Interaction and bonding

Bertieboo

Location (City and/or State)
England
I've had birtieboo for about a month now.
He is 10 months old and settled in.
I hold him on the palm of my hand within the vivarium to bond. I was wondering how and if I can take him out of the Viv to bond more without him getting too cold.
I live in the UK so room temperatures outside viv will be quite cooler.

SenseiTestudo

Ross shire
I live in the UK and have an RT who is now 4. I got her/him at 1 year old.. I assume it's a she tbh. (Littlerock) I fairly regularly let her out of the enclosure and she loves to explore. 10 months is quite young but they are pretty hardy. I know when Littlerock is getting cold because she always finds the same corner that I assume has no draft and just sits there.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've had birtieboo for about a month now.
He is 10 months old and settled in.
I hold him on the palm of my hand within the vivarium to bond. I was wondering how and if I can take him out of the Viv to bond more without him getting too cold.
I live in the UK so room temperatures outside viv will be quite cooler.
It's the "picking him up" part that scares the Hell out of them.
If you can interact with him while he can feel the ground under his feet, it will be ideal.
And if he's on your lap or on your hand, etc. Make sure you are near the floor. Because he WILL squirm and fall eventually.
Dont let him far far.

Bertieboo

England
It's the "picking him up" part that scares the Hell out of them.
If you can interact with him while he can feel the ground under his feet, it will be ideal.
And if he's on your lap or on your hand, etc. Make sure you are near the floor. Because he WILL squirm and fall eventually.
Dont let him far far.
I was wondering if I put him on a fleece if I take him out of viv to keep him warm.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I was wondering if I put him on a fleece if I take him out of viv to keep him warm.

What part of England do you live? There are plenty warm spots right now with sun. Taking your tort out for some sunshine will probably even do it good, Do you have a sunny, warm spot in the garden you can take it out for exercise, nibbling and “bonding”? It’s good to build an outdoor spot to take your tort to, not just let it roam. Many ppl have short attention spans & their torts go missing.

ps - torts are cold blooded reptiles, so a fleece won't help keep it warm. The sun will.

Some info ➡️ https://www.timsreptiles.co.za/reptile-facts/how-reptiles-maintain-their-body-temperature