leopard hatchling differences

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrypin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jersey C.I.
hi these two hatched out on the same day from the same clutch they are both pardalis babcocki .as you can see from the last two pictures as they grow their markings have become less distinctive.please excuse the tippexed numbers i do this so its easier to identify and record weights and length as they grow.these two are kept under identical conditions and i will continue to record their growth and obviously take pictures to see how they differ during their growth to adults.
terry
161208007Small.jpg

161208011Small.jpg

161208010Small.jpg

15709011Small.jpg

22409007Small.jpg

terrypin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Jersey C.I.
tortoise_lover said:
very cute.. the left one very nice pardalis baby.. :)

hi your not the first to say that but i can assure you both parents are captive bred pardalis babcocki.i have never had one with twin dots in the scutes before.as you can see it is growing into a nicely domed shape typical of babcocki.
terry

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Always so interesting to see how different clutch mates can be. Really like the coloring and markings on the lighter one. Very beautiful!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Terry I know little or nothing about leos other than what I have read. Your hatchlings are sweet. Interesting how the one has no dots (I believe this is typical of pardalis babcocki ) but the other has the pardalis pardalis dots, yet is babcocki. This could blow the ID as hatchling by markings out of the water., if she's never had access to a male pardalis pardalis. Mother nature sometimes must be fickled. Is that an extra little scute on the front of the fifth pic or just its makings?

terrypin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Jersey C.I.
Crazy1 said:
Terry I know little or nothing about leos other than what I have read. Your hatchlings are sweet. Interesting how the one has no dots (I believe this is typical of pardalis babcocki ) but the other has the pardalis pardalis dots, yet is babcocki. This could blow the ID as hatchling by markings out of the water., if she's never had access to a male pardalis pardalis. Mother nature sometimes must be fickled. Is that an extra little scute on the front of the fifth pic or just its makings?

hi its fooled a few people.i bought their mother and father as captive bred babcocki in the uk.the breeder sold me 5 tortoises supposed to be from two different mateings and came as 3 female and 2 male i ended up with 1 female. as hatchlings they all looked like typical babcocki and the rest of my hatchlings from these mateings appear to be babcocki so i cant account for this little ones markings.i must say it is growing like a babcocki and already appears a very domed shape.yes that is an irregular scute i had a few like this.
terry

Status
Not open for further replies.