Infertile Planicauda eggs!!

kingsley

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
just disapointed, I got three Planicauda eggs this year and all seems infertile!!! I incubated at 86 for 60 days cooled them at 65 for 60 days and re warmed them but no sign of any embryonic activity. I moved the group this spring, and thinking out loud if that could be the reason?? any advise is greatly appreaciated!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Moving was always my problem with the Manouria group I had. It really upset their rhythm to move them. And then, just to prove that my theory was all wet, my tortoise partner, Will, took them from Central California to San Diego where he lives, and that very same year the largest one nested and the eggs hatched. Also during that time, the male was taken to San Diego to a vet there for surgery on his back leg. I guess breeding them here just wasn't in the cards for me.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)

kingsley

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Yes and Thank You, Bill is Known to me and I keep in touch with him often. As a matter of fact just just got an email from him just a few days ago. My concern is the yolk of the three eggs are almost all settled and sedimented at the bottom , and I have never had an egg hatch once it reaches this stage, I am cooling and heating the egge and will keep doing so a few times, I have a feeling the outcome is gonna be grim!!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
What's your medium moisture when you cool them? Wet medium when cooling will easily kill diapause species. In my experience at least

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I have come to understand that sometimes re-cooling once or twice may be needed. San Diego Zoo had some that went for two years if I recall correctly.

Diapause is a tricky business.

KenS

10 Year Member!
New York
Kingsley,
Hey bud, get in touch with Will A. You know of his unmatched success with all the Pyxis and I'm sure he can help. Also with my success with diapause with my Burmese stars, I have ALWAYS put them in the cool in a mixture of 1.1 by weight and then moved them to the incubator at desired temps. I've been averaging over 90% hatch rate with my Burmese stars as you know.

Ken S