Leopard Growing Slowly

Ladyvet

Location (City and/or State)
Bradenton, Florida
We have 4 leopard tortoises. Three are growing very well and the fourth isn’t. They allcame from the same breeder and don’t have worms. The fourth is much smaller but eats well and is active. Herpvet has no explanation

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
We have 4 leopard tortoises. Three are growing very well and the fourth isn’t. They allcame from the same breeder and don’t have worms. The fourth is much smaller but eats well and is active. Herpvet has no explanation
Are they housed together?
A yes would explain it.
Tortoises of the same age will grow at different rates based on many things. Bullying being one of them. But there's smaller and then there is stunted.
That tortoise is stunted. Like my tiny Redfoot.
This will never happen with anything close to correct keeping. And isn't at all normal.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's really amazing the effect other tortoises have on a subservient tortoise. For instance two males of the same age. One dominant, the other not. When they reach sexual maturity the dominant will develop all the male characteristics while the less dominant will continue looking more female. Bullying isn't always noticeable to the human. I'd be willing to bet your smaller tortoise's growth would take off if he were set up in his own enclosure.

Ladyvet

Bradenton, Florida
Are they housed together?
A yes would explain it.
Tortoises of the same age will grow at different rates based on many things. Bullying being one of them. But there's smaller and then there is stunted.
That tortoise is stunted. Like my tiny Redfoot.
This will never happen with anything close to correct keeping. And isn't at all normal.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yes they three of the four are housed together. And there isn’t any bullying so perhaps this is normal for that one. As I said allare active and eating well
While it is possible that while they are still very young that they show no bullying. It's just as likely that there is some mild bullying that looks like something else because you might not know what it looks like.
Tortoises following each other around. Tortoises sleeping next to each other and a tortoise that tries to mount another, sexually are all aggression. So is any tortoise that lays across a food dish.
You have a 50/50 chance of males and females. And if you wind up with one male and three females, you may be fine. Four females might also work. If there is a large enough enclosure.
But two or more males with too little room and too few females are going to need to be addressed. Adult males are generally more aggressive than females. But sometimes you'll find a bossy female. In fact I have one.
I like a 1 male to 3 female ratio for small herds. This spreads aggressively behavior and can stop any one tort from being singled out.
Watch for these symptoms.
I'm not saying that you have an issue.
I just wanted you to know that this was normal and why.
Any group of tortoises will create a dynamic that may affect the growth or health of any one animal. As @Yvonne G has said.
That's probably because it is an unnatural and stressful living situation in general.
They are solitary creatures.

Last edited:

Ladyvet

Bradenton, Florida
While it is possible that while they are still very young that they show no bullying. It's just as likely that there is some mild bullying that looks like something else because you might not know what it looks like.
Tortoises following each other around. Tortoises sleeping next to each other and a tortoise that tries to mount another, sexually are all aggression. So is any tortoise that lays across a food dish.
You have a 50/50 chance of males and females. And if you wind up with one male and three females, you may be fine. Four females might also work. If there is a large enough enclosure.
But two or more males with too little room and too few females are going to need to be addressed.
I like a 1 male to 3 female ratio for small herds. This spreads aggressively behavior and can stop any one tort from being singled out.
Watch for these symptoms.
I'm not saying that you have an issue.
I just wanted you to know that this was normal and why.
Any group of tortoises will create a dynamic that may affect the growth or health of any one animal. As @Yvonne G has said.
That's probably because it is an unnatural and stressful living situation in general.
They are solitary creatures.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thank you! I appreciate the input. I will have my torts sexed by the herpvet to better assess the situation
Best of luck to you.
I see that you are also in Florida. But not in the steamy area like me.
Are you considering an outside enclosure next spring?
Go LARGE with the enclosure if so.

Ladyvet

Bradenton, Florida
Best of luck to you.
I see that you are also in Florida. But not in the steamy area like me.
Are you considering an outside enclosure next spring?
Go LARGE with the enclosure if so.
No because I am afraid of dogs getting into my yard and killing them. I have seen one too many stories of this happening

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How old are they? What size are they (weight in grams...)? Where did you get them?

Heckhaven

Lake Charles, Louisiana
Tort's are just like any other living thing, including Humans. Even Siblings can grow at different rates - some have growing spurts, others grow a little each year. As long as the "Runt" appears healthy - eating, active, etc, I wouldn't worry about it. As others have written - watch out for bullying. It just might turn out to have a Growth Spurt and surpass the others in size.