Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name?

jensgotfaith

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Rocklin, CA
RE: Welcome to TortoiseForum.org !

Tina Marie said:
Hi, I am new to this site - well, my first post on any site, really. My name is Tina and I have three dogs: rescue Boxer, Min Pin and Yorkie; a rescue cat and fell in love with a sulcata at the local pet shop. The more I read, the more conflicted I am - not about her being inside, but the outside enclosure terrifies me - I would rather her stay inside. Anyway, once a pen with a dog house or shed is set up - how do you keep the area clean? Oh, I live in Southern Louisiana - mild winter, generally. Any advice?
lit

Welcome Tina! How old/big is the Sulcata? For my big guy Tex, almost 7 years old and about 65 lbs., I use a claw pooper scooper originally intended for dogs. It works really well. For my little guy, Captain Jack who is almost 2 and about 1 1/2 pounds, I just use my hand or a Ziploc bag.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Tina Marie said:
Hi, I am new to this site - well, my first post on any site, really. My name is Tina and I have three dogs: rescue Boxer, Min Pin and Yorkie; a rescue cat and fell in love with a sulcata at the local pet shop. The more I read, the more conflicted I am - not about her being inside, but the outside enclosure terrifies me - I would rather her stay inside. Anyway, once a pen with a dog house or shed is set up - how do you keep the area clean? Oh, I live in Southern Louisiana - mild winter, generally. Any advice?

So Sorry that I missed your initial post, Tina. Just wanted to say Welcome to the Forum!! We'll be happy to help you with your questions. Go to the section on Sulcatas, and if you don't see your answers there, start a new thread with specific questions. Again...Welcome!!

margotlynn

5 Year Member

Hi! I just received my first tortoise in the mail today! She is a little Tortoise named Athena! I am very nervous new pet owner! There is just so much conflicting information everywhere. Any info about Greeks would be much appreciated. I am wondering specifically whether to supply water or soak. How much to feed her. I feel like a nervous new mommy! Can't wait to share tortoise adventures with everyone.
Thanks!:tort:

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV

margotlynn said:
Hi! I just received my first tortoise in the mail today! She is a little Tortoise named Athena! I am very nervous new pet owner! There is just so much conflicting information everywhere. Any info about Greeks would be much appreciated. I am wondering specifically whether to supply water or soak. How much to feed her. I feel like a nervous new mommy! Can't wait to share tortoise adventures with everyone.

Hello and welcome to the forum...Congrats on the new tortoise, there is a lot of information on the forum and everyone is willing to help..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

margotlynn said:

Hi MargotLynn:

Welcome to the forum!!

Is your name Margot? And may we know where you are?

I supply water for my babies, plus I soak them every other day.

Tina Marie

5 Year Member
Hahnville, LA

Hi everyone - I have come to a final (somewhat) decision - a friend listened to me on and one about tortoises and suggested I look toward the Redfoot - as we live in a suburb of New Orleans - can I say hot - humid - and they seem to thrive here - so, I am getting everything together for her and have a couple of questions - 1) UV lights - some say yes, some no - thoughts? 2) soaking - I read on a link from a thread here that it's not really necessary? as long as I mist and provide a water dish (which I have) and a final (well??) 3) what about evacuation - not now - but later when she is an adult? how do you all handle evacuation? - kisses - this is the best place - I read every chance I get. :tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Hi Tina Marie:

Welcome to the forum!!

It would be best for you to start a new thread in the redfoot section and get your questions answered there.

margotlynn

5 Year Member

Yes, my name is Margot. I live in Western Washington. The climate in our area could not be less tortoise friendly. Rain most of the year, so Athena is going to be an indoor tort. She seems very interested in hiding and sleeping. I am guessing this is just because she has been through an ordeal on her trek from Florida to here. It is only her first day here. Thoughts?

How great to have this community! I look forward to hearing from you guys. And thanks for the Welcomes!

dozerdog01

5 Year Member

Hey everyone I'm new on here I've got 0.1 bolivian redfoot 7yr old 13 inches a Panamanian redfoot a Columbia redfoot that's marbled and a venezuelan. Also 17 box turtles 1.1 N.A. wood turtles a radiated tortoise and two spider tortoises on the way also a Texas indigo snake 1.1 greybanded kingsnakes 2 tricolored hognose and a Florida cur (hog dog ) a small zoo I guess.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV

dozerdog01 said:
Hey everyone I'm new on here I've got 0.1 bolivian redfoot 7yr old 13 inches a Panamanian redfoot a Columbia redfoot that's marbled and a venezuelan. Also 17 box turtles 1.1 N.A. wood turtles a radiated tortoise and two spider tortoises on the way also a Texas indigo snake 1.1 greybanded kingsnakes 2 tricolored hognose and a Florida cur (hog dog ) a small zoo I guess.

Hello and welcome to the forum, and you have a nice herd there....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

dozerdog01 said:

Hi dozerdog01:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona

Hello, I have a 3 month old Sulcata, he is my first Sulcata. I had a russian tortoise a long time ago and she was wonderful! My husband and I are so excited to have him. I am excited to learn from more experienced owners as I have found a lot of conflicting information on line about the care and feeding

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Hi wrmitchell22:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

sldean

5 Year Member

[size=medium]
Josh said:
Welcome to TortoiseForum.org. We strive to be the leader in tortoise (and turtle) discussions on the web, covering all topics as they are related to everything from the Cryptodira suborder (thats a fancy way of saying tortoises). Our forums allow for in-depth and specific discussions which can be read by tortoise enthusiasts worldwide!

Register Now (it's free!)

I am Josh. I am the site admin/moderator/what-have-you.
Please use this space to introduce yourself (and your tortoises).

Hi, my name is Gracie. I live in southwestern Arizona. Last month I got a 4" redfoot named Hazel. No age was given. Any idea how old it is?

Attachments

• Hazel 5.17.11a.JPG
    Hazel 5.17.11a.JPG
    463.9 KB · Views: 10

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Hi Gracie:

Welcome to the forum!!

Your tortoise looks about 4 or 5 years old to me.

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona

Hi, sorry, I live in Southern AZ, between Tucson and Mexico :) My name is Jenn. My Sulcata is about 2 months and is awesome, he is active and eats and drinks well. Great little guy!

Gracie, do you live near me? How exciting!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV

Hi, my name is Gracie. I live in southwestern Arizona. Last month I got a 4" redfoot named Hazel. No age was given. Any idea how old it is?

[/quote]

Hello Gracie and welcome to the forum..

Status
Not open for further replies.