Leaving Oli Alone - Need Advise.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Am planning to leave Amman for about three/four days. You may/may not know, I live alone. Therefore there is absolutely nobody I can rely on to take care of my beloved OLI whilst I am away.

I need your help and advise here, which would be very much appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Rue

Canada
I suppose, if you soak him well before going and make sure there are a couple of water dishes in his enclosure, feed him well and leave enough food out for at least one day, he will be fine (barring anything unusual).

They can go without food and water for a long time, so worst case scenario - he's out of food and water for one day - he will still be fine.

Soak him well when you get back.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I suppose, if you soak him well before going and make sure there are a couple of water dishes in his enclosure, feed him well and leave enough food out for at least one day, he will be fine (barring anything unusual).

They can go without food and water for a long time, so worst case scenario - he's out of food and water for one day - he will still be fine.

Soak him well when you get back.
Thanks v much your help as well as your prompt reply. I soak OLI each and every day, and during very hot Summer days he gets soaked 2-3 times a day. What is really worrying me is that OLI is a "spoiled brat." He has to be hand fed, otherwise he just will NOT eat! I was told by many members that when he gets hungry he will eat. This is true in theory but NOT in practice, believe it or not. For example, when I leave home all day long I always return to find the food untouched!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If he gets hungry enough he will eat. He doesn't when your away for the day, cuz he knows you will crumble and feed him. Btw, it's okay you crumble.
I would follow the suggestions given and if you don't already, put lights and heat on timers/thermostat. I would also remove anything that could possible be a flipping hazard. If you have a neighbor or co-worker that could come and check on him on say the second or third day, just to see that all is fine, that would be a plus.

Rue

Canada
Thanks v much your help as well as your prompt reply. I soak OLI each and every day, and during very hot Summer days he gets soaked 2-3 times a day. What is really worrying me is that OLI is a "spoiled brat." He has to be hand fed, otherwise he just will NOT eat! I was told by many members that when he gets hungry he will eat. This is true in theory but NOT in practice, believe it or not. For example, when I leave home all day long I always return to find the food untouched!

That's okay too. He won't starve if he doesn't eat for 3 days...or even a week.

Despite what people think, it's really hard to actually starve.

As long as it's not too hot, he can likely go without water for at least 3 days too.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
He never ate the Mazuri?
That is odd.
I agree to leave water and food. He'll be fine for a couple of days.
Remember when Bertha went without eating for weeks, months?
Hydration is very important and I know that he'll be warm enough already.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
He never ate the Mazuri?
That is odd.
I agree to leave water and food. He'll be fine for a couple of days.
Remember when Bertha went without eating for weeks, months?
Hydration is very important and I know that he'll be warm enough already.
He eats the mazuri but he prefers......lettuce. I am no tortoise expert but I believe it's the fact that mazuri (and tort food in general) are not available in the Middle East. Therefore torts tend to find such food strange, if so I may put it. They live in the wild and GOD only knows what on earth they eat.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
He eats the mazuri but he prefers......lettuce. I am no tortoise expert but I believe it's the fact that mazuri (and tort food in general) are not available in the Middle East. Therefore torts tend to find such food strange, if so I may put it. They live in the wild and GOD only knows what on earth they eat.
That's funny, because it also contains just about NOTHING that my Redfoot would encounter in the wild.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
That's okay too. He won't starve if he doesn't eat for 3 days...or even a week.

Despite what people think, it's really hard to actually starve.

As long as it's not too hot, he can likely go without water for at least 3 days too.
Thanks so much your encouraging words! (Phew! A sigh of relief). No, at the moment it is not as hot as it "should be" for May, and temp dropped to only 20 degrees C with NO sun and only wind and clouds.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
My brother comes over every day to feed Kellys birds and he used to come over a couple of times a day to walk and feed our dog, but the tortoises he looks at every 3 to 4 days and generally changes the waters and tosses in a Hibiscus branch or 2.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
If he gets hungry enough he will eat. He doesn't when your away for the day, cuz he knows you will crumble and feed him. Btw, it's okay you crumble.
I would follow the suggestions given and if you don't already, put lights and heat on timers/thermostat. I would also remove anything that could possible be a flipping hazard. If you have a neighbor or co-worker that could come and check on him on say the second or third day, just to see that all is fine, that would be a plus.
I have organized everything for OLI. But, NO neighbour is available to check on OLI. I cannot RISK giving my house keys to anyone and here I mean ANYONE. Thanks your help.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Do you have one of those timers that turn the light on and off at specific times during the day?! This will also be of use .

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Do you have one of those timers that turn the light on and off at specific times during the day?! This will also be of use .
Frankly speaking NO I don't. A lot of things are not available here: this is the Third World with little or no care for animals/pets I regret to mention. Imagine that tort food is not available here, and no VETS for torts! Ed (Zeropilot) was kind and generous enough to send me so much mazuri, cuttlebone, calcium powder, and a lot more. Thanks Ed!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Frankly speaking NO I don't. A lot of things are not available here: this is the Third World with little or no care for animals/pets I regret to mention. Imagine that tort food is not available here, and no VETS for torts! Ed (Zeropilot) was kind and generous enough to send me so much mazuri, cuttlebone, calcium powder, and a lot more. Thanks Ed!
No thanks needed. In fact, it sounds like another box is needed.:)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I wouldn't think that an actual light timer would be hard to find. The reptile lights that go into it, Yes!
I would not be that sure. I'd have to check, though I do not think I have much time. It may have to wait till I return.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
One other question ladies and gentlemen: what if I do NOT leave the light on?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I don't think I would. It's plenty warm enough for him, isn't it?
Well let me put it this way: temp reached about 30 degrees C about two weeks ago, but it dropped to only 20 today! It it not col, but not it isn't as warm as it usually is in May.