Irritation

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
I keep a core group of box turtles as pets, any others are rehabbed and adopted out. All Spring and Summer my box turtles are put outside in their pond area where they spend the whole day but come in the house at night because of predators. In the winter they are forced to stay in tort tables in the house and they hate me for it. At first I put in plants and rocks and hides but these are adult box turtle who destroy any additions like they were big Sulcata...also because they are adults they bully and fight and tear sh*t up. So they are seperated but that's another thread.
This is a built in hide in a tort table that's is 5'x2.5' with 2 box turtles who were both female for years, but now I guess the Chief Sex Changer is one the fence about my 'female' ornata... she/he does not go in the hide to sleep...Here she/he is sleeping in the corner...
100_1408.JPG100_1403.JPG
Ginger my Eastern box turtle cannot have any size half log as she climbs up and falls down on her baco daily, so no logs, my guy built a square hide that she couldn't climb but she could tip over trying to climb it...so this is where she sleeps...every night...my box turtles are a continuing joy to me...so fun!
100_1401.JPG

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Very cool setup Mags.....best roommates a guy or gal could ever have!
Thanks for that...I always figure my stuff looks so crappy in pictures...I need to keep jars with plant starts in them and put them in with hides as a foto op...lol100_1324.JPG
this is my slug eater she will eat slugs bigger then herself and it gets so disgusting and private that I sneak out and leave her to it...lol

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
My redfoot will eat slugs too if he comes across them at all. But I am afraid the slugs may have some kind of parasites? Don't know. It's not a major part of the diet anyway.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My redfoot will eat slugs too if he comes across them at all. But I am afraid the slugs may have some kind of parasites? Don't know. It's not a major part of the diet anyway.
A Redfoot will eat anything that's slow enough to get chomped on.

newboxiemama

Issaquah WA
Omg! My little guy NEVER uses the log as a hide and is constantly falling off. I tried to bury the hide a bit so he wouldn't tumble as easily. Within minutes, I watched him swish and dig away the dirt I had carefully packed around the log. He proceeded to run to the top to take another leap. It is ridiculous!!!

Your enclosure is lovely!!

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
"Bird", the other white meat!

Funny you mentioned that todd.....I was wondering if box turtles ate carrion to any extent...............Thanks, I just learned my "new thing for the day", can I go home now?

my stuff looks so crappy in pictures.

LMAO....they are Turtles, they live in the dirt....kind of like pigs, but different....don't ever feel bad for the care you give your guys......I'm sure they love coming to Mags house, where all the good doting happens!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
"Bird", the other white meat!

Funny you mentioned that todd.....I was wondering if box turtles ate carrion to any extent...............Thanks, I just learned my "new thing for the day", can I go home now?

LMAO....they are Turtles, they live in the dirt....kind of like pigs, but different....don't ever feel bad for the care you give your guys......I'm sure they love coming to Mags house, where all the good doting happens!

Box Turtles & Carrion. Many moons ago while hiking in the woodlands of Pennsylvania I found a nice large boxie sitting over/on a dead rabbit. Looked like it had been there for some time, lots of signs of a good protein snack. Id say they are pretty opportunistic - whatever it takes to survive.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
When I lived in California, I had a desert tort that I watched capture and eat a blue belly lizard...about 7 inches long. He ate it all