Keeping different species together. Where is the line drawn.

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
@Tom I hope you're right about Russian tortoises not being imported for much longer. and if things were a little different for me I would also love to start up a breeding colony of them. I think about it whenever I see female Russians advertised. I think about my female Russian, and my coworkers female Russian and how great it would be to breed them. I think the behavioral aspects of this issue are the ones that I have thought the least about, how stupid of me.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I appreciate this discussion. I keep my animal separate and make sure that there is not cross contamination and I am not looking for an argument to keep different types of tortoises together. but I think that sometimes more in-depth discussion on the topic needs to happen when there are some, what I consider, gray areas. such as animals that are from the same country or extremely similar environments, captive bred, etc. and I am always interested to hear what people from other countries do. I like to hear different philosophies and opinions, doesn't mean I have to agree with all of them but I would like to understand where people are coming from.

You seem to have drawn a conclusion that animals from the same country are okay to mix. I would not agree. I would not keep a Florida box turtle with a CA desert tortoise any more than I would keep a leopard with a sulcata, or a Burmese Star with a Burmese Mountain Tortoise. For that matter I wouldn't keep a South African leopard with a leopard from Kenya, or a leopard of unknown or mixed origins. My reasons are all of the above from my previous long winded post.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
You seem to have drawn a conclusion that animals from the same country are okay to mix. I would not agree. I would not keep a Florida box turtle with a CA desert tortoise any more than I would keep a leopard with a sulcata, or a Burmese Star with a Burmese Mountain Tortoise. For that matter I wouldn't keep a South African leopard with a leopard from Kenya, or a leopard of unknown or mixed origins. My reasons are all of the above from my previous long winded post.
I haven't made a conclusion that any should go together. and I am aware that one country can contain many different types of environments. it was just the easiest way I could try to ask a question. I agree with your views on crossbreeding. i'm not quite sure what I think about things like what they call "hypo" or breeding for albinoism I guess that is a different thread.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
i'm not quite sure what I think about things like what they call "hypo" or breeding for albinoism I guess that is a different thread.

A different thread indeed. I don't have a problem with selectively breeding the same species and trying to isolate or encourage certain color or pattern traits. Its not really my cup of tea, but I see no harm in it.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
A different thread indeed. I don't have a problem with selectively breeding the same species and trying to isolate or encourage certain color or pattern traits. Its not really my cup of tea, but I see no harm in it.
Yeah I guess I'm thinking specifically of albinoism, because of the issues that come with it.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
If you want to be a total purist, then you really shouldn't even step from one tortoise yard into another wearing the same shoes. I don't go that far. I just have the species separated by a wooden fence, and there is no actual contact between any of the different species. Each of my tortoise yards has its own pooper scooper.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Well woke up this morning and read this entire thread and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Quite a few different opinions out there, and I take on board everything that everyone says, then make my mind up what to do with everything in life.
Tom your posts was as usual, an excellent approach to the debate, and well explained. I here what you are saying. I've been stalking you for a bit now on this forum.:)

Right in a bit deeper.

I want to know if redfoots and yellowfoots will cross breed creating hybrids. I don't want any hybrids at all, not my game and never will be. Not saying I don't agree with people doing it but its not for me. Also will cherryheads cross with northern redfoots if so is his frowned on. This is the grey area for my thoughts. Are there regions in the wild where any combination of cherryheads, northern or yellowfoots cohabit-ate together. Is there any evidence of reds and yellow hybrids.

I have redfoots and hinges.I have the opportunity over the next 12 months or so to take on a couple of yellows and some reds including 1 wc female cherry that is quite a specimen and looks amazing. To do this I need to get serious and create an indoor area that imitates the natural habitat. I have the land, time and some finance available to do so.
All breeds I am talking about like it humid and the temp ranges can be accommodated in 1 large enclosed area to suit them all. Hinges require more water area to swim, eat more protein and require the lower end of the redfoots temps.
Below is a basic idea of what i am thinking. Too early to go into major detail of what is mulling around in my head. Sizes are not important at this point, just the principle. The cloud line represents a wall or fence.
Thoughts please.

Thank you to everyone.

