I think my little guy has an RI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creedence

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA
So, I went and dug my little russian up to put him inside for the night, and when he pulled into his shell, it sounded more like a squeak toy, not at all like it normally does. Like he had mucus. I didn't see any bubbles, but still. I'm planning on calling the vet tomorrow. Does anyone know of a reputable vet near Sacramento? I guess my main concern is, what should I make sure the vet DOESN'T do? I hear too many stories about ignorant vets accidentally giving lethal injections, and that would be devastating. In the mean time, what do I do until I can get him to the vet?

Update: I just woke the poor guy up again. Held him close to my ear when he pulled in, and didn't hear the same stuffy noise as before. However, I did hear a REALLY slight almost click sound? I've never really listened to him breathe so close before, so I'm not sure how normal that is. I've had him less than a month. This is so frightening :[

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Obvious signs of an RI. Lethargy, loss of appetite, swollen/puffy eye, bubbles and or mucus from the nose, open mouth breathing. If he does not have at least one of those, I would not really worry, but if going to the vet will put your mind at ease, go for it. I think in all honesty the vet is gonna look for those signs to determine if he has one, the vet should ask a lot of questions answer them honestly the vet can't help if he does not have all of the correct info, avoid vitamin shots at all costs.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Well, if you had to dig em up, there is the likelihood that he was startled as well as likely had dirt around his face/nose....so there are a couple of valid reasons that you may have noticed a noise....as Captain said, there are some visual signs as well that if you are not seeing, I would give him a bit before I hauled him off to the vet and exposed him to that stress when likely not necessary....just my thoughts is all..

Creedence

5 Year Member
Sacramento, CA
Thanks. I think I just figured it out though. Right before I picked him up he was munching on the jade plant I just planted. He had watery plant juice all over his face, so I'm pretty sure that's what the sound was about, because after I moved him inside and let him sit (dry) for a while, it stopped. I feel like an idiot, haha.

And yeah, I misspoke (mistyped? Haha) and I dug him up and THEN he was snacking. I had to do something inside before bringing him in.

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
It sounds to me like you are a good tortoise owner, that pays attention to small details.

Status
Not open for further replies.