Is my tortoise healthy?

BILBO-03

We can't answer that with just a picture. We need more info what's he housed in? Where did you get him from? What are his temperatures? Give us some more info and we'll be glad to help!:)

dhruvstortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Bay Area, CA
He is housed in a large sized wooden box. we got him from a small scale breeder in the Bay area. The breeder told us to not out substrate until he is 4-5 months old. He is currently 1 month old. The temperatures he is in range from 70-95, highest being the basking spot. He is soaked daily in warm water and is fed a variety of leaves, dark green vegetables and also bermuda grass. Recently I have been concerned over his health since it seems like he has puffy eyes, otherwise he is fine since he eats really well and is active.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
What kinds of lights are you using? Is your enclosure open or closed?

dhruvstortoise

Bay Area, CA
I live in California so I give natural sunlight right now, but I am planning to buy a uva/uvb light during the winter. My enclosure is a closed wooden box but it is a pretty large one.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Can you post a picture of your enclosure? Are you aware that they need humidity? That is difficult to provide without substrate.

Bee62

Germany
He is housed in a large sized wooden box. we got him from a small scale breeder in the Bay area. The breeder told us to not out substrate until he is 4-5 months old. He is currently 1 month old. The temperatures he is in range from 70-95, highest being the basking spot. He is soaked daily in warm water and is fed a variety of leaves, dark green vegetables and also bermuda grass. Recently I have been concerned over his health since it seems like he has puffy eyes, otherwise he is fine since he eats really well and is active.

Why should a baby tortoise have no substrate in the enclosure ? That makes no sense. In nature they live on "substrate" named soil from the day when they hatch.
Can you show us some pictures of his enclosure ?