Craig

IMAGE.PNG

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Well woke up this morning and read this entire thread and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Quite a few different opinions out there, and I take on board everything that everyone says, then make my mind up what to do with everything in life.
Tom your posts was as usual, an excellent approach to the debate, and well explained. I here what you are saying. I've been stalking you for a bit now on this forum.:)

Right in a bit deeper.

I want to know if redfoots and yellowfoots will cross breed creating hybrids. I don't want any hybrids at all, not my game and never will be. Not saying I don't agree with people doing it but its not for me. Also will cherryheads cross with northern redfoots if so is his frowned on. This is the grey area for my thoughts. Are there regions in the wild where any combination of cherryheads, northern or yellowfoots cohabit-ate together. Is there any evidence of reds and yellow hybrids.

I have redfoots and hinges.I have the opportunity over the next 12 months or so to take on a couple of yellows and some reds including 1 wc female cherry that is quite a specimen and looks amazing. To do this I need to get serious and create an indoor area that imitates the natural habitat. I have the land, time and some finance available to do so.
All breeds I am talking about like it humid and the temp ranges can be accommodated in 1 large enclosed area to suit them all. Hinges require more water area to swim, eat more protein and require the lower end of the redfoots temps.
Below is a basic idea of what i am thinking. Too early to go into major detail of what is mulling around in my head. Sizes are not important at this point, just the principle. The cloud line represents a wall or fence.
Thoughts please.

Thank you to everyone.

Craig

View attachment 116154
Yes, carbonaria and denticulata have almost certainly cross-bred in the wild, but there are no genetic tests that have been done to confirm this, just sightings.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Tom I agree with nearly all of your v.expansive input, but there are a few things that I want to pick up on.
People have many reasons why they say to not mix species. Different people have varying levels of interest or worry about these different issues. I would broadly categorize the risks as behavioral problems, disease risks and hybridization.

Here is my opinion on each:
1. Behavioral reasons: Some species are simply more boisterous and aggressive than others. Frankly russians tend to be more scrappy than Greeks. Sure you can have a passive russian or an aggressive greek, but I'm talking about generalities. Likewise sulcatas tend to be more bold than stars or aldabras. Also, little is known or studied about how tortoises communicate with each other. It seems reasonable to assume that the postural stances and the body language of one species might be different than the signals from another species elsewhere in the world. So many people assume that if one tortoise is not physically aggressively biting or ramming another tortoise that everything is fine. There are subtle intimidating cues that are given and received that most people are going to miss. Chameleon keepers know all about these visual stressors and what can happen, but tortoises keepers seem mostly unaware that any such thing exists. (Apologies, to those of you who do recognize these things. Speaking in general terms again...) Frequently we get threads and video about a tortoise helping to flip another tortoise back onto its feet, and many tortoise keepers ooh and ahh at how nice that was that he "helped" his "friend". They have no idea they are witnessing a tortoise-speed brawl.

I have been a student of animal behavior for literally decades. Animal behavior is my career and profession and has been since 1986. For these behavioral reasons alone, I recommend against mixing species.
Completely agree with you on this
2. Hybridization: Some folks find this interesting and novel. I find it sickening and an abomination. This should never happen. I don't encourage it, but IT DOES HAPPEN IN THE WILD. Hermanni and graeca-and their subspecies-, the kinixys species, particularly erosa and homeana, and carbonaria and denticulata are the obvious ones.
The state of the leopard tortoise and redfoot tortoise in this country is a mess because of indiscriminant breeding. Really? I don't have any stats on the US hybrids of this species, but how many reds x leopards are there in the US in reality vs pure species, as currently classified, even if not locality specific.
The concept of intentionally letting two different species of imported reptile breed and produce offspring goes against ethics and common sense in my opinion. Agreed
Many of these animals, like leopard tortoises, are banned from importation. No new ones are coming in. Ever. What we have now is all we've got. Diluting and ruining this is not a good plan. We should be breeding locale to locale and discouraging mixing different types even within a species. HermanniChris's work with his Western Hermanni serves as an example of how things ought to be done. That guy is my hero as far as tortoises are concerned.To some extent, I agree with you. I too admire Chris with his locality specific work, but some species such as Russians do not even have their subspecies taken account of usually, yet alone locality. You have a number of Russian youngsters right? What is the subspecies of them? Also, in some cases it is very hard to breed locality specific ones, either due to identification being hard, or general breeding being hard. For instance, in the case of my erosa, I'm just trying to get them breeding atm, and then perhaps afterwards I'll look at separating them into SW Ghana and Benin/Togo-still a big area- groups.

