Is this enclosure good enough?

Mathias Sam

Location (City and/or State)
Malaysia
So I'm new to this tortoise things but could say experienced for sliders. About 2-3 month old if I'm not mistaken so i want to make sure that his indoor enclosure is sufficient enough for it to live happily before he is big enough to be put in my backyard. Any feedback will be much appreciated.

Currently I'm in another state (Labuan) here in Malaysia from where i live (Sarawak) but don't worry because my mom and siblings handled with other reptiles before, more specifically sliders. The pictures and videos are taken from my Instagram (matt404_ shameless plug) since I am not there in the time being.

Oh ya one more thing, how do i put videos when I post? It kept on saying it doesn't support attachment with this type of file. Screenshot_2019-01-20-17-22-46-01.jpegScreenshot_2019-01-20-17-21-27.jpegScreenshot_2019-01-20-17-20-52-01.jpeg

Last edited:

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I think a closed system is always better for young torts in terms of stabilizing temp and humidity at the levels they need ... Unless you live somewhere that the levels are high enough already.

Jamie

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Put the lid on it and cut holes so your light and a CHE (Ceramic Heat Emitter) can get access. Then seal up the holes to keep the cooler air our. The science is hot air with a moist substrate creates humidity. You want high humidity so you have to seal to keep the cooler air out. Please check out https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/ this is an awesome care sheet. Good Luck and please post pictures as you watch your tiny baby grow into a bulldozer!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Some changes do need to be made. Needs a closed chamber with temps no lower then 80 any place day and night, humidity no lower then 80 and a basking spot of 90-100. Water dish needs to be a bit deeper and a clay saucer is the best and then buried to substrate level. That enclosure most likely will not last until he can live outside, which is at 10 inches.

Mathias Sam

Malaysia
From where i live, it rains on most of the weeks. Around 80% humidity during the day and 90% during the night. So is it okay if i leave it open? I do mist it every morning

Mathias Sam

Malaysia
Put the lid on it and cut holes so your light and a CHE (Ceramic Heat Emitter) can get access. Then seal up the holes to keep the cooler air our. The science is hot air with a moist substrate creates humidity. You want high humidity so you have to seal to keep the cooler air out. Please check out https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/ this is an awesome care sheet. Good Luck and please post pictures as you watch your tiny baby grow into a bulldozer!
Thank you for this man. Ill see what i can do for the moment

Mathias Sam

Malaysia
Some changes do need to be made. Needs a closed chamber with temps no lower then 80 any place day and night, humidity no lower then 80 and a basking spot of 90-100. Water dish needs to be a bit deeper and a clay saucer is the best and then buried to substrate level. That enclosure most likely will not last until he can live outside, which is at 10 inches.
Noted. Changes will be made along the way since this is just a temporary enclosure before i build a bigger one myself