introductions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
RE: Welcome to TortoiseForum.org !

Welcome to the forum Debbie and Bam Bam. Glad you found us here.

Pogle 66

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member

emysemys said:
Pogle 66 said:
Shelley and Lambogrhini seem to have plenty of energy but very small appetites
they eat a few weeds, but can happily ignore food
should I worry that they eat so little?
thanks

You probably should post this "eating" question on the Greek forum, or a food forum, so that more folks who keep Greeks have the opportunity to help you. I don't know anything about the Greek tortoise.

Yvonne

this is really kind of you to give me some guidelines about using the site, I'm feeling my way round at the moment, but I'm keen to get it right and appreciate all expert input. :)

JourneyTort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada

Hi I am new and just in the researching stage. I have always wanted a Tortoise but have always put it off. I have the property but not sure about the weather. From Ontario, Canada. I am sure I could work something out re inside for winter and outside for summer and warmer weather. I was looking at the Leopard and/or Sulcata variety but I am thinking they are going to be way too big to take care of when wintering inside when they get older. So I am looking at something that does not grow to be quite as heavy. I could handle 50 lbs. but not 100 lbs. :)

So I will sit back and read some more about what other varieties are out there. I wasn't planning on getting a tort that hibernates and I really don't know what is involved with a hibernating species, will have to read up on that also.

Are there any varieties that max out at no more than 50 lbs?

Thanks,

JourneyTort

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Hi Journey Tort and welcome to the forum. There are plenty of folks who keep tortoises where the winters are quite cold. It can be done...its just a little harder and a little more expensive (heaters and lights, etc). Just remember, whatever kind you finally decide upon, they all need the sun occasionally to keep them healthy and strong. Any tortoise SHOULD NOT have to live in the house 24/7 for the rest of its life.

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA

Hi JourneyTort welcome to the forum. Greek, Russian, Marginated, Hermanns, Redfoots, Spiders, Stars are all torts smaller then 50 lbs. Some do hibernate. Some are herbivores and some are omnivores. Some are desert dwellers and some are rainforest dwellers and others are in between. A place to start your research would be http://www.chelonia.org/ Lots and lots of reading there and lots and lots of info on different torts. Hope this helps you get started. :)

heyjude55

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
New member from Illinois

josh said:
Welcome to TortoiseForum.org. We strive to be the leader in tortoise (and turtle) discussions on the web, covering all topics as they are related to everything from the Cryptodira suborder (thats a fancy way of saying tortoises). Our forums allow for in-depth and specific discussions which can be read by tortoise enthusiasts worldwide!

Register Now (it's free!)

I am Josh. I am the site admin/moderator/what-have-you. I love learning about tortoises and currently care for 2 desert tortoise hatchlings.
Please use this space to introduce yourself (and your tortoises).

Hi, Josh, I'm new here and don't know if I'm posting right. First of all, I want to thank everybody for putting together such a wonderful forum. I have learned so many things.

I am an animal lover and currently have 2 dogs, a 25 year old yellow foot tortoise, a 12 year old 3 toed box turtle, a 2(?) year old Russian tortoise, and 2 mid-age bearded dragons.

My question is this. I am going to try to post two pictures of a turtle/tortoise that I recently saw in my grandson's classroom. The teacher doesn't even know what it is although she's been taking care of this animal for 12 years. My concern is that different species require different care and I want to make sure she's doing the right thing. He's currently on reptile carpet/grass, with a water bowl. They feed him pellets which they put in his water. He has one light on top of his tank. I don't know if it's UVA or UVB.

Could someone please identify this animal for me so I can see what his needs are and see if he's getting the proper care?

Thanks you much.

Janet
ATT00006.jpg
ATT00015.jpg

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA

Hi Janet,
Welcome to the forum. :)
The turtle in your Grandson's classroom is an Asian box turtle, Cuora amboinensis. They are a water turtle from Southeast Asia. They need to be in shallow warm water with an easy access land area to bask on.
Here is a very good caresheet for the species http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/Camboinensiscare.htm

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Hi Janet: How lucky for that poor Asian box turtle that you took an interest in its proper care! 12 years! That just goes to show you how resilient and forgiving turtles can be. I only hope the teacher or turtle's caregiver is willing to listen to you and change the turtle's habitat!

Welcome to the forum, Janet. We're very glad to have you here.