Diluting the precious resources we have been given and creating mixed species hybrids is not a wise idea in the grand scheme of what is good for tortoises and our hobby in my view of things. For this reason alone, I say that species should not be mixed. In principle, I agree with you again.

3. Disease potential: Let me start with a question from post number one in this thread: "If you had all your torts vetted and ok'd free from parasites and diseases, is then the only reasons for keeping them separate stress related." This is a trick question. Can't correctly answer yes OR no. There is no such thing as having your torts vetted and ok'd free from parasites and diseases. No vet on earth can look at a tortoise, do an exam and a fecal smear, and declare a tortoise free from parasites and disease. There is only one way to declare them free from all diseases and parasites. Necropsy by an experienced, qualified Doctor of Veterinary medicine to the tune of about $1000 dollars and the death of the test subject. I seriously doubt that any tortoise alive is free from any sort of parasite or pathogen. With a healthy immune system the "bad" organisms are kept in check. Introduce some stress, especially chronic stress, hamper that immune system, and a previously "healthy" tortoise will show you any number of diseases. You could spend $5000 on diagnostics for every tortoise in your herd and still miss some things. Cryptosporidia for example. It doesn't show up in the fecal. They have a test called gastric lavage they can administer. If this one comes up negative, it does not mean the tortoise is cryptosporidia free. It just means none turned up in that particular sample. There is no cure and no treatment for crypto in tortoises and it doesn't usually kill them. They just carry it around and shed it everywhere they go. There are many diseases like this. Tortoise herpes, http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/intranuclear-coccidiosis-tortoise-bubonic-plague.69913/, etc. There are lots and lots of these things out there floating around.

So your vet can't look at your tortoise and psychicly know if it has a contagious disease or not. Next we have to understand that each species has evolved over millions of years to deal with the pathogens and parasites from its own little corner of the world. They have internal mechanisms and external strategies (like eating toxic plants at certain times of the year to reduce certain parasite loads), to deal with the "bugs" that occur where they come from. They do not necessarily have the mechanism to deal with parasites and pathogens from other parts of the world that are common to other species of tortoise. The practice of mixing species has led to the death of entire collections for this reason. Does it lead to the death of every tortoise that is allowed to mix with another species? No. Not at all. Its a gamble. Its a gamble with the life of your tortoises.

As far as quarantine and risk management goes, well, we could argue that for days. I'm not advocating keeping tortoises in hermetically sealed sterilized enclosures. Its all about what risk is acceptable to each of us. Might a bird fly over head and drop worm eggs into one of my outdoor enclosures? Yep. It could happen. Could a wild lizard crawl on their food in search of insect prey to eat and leave droppings? Yes it could. However in 35 years of keeping Chelonia, I've never seen or heard of this happening. I have heard of mass die offs from diseases introduced by other tortoises though. I keep multiple species of tortoise. I walk in their large outdoor pens and I don't change shoes between enclosures. This is a risk I take every day. There are other risks too. I try to minimize those risks and I don't take risks that I find substantial, like letting two different species occupy the same space. Agree with all of the above

So where is that line? Its different for everyone and different for different species. I have all CB tortoises. No wild caught of any species. I really think they are going to quit importing russians in the near future and I think we are going to wish we were doing more breeding due to their slow reproductive rate.
See what I mean now? While we're producing them regularly in Europe-but not subspecies specific-, you guys are struggling to even get them to breed, and therefore you're not even keeping subspecies in separate breeding groups, yet alone localities. Would you suggest to wait and try to locality group them, or breed quickly?
There are lots of WC russians available right now, but I won't take the risk of bringing them onto my ranch with my other species. I'd like to find an off site area to set them up and get them going, but I haven't figured out a way to make it work yet. So bringing in WC tortoises is a risk I won't take, even though I would really like to take advantage of the current situation. Other people go to Petco or Petsmart and take that risk frequently. Their line is somewhere different than mine.
I
I don't see how anyone can argue that advising people to keep their tortoise species separate and never let them come into contact with each others bodily fluids or waste products is bad advice.
I don't disagree, but there are some trade-offs as a result.
Is it possible to get two captive bred tortoises of different species and put them together and have them both live? Sure. It happens all the time. But it is also possible that one or both of them will contract something from the other and die. I get PMs from members in Asian countries (where the practice of mixing species is common and rampant) and they are always asking me why one or the other is sick or why one died. I have no way to verify this, but it seems pretty obvious in some cases that they died from some weird tortoises diseases that was most likely contracted from one of their cage mates.

