Is this a tortoise egg?

Butchyboy

Location (City and/or State)
California
I went to look at my Sulcadas this morning, and saw this next to one of them. Does anyone know what it is??
thumbnail_IMG_4735.jpg

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_4736.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_4736.jpg
    473.7 KB · Views: 1
  • thumbnail_IMG_4737.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_4737.jpg
    656.9 KB · Views: 1

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Not a tortoise egg. Looks like it could be a bird egg. Look up. If not, it must be a bead of some sort that either came in with the substrate, fell into the enclosure, or was eaten and pooped out by the tortoise.

Butchyboy

California
Not a tortoise egg. Looks like it could be a bird egg. Look up. If not, it must be a bead of some sort that either came in with the substrate, fell into the enclosure, or was eaten and pooped out by the tortoise.
I ran all that through my head too. I have grandkids living here. But it seems soft to the touch.. I'll have to ask the family when they get up. It really isn't much bigger than a humming bird egg. And the tortoises are only about 4 years old.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I ran all that through my head too. I have grandkids living here. But it seems soft to the touch.. I'll have to ask the family when they get up. It really isn't much bigger than a humming bird egg. And the tortoises are only about 4 years old.
Perhaps one of the grandkids found some sort of unripe "berry" from a bush outside and tried to feed it to the tortoise?

Tortoises will sometimes lay an undersized egg or an egg with no shell when they are starting out, but anatomically, they have no biological means of imparting that color to an egg. All eggs of all species are white.

Butchyboy

California
Perhaps one of the grandkids found some sort of unripe "berry" from a bush outside and tried to feed it to the tortoise?

Tortoises will sometimes lay an undersized egg or an egg with no shell when they are starting out, but anatomically, they have no biological means of imparting that color to an egg. All eggs of all species are white.
I've seen posts here about blue eggs. Sounds like lack of oxygen. But a blue tint.. Not bright blue like this.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've seen posts here about blue eggs. Sounds like lack of oxygen. But a blue tint.. Not bright blue like this.
I've never seen those posts. I have hatched literally over a thousand tortoise eggs, most of those from sulcatas, and I have never seen any egg that was colored in any way.

Butchyboy

California
I've never seen those posts. I have hatched literally over a thousand tortoise eggs, most of those from sulcatas, and I have never seen any egg that was colored in any way.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That is a clearly white shelled egg that is darkening on the inside for one reason or another. Do you think that egg looks like the object in your picture? I don't.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hello and welcome!

Just to check, these guys aren’t housed as a pair are they? tortoise of any species should NEVER be housed in pairs under any circumstances, they’re incredibly territorial, behaviours that look cute to us really aren’t, following one another and sleeping huddled up is all bullying the the tortoise world, you’ll eventually see more extreme signs of aggression. Anyone who tells you pairs are fine, have no idea what they’re talking about.

Small groups are ok when there’s lots of land and the correct male to female ratio.

If you only have two, they need separating asap!