I think i Killed my tortoise

sunken

Location (City and/or State)
Other land
I left my tortoises out in the heat without checking if they have enough water, summer started so i assumed it will be just 40C but when they did not react at 1pm i panicked.

One of them is in their shell the other one slightly out i only just checked the temperature it was 46C i did not put them directly under the sun just on the shade.

I took them in quickly and sprayed them with water.

I poked them both with a metal their skin felt hard but maybe not.. is there a chance at least one survived?

Alex and the Redfoot

Platinum Tortoise Club
Cyprus
Hello!
There is a chance that they didn't die from overheating. But what tortoises specie and age?

Try to soak them in warm water: get a bucket, tub or plastic container, pour a little warm water there (not much, 1-2 cm). Keep tortoise in water for 30-60 mins, water should be warm all the time. Don't leave the unattended and don't leave them under the direct sun.

sunken

Other land
Hi I rushed them to the vet they confirmed they are both dead i turns out that they are low in calcium which is something i never thought of. didn't bother joining a community or taking them to a vet before thinking its all okay.

I got the vet's number and their support if i ever plan on getting new tortoises

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hi I rushed them to the vet they confirmed they are both dead i turns out that they are low in calcium which is something i never thought of. didn't bother joining a community or taking them to a vet before thinking its all okay.

I got the vet's number and their support if i ever plan on getting new tortoises
Did the vet actually do any test? Blood test anything?
Looking at a tortoise would not tell them lack of calcium. Vets also know little to nothing about tortoises.
They most likely died from over heating if they were small babies.
Babies should not be left outside for very long. Depending On their size it should be half hour to a few hours with lots of shade and yes water. If they were adults, they can live outside in summer again with shade and water and proper enclosure.
If you housed them together, they were under a lot of stress as tortoises should never be housed in pairs and this stress would make it harder for them to survive.
Do your homework on this forum for proper care before getting another tortoise.

Alex and the Redfoot

Platinum Tortoise Club
Cyprus

I am sorry that they are dead...

Low calcium level is a bit surprising but can happen if tortoise foods were wrong (like only cucumbers and iceberg lettuce) or they didn't get enough sunlight. If their shells were soft it could be the result of kidney failure.

If you will decide to get a tortoise again, please read this post in advance to better know how to care for them: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/info-for-new-people-please-read-this-first.202363/. You are welcome to ask questions and check everything with us before bringing tortoise home.

Vets often know how to treat diseases and injuries but not very knowledgeable about husbandry and care for healthy animals.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The vet could probably tell it was "low in calcium" or osteoporosis (soft shell and bones) because of the shape of the tortoises' shells.

I'm so very sorry you lost your tortoises. You are not alone. This has happened to quite a few of us.

sunken

Other land
Did the vet actually do any test? Blood test anything?
Looking at a tortoise would not tell them lack of calcium. Vets also know little to nothing about tortoises.
They most likely died from over heating if they were small babies.
Babies should not be left outside for very long. Depending On their size it should be half hour to a few hours with lots of shade and yes water. If they were adults, they can live outside in summer again with shade and water and proper enclosure.
If you housed them together, they were under a lot of stress as tortoises should never be housed in pairs and this stress would make it harder for them to survive.
Do your homework on this forum for proper care before getting another tortoise.
I wasn't supposed to pair them up..? They did not tell me anything other than the shell was supposed to be more rounded and that it turned into a sponge.. Ill check out more places in this forum for future care

Alex and the Redfoot

Platinum Tortoise Club
Cyprus
I wasn't supposed to pair them up..? They did not tell me anything other than the shell was supposed to be more rounded and that it turned into a sponge.. Ill check out more places in this forum for future care
No, tortoises don't live well in pairs, it's stressful for them. They are perfectly happy living alone.

Spongy and flat shell can be a sign of metabolic bone disease, usually because of lack of calcium and sunlight.

As for the information in care - check the link in my previous post. You will find all the necessary things there. Also, feel free to ask questions on your future tortoise pen/cage - we can tell what can be improved.

sunken

Other land
No, tortoises don't live well in pairs, it's stressful for them. They are perfectly happy living alone.

Spongy and flat shell can be a sign of metabolic bone disease, usually because of lack of calcium and sunlight.

As for the information in care - check the link in my previous post. You will find all the necessary things there. Also, feel free to ask questions on your future tortoise pen/cage - we can tell what can be improved.
Thank you yes I have read it and planning for the future