Kendalls mix

rearlpettway

"Kendall's Mix" is a dry mix that consist of the following.
This pot makes enough to last about 1 year.
St. Augustine Grass
Bermuda Grass and hay
Annual Blue Grass
Crab Grass
Paspalum Grass (Dallis Grass)
Wheat Grass
Gulf Annual Ryegrass
Jet Perennial Ryegrass
Timothy Hay
Orchard Hay
Dandelions
Narrow Leaf Plantains
Broad Leaf Plantain
Sow Thistle Leaves and Flowers
Hawks Beard Leaves and Flowers
Straggler Daisy Leaves and Flowers
Chick Weed Leaves and Flowers
Rose Flowers
Mulberry Leaves
Hibiscus Leaves and Flowers
Grape leaves
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1434869048.027152.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1434869065.860457.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1434869082.551251.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
That's what I wanna know too. The ingredients sound great but what are all the steps to go from that pot of weeds and grass to the baggie of dried salad topper?

One year? Boy have you got a shock coming when Kendall gets bigger. It takes three 5 gallon buckets stuffed full to the rims to feed my herd now...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not understanding. Are you saying that you bought this mixture already dried? If so, where and how much did it cost.

rearlpettway

That's what I wanna know too. The ingredients sound great but what are all the steps to go from that pot of weeds and grass to the baggie of dried salad topper?

One year? Boy have you got a shock coming when Kendall gets bigger. It takes three 5 gallon buckets stuffed full to the rims to feed my herd now...
All the grasses and weeds came from our backyard expect the plantain ssp. which came from a ditch at the entrance to our neighbor hood.
Grape leaves came from a field.

We harvest the plants, chop them up, let them dry in the pot, mix several times a day until they are dry.

rearlpettway

Looks great, but lasts one year for doing what exactly?
I still don't understand.
Sorry.
That pot holds enough "Kendall's Mix" for about 1 year of feeding.
We mix a small amount of the "Kendall's Mix" with fresh grasses and weeds for daily feeding.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
All the grasses and weeds came from our backyard expect the plantain ssp. which came from a ditch at the entrance to our neighbor hood.
Grape leaves came from a field.

We harvest the plants, chop them up, let them dry in the pot, mix several times a day until they are dry.

Do you leave the pot in the sun? Or inside the house? Outside in the shade? How long does it take for the fixin's to dry out?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thanks for this good tip. It will be helpful when weeds and grasses are scarce.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I want to give this a try. I have so many weeds at some times of the year that I cant feed them out fast enough, and at other times I have none.

rearlpettway

I want to give this a try. I have so many weeds at some times of the year that I cant feed them out fast enough, and at other times I have none.
We dry all of them indoors to protect them from UV rays which have been shown to degrade some vitamins.