Is my tortoise sick?

Studmud

Location (City and/or State)
Malaysia
So my tortoise is acting weirdly today.

· It normally wakes up when the sun is up and sleep in the evening, but today it woke up in the afternoon and I noticed that it always shuts it's eyes for a while every few minutes or so. However, I do not see any swollen eyes. (Maybe shutting its eyes are the early signs of eye infection?).

· It used to love to eat, but today, it just showed no interest in leaves (It saw the leaf, but it just ignores it), but it drinks a lot though, as always (My tortoise loves to drink).

· And he is not that active that I used to see it exploring here and there, now it just keeps its eyes shut and bask, then it went to its hide and sleeps.

Is these normal? I'm worried.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome! Is it a Hermanns tortoise? If you will show us some pictures of the enclosure including the lights we will be better able to answer your questions.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's not normal specially for a tortoise who's normal day is not like that. I also don't like that he drinks a lot.
Post a pic of his enclosure. Also include all temps day, basking and night. Include diet and how often you give calcium
In the mean time give him a nice warm soak for at least a half hour and put some purée baby food carrots in the soak

Studmud

Malaysia
Thank you guys for your advises. My tortoise is acting actively again, it starts to eat, explore, and drink again! Maybe it's just tired yesterday, so it sleeps outside of its hide while basking at the same time.