Is this a good Setup for baby Sulcata tortoise

Jahkai

I have UVB, 100W, paper towels, hide, low heat pad, and some tiles to put his food on. IMG_1527939168.969433.jpg

Melis

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Hello! Have you read our care sheets? Just a few pointers to start out. You need an enclosed chamber to maintain high humidity to stop the pyramiding. More space will be needed ASAP. Also a proper substrate of either fine grade orchid bark or coco coir. That box won’t work for a hide once you get the humidity going. You will need a thermometer and hygrometer to ensure proper temp and humidity. Those clip on lamps can be dangerous as they can pose a fire hazard. Your baby also needs to be able to self soak. A ceramic plant saucer sunk down into the substrate works well. I’m sure more advice will be on the way. Make sure you read through our care sheets and come back with any questions :)

Jahkai

Hello! Have you read our care sheets? Just a few pointers to start out. You need an enclosed chamber to maintain high humidity to stop the pyramiding. More space will be needed ASAP. Also a proper substrate of either fine grade orchid bark or coco coir. That box won’t work for a hide once you get the humidity going. You will need a thermometer and hygrometer to ensure proper temp and humidity. Those clip on lamps can be dangerous as they can pose a fire hazard. Your baby also needs to be able to self soak. A ceramic plant saucer sunk down into the substrate works well. I’m sure more advice will be on the way. Make sure you read through our care sheets and come back with any questions :)

I have all that stuff you said it’s just right the enclosure he’s in is only temporary because he’s sick right now.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
What's wrong with him? What's the basking temp and the cool side / warm side temperatures in there?

Jahkai

What's wrong with him? What's the basking temp and the cool side / warm side temperatures in there?

On my previous post his low beak came completely off due to an infection or bacteria so I moved him and it’s harder for him to eat so I hand feed him for the most part. His basking temp is 105F and cool side 70F

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The title of the thread asks, "Is this a good set up for a baby sulcata?" So I have to answer NO! It is very much NOT a good set up. Even for a temporary set up it's bad.

You really don't need to hand feed him. Just chop the food up into very tiny pieces and place it up against a wall so he can't push it away from him when he bites at it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
On my previous post his low beak came completely off due to an infection or bacteria so I moved him and it’s harder for him to eat so I hand feed him for the most part. His basking temp is 105F and cool side 70F
Please read these threads. They contain the correct care info and temperatures. They will also tell you what bulbs to use and what bulbs to not use. They will also explain the humidity needed:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

I understand that you are using this as a hospital tank, but the temp still needs to be 80+ all over and the humidity still needs to be high. And you should not be using a cfl for UV. If you let the baby drop down to 70 at night, sickness is likely and healing will be much slower if it happens at all.