Jacques, the Eastern Mud Turtle

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
And she ia Back!!! [emoji126] [emoji126] [emoji126].

Oh Jacques. You are really making everyone very happy. Well done!! And well done Bea.
Thank you, Carol!:):<3:
I am SO GLAD to see her being more active again...even though her singing is a bit off key. Of course that may be the effect of singing under water...hmmmmm:p

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Be careful of her getting too full of herself and all this overt adoration getting to her (already large) head!;)

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I've been enjoying watching old musicals lately and apparently Jacques has enjoyed them too!
Last night we watched "Singing in the Rain" with Gene Kelley and Debbie Reynolds (I think she may have a crush on Gene Kelley...)
This morning I heard sounds coming from Jacques' tank and managed to sneak a shot...

Jacques: "I'm SINGGGGIN' in the rain, Just singin' in the rain, What a GLOOOOOORIOUS feeling, I'm HAAAAAAPY again.....

View attachment 241718
With a little bit of editing, that pic looks like calendar quality to me!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
QUESTION FOR JACQUES' FANS: Although the exotic vet in Metairie saved her life, all the staff there refer to her as "HE" because of her masculine name.
Do you think I should make a little gender adjustment to her name and start calling her Jacqueline?
I prefer Jacques myself because it's quirky and unexpected, plus it illustrates the dilemma that turtle keepers have when naming a new baby tort. I like Jacques, but I COULD try Jacqueline if I gave the it French pronunciation of JACQUES-LEEN....o_O

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Thank you, Carol!:):<3:
I am SO GLAD to see her being more active again...even though her singing is a bit off key. Of course that may be the effect of singing under water...hmmmmm:p
I have heard that singing underwater does distort the sound of singing a little bit. But I am sure that that could be sorted out with some lessons and of course practice.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
QUESTION FOR JACQUES' FANS: Although the exotic vet in Metairie saved her life, all the staff there refer to her as "HE" because of her masculine name.
Do you think I should make a little gender adjustment to her name and start calling her Jacqueline?
I prefer Jacques myself because it's quirky and unexpected, plus it illustrates the dilemma that turtle keepers have when naming a new baby tort. I like Jacques, but I COULD try Jacqueline if I gave the it French pronunciation of JACQUES-LEEN....o_O
Ha ha ha. I like Jacques. It makes her unique.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I'd leave it the way it is. After all, did "A Boy Named Sue" change his name? (I'm dating myself here, I know)

MrMarg&me

Temecula California
MissMarg was the name of our oldest three toed box. Until I discovered MissMarg mating with Pearl. After creating a new enclosure for Pearl we had to accept MissMarg was actually MrMarg. I kept calling him Miss but my family protested. I think the name Jacques for a female is fun. And it suits her! Also turtles are very androgynous. Humans have to label everything.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I had lunch at The English Tea Room here in Covington yesterday, and bumped into Harry and Meghan!!! OOPS, I mean the Duke and Duchess of Sussex!!!!! :)

View attachment 241910

I am so glad you made it there at last :)

I am going for afternoon tea here in England with my friend next week. I’ll be sure to share photos with you :D

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Me: "Look what mommy brought you Jacques!!! A gut-loaded CRICKET!!!! They're YUMMY!"
Jacques: "What's a cricket? THAT thing?"
Me: "Yes- see how it's wiggling? Does't that bring out your fierce PREDATOR instinct?? Check it out!"

fullsizeoutput_8d8.jpeg

Jacques: (stretches out her neck, sniffs the cricket and recoils from it) "EWWWW!!!! It smells like a BUG!"

fullsizeoutput_8d6.jpeg

Me: "That's because it IS an insect! FRESH!!! LIVE FOOD!!! Lunch AND entertainment, all in one!!!"
Jacques: (wails...) "It's a BUG!!! BUGS STINK!!!! I DON'T LIKE BUGS!!!"
Me: "Jacques, you've never eaten a bug in your entire LIFE. You could try it JUST ONCE...It's GOOD for you! ALL turtles love to eat bugs!"
Jacques: "Not THIS turtle!!!! BUGS ARE GROSS!!!"

Me: "JACQUES.PLEASE.TRY.THE CRICKET."
Jacques: "MOM.IT'S.A.BUG."
Me: "Oh, don't go off and sulk, Jacques- that won't resolve anything..Jacques!!!..."

IMG_0266.JPG