Keeping different species in the same room is a greater risk than having species dedicated separate rooms, but I've done that. A low wall outside is better than no wall, but still a risk. Sharing water is something I would consider high risk and I wouldn't do it. I would not keep reds with yellows, although some people do. Personally, I would not mix leopards (the same species) that are from different localities. If I ever have the privilege of getting some Western Hermanni from a known location, they will never see any other hermanni from any other locality, or any other species for that matter. You will have to decide what level of risk is acceptable for you.
Agreed, but hermanni and leopards are a different situation from the rarer species, where we're struggling to get them to even breed.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Yes, carbonaria and denticulata have almost certainly cross-bred in the wild, but there are no genetic tests that have been done to confirm this, just sightings.
Ah hello mate.

So if they have bred in the wild then they live together and its a natural thing for them to interbreed.
Just a thought and its probably a stupid one but how do we know that some torts are not hybrids and in the modern day we accept them as its own species. For example how do we know that the northern carbonaria is not an hybrid of the denticulata and the cherryhead carbonaria.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Ah hello mate.

So if they have bred in the wild then they live together and its a natural thing for them to interbreed.
Just a thought and its probably a stupid one but how do we know that some torts are not hybrids and in the modern day we accept them as its own species. For example how do we know that the northern carbonaria is not an hybrid of the denticulata and the cherryhead carbonaria.
Genetic domination is the main reason, someone like @tortadise or @Neal would be better to answer this really. The whole species classification is messed up, that is one of the problems here and why people like hermannichris as above, are breeding locality specifically. Debatedly, I would say that it would be better for conservation to breed, for instance, a Ghana erosa and homeana from one region of the country, than a erosa from Ghana, and one from Benin in my case, at least from a locality point of view. The genetic differences between species such as these are not clearly understood, we base our classifications on a few telltale signs, or at least we believe that we do. It's not really natural, Tom is right in that behavior is different between the species that we have more knowledge of, and for instance, carbonaria and denticulata are definitely distinct species, but within that, there should probably be 5-7 subspecies of carbonaria, and 2-3 of denticulata, and maybe even a new species within carbonaria. Therefore, while cross-breeding does happen, it is not as common as breeding with the own species. Yellows and reds do come from different ranges, but they overlap, there are very few tortoises-if any- that have a range the same as another species, or totally within the range of another species.
Oh, and just to confuse you even more, kinixys and chelonoidis come from a common ancestor before the plates split between Africa and S.America. In fact, genetically, carbonaria are more similar to erosa than they are to denticulata I think I'm right in saying.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Oh, and how are the homeana getting on?
That has confirmed some more questions I had mulling around in my mind, "common ancestor" this would explain there very similar needs. Excellent, thank you.
The Homeana are going well. Both males were very shy at first but today i've noticed a definite change in there activity, although they have never really stopped mating. lol Are the kinixys a more nocturnal species than other tort species. These seem to be very active at night. The previous owner used to feed them late on around tea time!

Thanks

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Well this topic can very very detailed. Busy little bee I have been lately with regard to Kinixys homeana/erosa. Currently working on a reinforcement population for both in west Africa. After lots of genetic data and sampling of specimens kept. It was overruled by both the organization I started and the west African organization that a known locale specific population be worked with as the founder group instead of imported group we currently posses for the long term reintroduction. So this can be easily mirrored into any species being worked with.

