I need help!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
RE: Still confused?

They will get about 8~10 inches at full grown. Individual case may very.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RE: Which is better?

caits1300 said:
Gallons??

You can't really go by "gallons" when sizing enclosures for tortoises because "gallons" includes the sides and how deep the container is. You want a large floor space, not deep sides. Whitney was just trying to give you an idea of a size.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
RE: Which is smaller when full grown?

And a 55 gallon is WAY too small for anything other than a hatchling russian or hermanns too.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

I still haven't seen the reason why this matters to you...
If we knew why your were asking, we might be better able to help you.

All of those are similarly sized as adults. Females get a little larger than males, Eastern hermanns get a little larger than the two others, and there is some typical variation in size amongst individual tortoises of all three species.

All of these species are within a few inches of each other as adults. For example a small male russian might be 6", while a large female hermanni might reach 10". All of them are somewhere in that range, and all of them have similar housing requirements.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas

Many people get an animal and like smaller ones because of the "cuter" aspect or bigger ones because, well, bigger is better. It isn't always an issue with how to house them. caits1300 never indicated that housing was the issue here. caits1300, in case housing wasn't your point, I would like to chime in. Size in tortoises is very much like that of humans and any other animal. There is a great variance among even the same bread or species. I have 4 russians and they range from 5" to 7". The one that is 7" was actually the second smallest going into the winter and she has sprouted and gained almost 2" on the others. If housing is not your concern, you should really be asking about personalities and care.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas

Tom said:
I still haven't seen the reason why this matters to you...

All of those are similarly sized as adults. Females get a little larger than males, Eastern hermanns get a little larger than the two others, and there is some typical variation in size amongst individual tortoises.

All of these species are within a few inches of each other as adults. For example a small male russian might be 6", while a large female hermanni might reach 10". All of them are somewhere in that range, and all of them have similar housing requirements.

I asked in the other topic as well. You really need to tell us why you are concerned with the size of the tort because there are many reasons beyond size to choose different tortoises or even box turtles.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
RE: Still confused about sizes of Mediterranean tortoises

OK here we go as simple as possible.

I'm going to do average because males and females differ.

GREEK (includes golden,syrian,buxtoni,iraqi,tunisian etc)7-13+"
EASTERN HERMANN 7-11+"
WESTERN HERMANN 6-9+"
MARGINATED 10-16+"
RUSSIAN 7-10+"

caits1300

Still confused about sizes of Mediterranean tortoises

I asked because I would like a small tortoise so males are smaller than females and Russian torts are the smallest is this correct?

caits1300

Which is smaller when full grown?

Ok thanks guys I don't really see why you have to make it so complicated and have go....I just wanted an answer not a telling off.

WillTort2

5 Year Member

Hi Caits,

I don't think anyone intended to tell you off! :) Just keep in mind, most of the forum members are very passionate regarding the proper care of torts. They don't always agree, but generally they do speak from their love of torts.

Good luck.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
RE: Still confused about sizes of Mediterranean tortoises

Yes but they love to walk around . Just because they stay small doesn't mean they don't need a big enclosure . Have you checked out box turtles? They are small with an outgoing personality.

caits1300

Still confused about sizes of Mediterranean tortoises

Ummmm no do they live in water though?

caits1300

Thanks,I just want to find the right tortoise if you get me! Do you have any idea about the sizes of the Greek tortoises?

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas

caits1300 said:
Ok thanks guys I don't really see why you have to make it so complicated and have go....I just wanted an answer not a telling off.

You got several answers on both of your threads. What people are trying to tell you is that the SIZE of the full grown tort is not always the best way to determine which you should get. There is more to their care than the size they will end up at. A 5 inch male russian will need the same sized enclosure as an 11 inch female Hermann's.

They have different needs and different personalities that make them appropriate for different people. Your continuing to ask the same question in response to questions asked to you is not going to help you in your search, and we are trying to tell/ask you the correct things in order to HELP you, not to tell you off. If you do not want to answer the questions or accept this advice or believe it to be valid then there is nothing more anyone here can help you with. You have your size chart made available to you in the other thread. Please use that information and the answers to the questions you have been asked to determine which would be best for you. That way, you can make the best choice and get the right animal for you. If you want small, get a male russian or an ornate or three toed box turtle would be my advice. A female of any species of the smaller torts/turtles will tend to be larger but that is not always going to be the case. If you want exactly how big each get that information is not available. It can be different for each animal. I have seen male russians around 4.5 inches and full grown and I once saw a 12 inch russian female that the person swore was only 4 years old. See what I mean?

caits1300

Thanks all I'm saying is I want a small tortoise and sorry to bother you all but you've probably answered this in my last question but how big does a golden Greek male get fully grown.:)

dds7155

5 Year Member

go to tortoisesupply.com and click on tortoise's for sale ,, Tyler has everything you asking there , also a Great place to buy your tortoise ,i'm sure he will tell you what you need ,, good luck

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon

Have you considered buying an adult tortoise? Then you'll know EXACTLY how big it will get because it will be full grown...

caits1300

No because I don't want an adult one..awks..

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Re: RE: Still confused about sizes of Mediterranean tortoises

caits1300 said:
I asked because I would like a small tortoise so males are smaller than females and Russian torts are the smallest is this correct?

Males tend to be smaller, yes. I have a make Dalmatian hermann tortoise, who I bought as an adult, that is only 5.5 inches. Pretty small, but still needs a big enclosure (in case that's why you're thinking about getting a smaller tortoise). I admit that's why I originally looked at Mediterranean tortoises, and then I fell in love with the Hermann tortoise for their color and personality!

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Re: RE: How big do Greek tortoises get?

caits1300 said:
Ok thanks most of this was helpful,do you know how big golden Greek torts get?

Wow, you have quite a few threads about size..... To over-generalize, the majority of Mediterranean tortoises fall into the 6-12" range. Size will vary by species, sub species, sex, environment, genetics, etc. No one can give you a definitive cut off size to any particular type of tortoise. Each type has examples of exceptionally small and large individuals. If you are that concerned about size, purchasing an adult would be a worthwhile investment.