Infared

SuaveSushi

I have to fixtures in my tank. I have a basking (ZooMed) lamp that is pointed in one direction, and then a general Infared lamp that is used for chickens and such. To keep the temp in my tank, I leave on the Infared during the night. Does this (keeping on at night) or the light effect Putin at all? Or should I get new lights?ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1462243188.934536.jpg

Blakem

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
You should not use that red light for your tortoise. Imagine seeing red all of the time. Night time should be dark, just like for us. You can buy a ceramic heat emitter and set it on a thermostat and leave that on 24/7, it'll control ambient and night temps.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with Blake.

What species have you got and what size?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I have to fixtures in my tank. I have a basking (ZooMed) lamp that is pointed in one direction, and then a general Infared lamp that is used for chickens and such. To keep the temp in my tank, I leave on the Infared during the night. Does this (keeping on at night) or the light effect Putin at all? Or should I get new lights?View attachment 172253

Some folks use the red night heat bulb / black night heat bulb/ moon light heat bulb/ ceramic heat emitter/ heat ropes..I personally use the black night heat bulb as well as I have used the red heat bulb as well as moon light heat bulb....I personally find that the tortoise cozy up towards the black bulb and sleep peacefully there without any issues, period. I don't like the ceramic heat emitters because they dry out the enclosure rapidly....

Your Russian can tolerate cooler night temps as long as you do not use enclosed chamber with unnaturally high levels of humidity, if you are going to use the high humidity then yes, I would not allow the temps to ever drop below 80 degrees, day and night....better choice would be to offer some areas that are warm humid hides day and night so that the tortoise can access them as they feel the need....I would set up a warm/hot side and add some moisture directly to the soil (I hope you have removed the sand from the enclosure --it is a huge impaction risk that is not necessary) then I would place a hide just out of the direct heat so that it can remain warm but not too hot....I would then allow the cooler end to remain dry and also place a hide there or something that is appealing to the tort to scoot under if it felt the need to hide itself to sleep.....just what I would do.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I use black incandescent bulbs in smaller habitats at night:

black light.jpg

...and sometimes I even leave them on during the day to help keep the heat up in the habitat.

For larger outdoor sheds I use the red brooder bulb. I believe they are too big/hot to use in smaller enclosures. My tortoises that sleep in the sheds with these bulbs do not show any signs of being irritated by having a red bulb shining on them all night. I have the bulb at about 4' from the floor and with the pig blanket and the 250 watt bulb the sheds stay right about 78F degrees or so even on freezing nights.