@FLINTUS I must say it's very uncommon to see dendiculata and carbonaria to possess similar retreats in the wild and or mating. Yes it has been observed but most of those sitings were rare. In vargus and ramirezs noted literature of cladding the phylogeographic differences of carbonaria they did sample quite a few dendiculata. Both c.d and c.c were very absent in overlapping ranges of ecosystems. However they were noted to be found within tolerable distances of possible "overlapping" migrations. Not much has been done I terms of radio tracking two species against the range or territory both inhabit. But countries like north western Brazil into north east Peru, south west Columbia do all represent a population of both species.mbut when looked at in a microscopic level on the ground these areas withhold a vast Eco diversity. Carbonaria more grassland and open terrain, versus dendiculata more favoring of the extreme density of canopy forests and much higher humid environments. So perhaps each species "could" venture into one another's territory and possibly mate. But I would think it's improbable as each species is geared towards a different survival approach. Food differs, light exposures, moisture, edible fauna or carrion etc... Now human impact may play a large roll on forced integrades within these two species.

Upon keeping these two species together. Yes it is possible. In captivity it's much easier than in the wild. Dendiculata can be "molded" to be suitable minimum standards that's are less forgiving than the wild. Same for carbonaria. However, the way we keep our species is as wild as possible. Dendiculata favor much more wet and dark habitat and a lot more rooted vegetables and broad leaf flora with a very high protein of carrion, meats, eggs, turtle pellets. Where *** the carbonaria get proteins, meats, eggs, on a far more limited basis and are never fed large rooted flora like taro, carrots, ginger root, hicima, sweet potatoe etc.. That are most favored by dendiculata. Anther note is that dendiculata are far more solitary than carbonaria. Yes they can survive together. But are much less forgiving than carbonaria. Rarely if ever have we seen any male and or female aggression in the 35 plus specimens of carbonaria kept here(from hatchling, to yearling to adults). Denediculata can represent an extreme aggressive nature. Especially when kept within more natural thresholds of high humidity and deep burrows heavily planted enclosures. Males will bite limbs, neck, tails, and even eat ova from females. Dendiculata seems to naturally display a lack of nest building skills like carbonaria. They utilize the extremely thick forest floor debris to merely cover the eggs deposited in the wild. This time of egg laying also begins at the dry season so many leaves fall off forest trees and scrubs adding the "shedding" of thick Amazonia forest floor, another layer of protection for the ova deposited, this is also done in respect that a wet season could ruin the eggs if deposited in the ground like a traditional nest. From wet to dry seasons in the thick amazon forests water levels can rise and drop as high of elevation up to 50'.

Anyways blah blah blah from me. I'd keep em separate just because up there different species. :)

Turtlepete

South Florida
Genetic domination is the main reason, someone like @tortadise or @Neal would be better to answer this really. The whole species classification is messed up, that is one of the problems here and why people like hermannichris as above, are breeding locality specifically. Debatedly, I would say that it would be better for conservation to breed, for instance, a Ghana erosa and homeana from one region of the country, than a erosa from Ghana, and one from Benin in my case, at least from a locality point of view. The genetic differences between species such as these are not clearly understood, we base our classifications on a few telltale signs, or at least we believe that we do. It's not really natural, Tom is right in that behavior is different between the species that we have more knowledge of, and for instance, carbonaria and denticulata are definitely distinct species, but within that, there should probably be 5-7 subspecies of carbonaria, and 2-3 of denticulata, and maybe even a new species within carbonaria. Therefore, while cross-breeding does happen, it is not as common as breeding with the own species. Yellows and reds do come from different ranges, but they overlap, there are very few tortoises-if any- that have a range the same as another species, or totally within the range of another species.
Oh, and just to confuse you even more, kinixys and chelonoidis come from a common ancestor before the plates split between Africa and S.America. In fact, genetically, carbonaria are more similar to erosa than they are to denticulata I think I'm right in saying.

Those are some interesting claims. Especially 5-7 ssp. of carbonaria….Every study I've seen concluded that there there is not enough variation to be classified as different sub-species. And carbonaria bearing more genetic resemblance to erosa then denticulata seems to me like a long-shot, at best. Do you have any information to back this up?

Mavrik

Fascinating discussion. Please, carry on -- as a keeper of multiple species, I find everyone's opinions and reasoning for their logic stimulating.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Well this topic can very very detailed. Busy little bee I have been lately with regard to Kinixys homeana/erosa. Currently working on a reinforcement population for both in west Africa. After lots of genetic data and sampling of specimens kept. It was overruled by both the organization I started and the west African organization that a known locale specific population be worked with as the founder group instead of imported group we currently posses for the long term reintroduction. So this can be easily mirrored into any species being worked with.