Yvonne

heyjude55

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member

egyptiandan said:
Hi Janet,
Welcome to the forum. :)
The turtle in your Grandson's classroom is an Asian box turtle, Cuora amboinensis. They are a water turtle from Southeast Asia. They need to be in shallow warm water with an easy access land area to bask on.
Here is a very good caresheet for the species http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/Camboinensiscare.htm

Danny

Danny,

Thank you for the info. I made a copy of the caresheet and will send that along with a note to Jonathan's (my grandson's) teacher tomorrow. Hopefully she will take into consideration the needs of this turtle.

emysemys said:
Hi Janet: How lucky for that poor Asian box turtle that you took an interest in its proper care! 12 years! That just goes to show you how resilient and forgiving turtles can be. I only hope the teacher or turtle's caregiver is willing to listen to you and change the turtle's habitat!

Welcome to the forum, Janet. We're very glad to have you here.

Yvonne

Hi, Yvonne,

Thank you for your message. I just hate to see an animal not being properly cared for. I took Danny's advice and went on the website in his post and made a copy of the caresheet for my grandson's teacher. I will send it to school with him tomorrow.

Thanks again for welcoming me.

Janet

mrvrsick

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
SGV, CA

Hi, my name is Carlos and i have a wondereful Sulcata named Speedy. Just got her ( i thinkits a her ) yesterday, shes about 3in long and am getting everything ready for her. shes a bit shy, as i couldve guessed, but she goes crazy when i let her roam the yard. i have a lot of reasearch to do regarding diet, bedding, and everything else. currently looking for a good tort vet around azusa/glendora, so. cal area. hoping to post pis asap but i need a good camera.

i was thinking a sticky post with websites and faqs would be an awesome idea. i havent found one yet, unless its buried somewhere...
but please any mods, a sticky post w faqs, hints, how to's and websites would be most helpful ;]

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA

welcome to TFO, Carlos! congrats on your new pet, speedy.
if you don't mind a little driving, Dr. Tom Greek in Diamond Bar is a great tortoise vet. I've seen him before, he's real nice and will answer all your questions. He even had a booth at this years anaheim reptile breeders expo. Check out http://www.tomgreek.com/ for more information.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Hi Carlos: Welcome to the forum. I'm hoping for your sake that Speedy is a girl, but I'd be willing to bet that he's a boy!! I'm still new the this forum thing, so I don't understand the "sticky" you are referring to, but it sounds like a good idea to me!!

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA

Hi Carlos, Welcome to the forum. Currently some of us are working on that vary thing, setting up some stickys w faqs, hints, how to's and websites.
There are a few like Anja's "how to post photos" and Egyptiandans "infor on Greeks" and HerminniChris "infor on Hermanns". Just look under the headings like here http://tortoiseforum.org/forum-9.html
They are stickied under Important Threads.

mrvrsick

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
SGV, CA

speedy.jpg

thats my speedy!! first pic, that little bugger;]
ill, hope to have more and different angles soon so everyone can tell me what they think!!

longbeachskunk

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Long Beach Ca.

Hi, I live in Long Beach California and I own two 8 year old desert tortoises. I love my babies!

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California

hey welcome!! work and go to school in the san fernando valley. welcome to the forum! please post pictures of your little ones!

also see if you can join a CTTC chapter. go to www.tortoise.org to learn more!

Thanks for joining!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

longbeachskunk said:
Hi, I live in Long Beach California and I own two 8 year old desert tortoises. I love my babies!

Welcome to the forum. Desert tortoises are great, huh?

Yvonne

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Ben3233 said:
I am new, for about a week, I still don't have a tortoise. I'll probably get a Russian, herman, redfoot or a yellowfoot on october 19th (reptile expo in montreal).

I love this forum, people here a very knowledgable,cool and friendly. :D

Hi Ben: I don't remember if I ever welcomed you to the forum or not, so will do it now: WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!! Have fun at the reptile show. I really wish there were some here in Central Calif. The only ones even somewhat close are about a 5 hour drive away. Too far for these old bones to drive to.

Yvonne

mrvrsick

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
SGV, CA

welcome!(even tho im new here myself) im going to the reptile show here in pomona, ca in jan i think... still quite a ways away but its so interesting!! look around in the enclosure forum and start getting some ideas! then look for plants and grasses you can grow ;]

Status
Not open for further replies.