introductions

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuppermaddie

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
RE: Welcome to TortoiseForum.org !

emysemys said:
Hi Maddie: Welcome to the forum. I see no reason why George can't be happy in Arizona. Just provide him with lots of shade and maybe take him inside on those 100 degree days! I bought those little individual misters from the hardware store...the ones that connect up to the hose, and I have one in each tortoise pen. On those really hot days, I turn on the misters. It brings down the temp in that area very nicely.

As you've discovered with Buddy, they are escape artists, so be sure to build him an escape-proof pen. They dig really well, and they push the dirt behind them, covering up the hole so you can't tell where they've been digging.
Yvonne

Yvonne,
Thank you for the quick reply. I am still hoping to find Buddy. My family thinks I am nuts, but there's always a chance! He actually climbed out. I had him in a kiddie pool so he couldn't dig out, and I had refreshed his soil and moved things around and I guess there was on extra shovel full of dirt that enabled his great escape. There is a huge area of open land behind our yard, so I am hoping that even if I don't find him he will be ok out there. I miss the little guy though. George is a cutie, much smaller and very very friendly. Obviously, he's an escape artist too, so I'm watching him closely!
Maddie

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...

Hi Maddie! Sorta a mixed blessing story. Hope you find your tort soon. If you don't, be sure to let the folks moving in after you know, maybe they will find him.

bschrivener

10 Year Member!

Hello,
My name is Becky. I live in Missouri and have a male Russian tortoise named Tank. I joined this forum to get some ideas for building Tank an outdoor enclosure. I'll be looking at the pics posted here!
Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

bschrivener said:
Hello,
My name is Becky. I live in Missouri and have a male Russian tortoise named Tank. I joined this forum to get some ideas for building Tank an outdoor enclosure. I'll be looking at the pics posted here!
Thanks!

Hi Becky: Welcome to the Forum. Russians are very personable tortoises and a great pet. Got any pictures for us?

Yvonne

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

A warm (and humid)welcome goes out to you from MO. :D What part of the state are you in? I'm from Nebraska, but am spending a few days in MO.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California

WELCOME TO ALL THE NEWBIES OUT THERE!!! LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED ANYTHING.

I HAVE LOTS OF EXPERIENCE IN DESERT TORTOISE CARE, RUSSIAN CARE, SULCATA CARE, AND RED EARED SLIDER CARE.

I am located in sunny southern california, college educated (just barely smarter than the average homeless person), and a HUGE turtle/tortoise guy!

wuthevet

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member

Hi I own a California DT. I've had her for 10 years and at that time, I was told she was already 30 years old. My friend found her in his backyard and his father was going to throw her out. So, we took her in. We love her very much and I mostly keep her inside the house. Goody, my dog, and mimi would fight for food. She free range in the house and will come to the kitchen every morning for food. Mimi also, gets along with my 3 cats.

Attachments

• O 106 (Small).jpg
    O 106 (Small).jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 21

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California

do you provide any natural sunlight for her? she is bathroom trained? welcome to the club.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA

Welcome to the forum wuthevet, When I was a kid I had a DT that roamed freely in the house but had access to the back yard and spent most of the daylight hours out there foraging.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Hi Wuthevet: Welcome to the forum! I also have desert tortoises. Just a word of caution about free-range inside the house. There's lots of stuff on the floor that a tortoise can get into trouble eating. Cat/dog/human hair just to name a few. They might accidentally eat a hair and it might get wrapped around inside the intestine causing MUCH trouble. Most of the time it gets pooped out ok, but I wanted you to be aware of it. I'm so glad that you had the means to take Mimi in. Can you imagine that guy just going to toss her out? What a creep!! (Sorry if he's your friend)

Also, as you probably know, the tortoise is only as warm as the ambiant temp he's placed in. If you were to lay down on your floor (naked) you would see just how cool or cold it is. Your precious Mimi needs to spend most of her time outdoors!

Are you in Southern Calif? I'm located in Central Calif. where the weather is mostly always GOOD for desert tortoises.

Yvonne

wuthevet

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member

I live in So. Cali, she is a tough girl. I let her outside on the weekends. We have wild peacocks roaming in our front and backyard and so I try not to leave her out there without supervision. I don't want her to be getting any parasites. She mostly defecates in the kitchen, never on carpet. I've brought her to the vet couple times and they say she is in very good condition. I will be a Vet soon, so I hope to do more work in exotics. Thanks for all the advise.

mtdavis817254

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
waco tx

i am matthew davis. i own two monster sulcata hatchling that are 5 months old. i have helped many tortoise owners in the past and looking forward to learn as much about all tortoises as possible

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA

Welcome to the Forum Matthew. Looking forward to seeing pics in the Photo section of your "two monster sulcata hatchlings" :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Hi Matthew: Welcome to the Forum! There are quite a few sulcata keepers here and we love to talk tortoise!! Poop and penises especially (LOL)!! My Dudley is a little over 100lbs at 18 years of age. We're very glad to have you and your tortoise knowledge join us here.

Yvonne

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

:D Okay I'll ask....what makes them monsters, Matthew?

luieluiehus

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Northern Cali

Hi my name is aimee i am 17 years old. I have a male sulcata named Luie whom i love and enjoy very much each and everyday, he is about 5 years old. I got him for my birthday when he was just a tiny baby now he is 12 inches long and about 20 lbs. its nuts i can basically watch him grow. I will put up a picture once i get a chance. i cant wait to hear some awesome stories and share some of my own:D
peace
aimee

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California

Hi Aimee! Thanks for joining the site. cant wait to see some pics. What part of the country or world are you in?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

mtdavis817254 said:
i am matthew davis. i own two monster sulcata hatchling that are 5 months old. i have helped many tortoise owners in the past and looking forward to learn as much about all tortoises as possible

Welcome to the forum, Matthew! What a glutton for punishment you must be to start with not 1, but 2 sulcatas!!

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.