@FLINTUS I must say it's very uncommon to see dendiculata and carbonaria to possess similar retreats in the wild and or mating. Yes it has been observed but most of those sitings were rare. In vargus and ramirezs noted literature of cladding the phylogeographic differences of carbonaria they did sample quite a few dendiculata. Both c.d and c.c were very absent in overlapping ranges of ecosystems. However they were noted to be found within tolerable distances of possible "overlapping" migrations. Not much has been done I terms of radio tracking two species against the range or territory both inhabit. But countries like north western Brazil into north east Peru, south west Columbia do all represent a population of both species.mbut when looked at in a microscopic level on the ground these areas withhold a vast Eco diversity. Carbonaria more grassland and open terrain, versus dendiculata more favoring of the extreme density of canopy forests and much higher humid environments. So perhaps each species "could" venture into one another's territory and possibly mate. But I would think it's improbable as each species is geared towards a different survival approach. Food differs, light exposures, moisture, edible fauna or carrion etc... Now human impact may play a large roll on forced integrades within these two species.

Upon keeping these two species together. Yes it is possible. In captivity it's much easier than in the wild. Dendiculata can be "molded" to be suitable minimum standards that's are less forgiving than the wild. Same for carbonaria. However, the way we keep our species is as wild as possible. Dendiculata favor much more wet and dark habitat and a lot more rooted vegetables and broad leaf flora with a very high protein of carrion, meats, eggs, turtle pellets. Where *** the carbonaria get proteins, meats, eggs, on a far more limited basis and are never fed large rooted flora like taro, carrots, ginger root, hicima, sweet potatoe etc.. That are most favored by dendiculata. Anther note is that dendiculata are far more solitary than carbonaria. Yes they can survive together. But are much less forgiving than carbonaria. Rarely if ever have we seen any male and or female aggression in the 35 plus specimens of carbonaria kept here(from hatchling, to yearling to adults). Denediculata can represent an extreme aggressive nature. Especially when kept within more natural thresholds of high humidity and deep burrows heavily planted enclosures. Males will bite limbs, neck, tails, and even eat ova from females. Dendiculata seems to naturally display a lack of nest building skills like carbonaria. They utilize the extremely thick forest floor debris to merely cover the eggs deposited in the wild. This time of egg laying also begins at the dry season so many leaves fall off forest trees and scrubs adding the "shedding" of thick Amazonia forest floor, another layer of protection for the ova deposited, this is also done in respect that a wet season could ruin the eggs if deposited in the ground like a traditional nest. From wet to dry seasons in the thick amazon forests water levels can rise and drop as high of elevation up to 50'.

Anyways blah blah blah from me. I'd keep em separate just because up there different species. :)
I agree with you, and that was my understanding that the ranges only slightly overlap, but in those ranges, a number of 'sightings' have been reported, and there are too many for them to be anomalies, it is happening in the overlappings of the ranges IMO.
Still wouldn't keep them together personally, but in theory, I think it would work for a female red foot and a female yellow foot-both CB- in a very large outside enclosure, where you could have different micro-climates.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Those are some interesting claims. Especially 5-7 ssp. of carbonaria….Every study I've seen concluded that there there is not enough variation to be classified as different sub-species. And carbonaria bearing more genetic resemblance to erosa then denticulata seems to me like a long-shot, at best. Do you have any information to back this up?
There have been a few discussions on here regarding the ssp. of carbonaria, but as we all know most of the classification system isn't accurate atm-graeca is an even better example.
They are definitely common ancestors, and it appears that the denticulata evolved from the red foot like tortoise, but in genetic history, apparently their closest relative is erosa and homeana. Haven't looked much into it, someone on here claimed that though, can't remember who. One of the mods I think.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Thank you all for your input

I am now wiser than before this thread started, a lot has been confirmed to me.

I just want to say when an amateur like me is asking for info off so many experts, and all the experts have slightly different views, I'm forced to in effect seem to be ignoring certain advice, this is not the case, I merely way up the pros and cons and make a decision. No insult is ever meant to anyone.

Thanks

craig

shelley11

Torts of different species should never be kept together as they are very territorial and can send each other very stressful which could result with a very unhappy tortoise. It's fine to keep them in the same room as long as they can't see or smell each other. Thanks for reading hope this helpsImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1422567104.845367.jpg