Impressed Tortoise Habits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I have had her for almost a year and a half, a couple things I have learned from her actions are, She eats in the morning before her lights come on and in the evening after her lights are off, it is not totally dark in the room but very dark in the enclosure. This is why it took me so long to see how she eats the pothos and philodendron leaves, they disappear and I replace with new plants but never saw her eating them.the other day I looked in on her and caught her eating one, now I know she starts with the leaf end and eats the stem last after removing the leaf from the main plant. Also pound for pound she eats as much if not more cuttle bone than any tortoise I have, and she doesn't have a favorite hide she uses both about the same. I know there are not many members with this type of tortoise but I think it is interesting how they differ or are the same as the other manouria. Len

Attachments

• IMG_0010 copy.jpg
    IMG_0010 copy.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 153

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You're lucky to have found a source for CB impressa. From what I've heard, it has been a long, hard road with the WC ones, getting them to eat and reproduce. The first paper I read about them said that they only eat food if it smells like rotting wood. So they were only fed mushrooms. In fact, if I'm remembering correctly, the paper said they only eat mushrooms. We've come a long way since then, and that wasn't so long ago either.

Do you just have the one?

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
emysemys said:
You're lucky to have found a source for CB impressa. From what I've heard, it has been a long, hard road with the WC ones, getting them to eat and reproduce. The first paper I read about them said that they only eat food if it smells like rotting wood. So they were only fed mushrooms. In fact, if I'm remembering correctly, the paper said they only eat mushrooms. We've come a long way since then, and that wasn't so long ago either.

Do you just have the one?

Yes just one, but am planning on more,When I got this one I wasn't sure what I was getting into, but find them to be very interesting. They do love their mushrooms.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yep. Mine are the same way. They love oyster mushrooms and those are the best to feed them. I had a WC one for a while they would only eat bananas and cooked carrots then cooled after cooked. Potshots is the best enclosure plant for them because of its edible for them. Mine tend to have exact same temperaments and behavior. They like it dark, cool, and very wet. I love them there very interesting.

wildak

5 Year Member
They don't like the light much at all , but mine will come running when they see me and I have to be careful when hand feeding as another will take a swipe at the big bit (me) And they bite VERY hard but let go as soon as they know it's you.

Try less light and lower temps than other tortoises . Mine seem to be most active in temps between 70-75 anything higher than 80 they seem uncomfortable and breath heavy and hide.

They're one of my favorites for sure. Very smart little buggers that climb like monkeys.

3.4 Impressa 3 bloodlines and looking for more US lines.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Keep the pics coming. All the threads on impressed tortoises provide invaluable information on how to keep this rare, elusive species.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
upuntiljuly5030.jpg

Mine really enjoy rose of sharon flowers when they get them. I find it interesting that mine will not eat taro leaves. My other manouria love them, but are not so fond of the flowers.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
tortshack said:
Potshots is the best enclosure plant for them because of its edible for them.

This is a new plant for me, what is it?

It's interesting reading what you all are writing about these tortoises, sounds so much like the Erosa and Homes hingebacks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I took it to mean "pathos" (probably one of those self-correcting thingeys)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
emysemys said:
I took it to mean "pathos" (probably one of those self-correcting thingeys)

That's what my mind first thought, but then again with all the plants out there I am always hearing of a new one or twenty. :D

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
meant to say pothos, its an edible plant for them thaty provides shelter and food for them. yes it was an autocorrect sorry

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Benjamin said:
upuntiljuly5030.jpg

Mine really enjoy rose of sharon flowers when they get them. I find it interesting that mine will not eat taro leaves. My other manouria love them, but are not so fond of the flowers.

Looking good! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.