Juagglo's new enclosure

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Thank you to everyone who has giving advice and helped me out the past couple of weeks. With everyone advice here is the finished enclosure. View attachment 182865View attachment 182866

Looks great, though I believe it's a bit small. ;) Torts are in need of a lot of space to roam around,as they are used to living in the wild.:)

What species is your tort? A pic? :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
It's a great example of a practical, functional but not necessarily very aesthetic enclosure.
Good job.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Looks practical. I start small myself and upgrade once off to a good start.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Looks practical. I start small myself and upgrade once off to a good start.

I agree, all my torts were started off in a smaller enclosure. My leopard babies are either eating or hiding. I think this enclosure is perfect size, my guess is it looks smaller in the picture.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I agree, all my torts were started off in a smaller enclosure. My leopard babies are either eating or hiding. I think this enclosure is perfect size, my guess is it looks smaller in the picture.
I kind of look at starting enclosures like this: if you give them too much rope, they will hang themselves. Simple, safe controlled environment. They learn to eat, drink, sleep in a hide. They get a bit more durable. Then you upgrade.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
What are you doing for UVB? If one of those bulbs is your uv source, I suspect it is up too high. If you are getting time outside every week, it is not a concern. Cute enclosure. I imagine you'll be building another very soon. :)

Nisi

New York
Mercury Sun power UVB If they are any lower they will be to hot. We have 100f under the hot spot and around low 80 through out rest of cage.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
What distance from the substrate is your MVB? If it's up too high, no UVB will be making it down to tortoise height. I prefer long tube fluorescents for closed chambers because of this reason - it's too hard to get both temperature and uv right with mvbs in closed spaces for me.

Nisi

New York
We have a 10.0 UVB in the back crossing over the enclosure I will have to measure when I get home.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
That's definitely within the recommended distance.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1470708547.497192.jpg

Here is the chart, and it looks like you could even go higher if the temps are too high.