I would feed him again.

crtnyrc

I'm sorry. I realized I was missing a photo.

20150111_131046.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Even though Tom said that soaking once a day should be sufficient, would it hurt anything to do it twice? It seems like it gets him moving and perky and more apt to eat.

Perfectly fine. In this case it sounds like it will help.

Before I go back and re-read this entire thread, what are your four temps? Warm side, cool side, basking area and over night low?
What are you using for night heat?

crtnyrc

We just put the plastic on top of the tank today and put a different basking/uva bulb in today. It is hung lower and is a lot dimmer now. It seems more pleasant for him. Previously, our temps were between 95-100 hot spot, 80-85 ambient and 50-70% humidity. Only the last few hours, the hot spot is closer to 90-95, ambient is around 85 and humidity is now around 80%. We have a closed chamber as of today. The night heat has been a red night heat bulb keeping overnight in the 80s. In a few hours, I will be changing out the bulbs and seeing what the temp goes to and I will set alarms overnight so I can check it and make adjustments.