Las Vegas | Need a home for my tortoise!!!

Stela

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Hi everyone, I need to rehome my 7 year old desert tortoise. Her name is Queso. She’s growing a little too big for my tiny apartment..She is a desert tortoise with lots of curiosity! Need a loving home for her!IMG_4261.jpegIMG_4304.jpegIMG_3082.jpegIMG_3177.jpeg

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Just some info as FYI because they are a protected species you cannot place them across state lines or sell them (at least that is my understanding, others here may correct me).

the above has a section if you cannot keep your pet and they recommend you here:

i do not know anything about the group, so am not commenting on them as good or bad, but offering it as a resource to contact especially given the legal status of the tortoise

Stela

Las Vegas, NV
Just some info as FYI because they are a protected species you cannot place them across state lines or sell them (at least that is my understanding, others here may correct me).

the above has a section if you cannot keep your pet and they recommend you here:

i do not know anything about the group, so am not commenting on them as good or bad, but offering it as a resource to contact especially given the legal status of the tortoise
Yes I am aware. I also made a post wanting to rehome on their website and spoke with them!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That first picture is a nice example of counting the rings. You can't tell the age of a tortoise by counting the rings like you can on a tree, but the growth on this tortoise has been so consistent that you CAN in this case. The OP says the tortoise is seven years old. Count the rings starting with the first ring after the square in the middle of the scute, and you come up with 6 rings. Including the square the baby was hatched with, that would be seven years, or seven growth spurts. What a pretty tortoise. You've done a great job raising him up. It's a shame you can't keep him. I hope he finds a well deserved GOOD home!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
If I had a DT that I had raised up to look like this, I would do everything in my power to make it ok for her to stay with me! 😭

Stela

Las Vegas, NV
That first picture is a nice example of counting the rings. You can't tell the age of a tortoise by counting the rings like you can on a tree, but the growth on this tortoise has been so consistent that you CAN in this case. The OP says the tortoise is seven years old. Count the rings starting with the first ring after the square in the middle of the scute, and you come up with 6 rings. Including the square the baby was hatched with, that would be seven years, or seven growth spurts. What a pretty tortoise. You've done a great job raising him up. It's a shame you can't keep him. I hope he finds a well deserved GOOD home!
Thank you! Im sure Queso will live a happy life in her new home!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Believe me I have tried but sometimes we just have to do whats best 🥲
I agree and unless you could give a bigger enclosure rehoming is the right thing. As you pretty much said, it's too small for him.
Also agree he's beautiful. It's too bad you have to rehome him, but it's the right thing.
Just be sure it's someone that knows what they are doing and not only has experience but the room for him to live our his life outside.

YoungSheldon

Blythe, CA
Hi everyone, I need to rehome my 7 year old desert tortoise. Her name is Queso. She’s growing a little too big for my tiny apartment..She is a desert tortoise with lots of curiosity! Need a loving home for her!View attachment 372126View attachment 372127View attachment 372128View attachment 372129
Wow!
That is a beautiful DT! I can’t help because I’m in California but I have to comment on the best looking desert tortoise I’ve ever seen. Did she go into brumation each year? And what is her diet?
My DT is an older hatchling, about 7 1/2 months. He wants beauty tips from your girl.

Stela

Las Vegas, NV
Wow!
That is a beautiful DT! I can’t help because I’m in California but I have to comment on the best looking desert tortoise I’ve ever seen. Did she go into brumation each year? And what is her diet?
My DT is an older hatchling, about 7 1/2 months. He wants beauty tips from your girl.
Thanks! Yes, she does every year. I feed her greens along with either desert flowers as a food topper or tortoise diet. She is rarely supposed to eat specific foods like bananas or blueberries so about twice a month, I give her a little sweet snack!