Less then 24 hrs and already lost!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linz2491

10 Year Member!
Hi
I got a adult (20ish lbs) sulcata yesterday at the reptile show. This afternoon I didn't close the pen well and he pushed out! It was about 25-30 minutes before I went to check on him and he was gone! I live on 8 acres which opens to a main road and connects unfenced to several properties. There is a creek/river and lots of bushes and trees. The pasture area is just full of tall straw.
I was out there for at least an hour or 2 until it got dark. Walked through the tall weeds, looks under bushes, out on the road. His pen is about 5 acres from the road. Would he have made it that far in that short a period? I feel so horrible and hopeless that I may never find him. I know when I had him out supervised he moved pretty fast and never stayed where the actual grass was but had go head a long the river bank and then towards the pasture a bit. Any advice on finding this guy? I am so upset and guilty. I know I won't sleep tonight.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
He's probably not as far away as you fear. Look early in the morning as the sun warms up the ground.

Good luck.

NeuroNaka

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
I'm sorry to hear this. My tortoises are most active an hour after sunrise, from about 7-11. You'll probably have a better time finding him in the morning. I'd suggest looking near large structures such as boulders or patches of tress since he'll be looking for cover during the night.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
NeuroNaka said:
I'm sorry to hear this. My tortoises are most active an hour after sunrise, from about 7-11. You'll probably have a better time finding him in the morning. I'd suggest looking near large structures such as boulders or patches of tress since he'll be looking for cover during the night.

Great advice, he'll be burrowing for cover at night, then seeking sun to warm up in the AM. I'm so sorry, a really rough start to tort keeping! Keep us posted please.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
time for a new pen!
if its tall grass.. he should have made a trail you can follow...
good luck! they don't move much at night.. they hunker down.. post flyers first thing in the morning tho...

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
it happens, dont feel bad. this is all just a learning experience. you should find him, follow the advice already given and he will show up. it can only get better from here, right? just stay positive. good luck. please keep us updated.

0.1.0 Russian tortoise
0.1.0 Sonoran Desert Tortoise
1.0.0 Bluenose Pit/American Bulldog

Linz2491

10 Year Member!
Laura said:
time for a new pen!
if its tall grass.. he should have made a trail you can follow...
good luck! they don't move much at night.. they hunker down.. post flyers first thing in the morning tho...

The pen is a temp but it is fine, I didn't shut it right. Unfortunately my dogs also have many trails!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sorry for your ruff start. Until you find him, I would keep the dogs from being anyplace that he could have went. Dogs and tortoises do not mix and if they find him before you, they could and probably will do some damage to him, or kill him.
Good luck, fingers crossed you find him soon.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Oh no! I'm so sorry! We had that happen with our 1 year old and we found her! Don't lose hope and keep us posted! Look through the grass and keep searching!

Life is good

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
any luck ? ...... Do you or a friend own a dog? Use the dog now while you have daylight and " track um" . Most canines will pick up on the torts scent right away and follow it to the source.
And as others have mentioned ….Welcome to your first learning experience with torts. I would be safe to say most folks who own big torts , this same scenario has happened once in their lifetime...Don't let it get you down ~ Good luck .. And keep us posted
:)

Linz2491

10 Year Member!
N2TORTS said:
any luck ? ...... Do you or a friend own a dog? Use the dog now while you have daylight and " track um" . Most canines will pick up on the torts scent right away and follow it to the source.
And as others have mentioned ….Welcome to your first learning experience with torts. I would be safe to say most folks who own big torts , this same scenario has happened once in their lifetime...Don't let it get you down ~ Good luck .. And keep us posted
:)

We found him!! The little brat was in a place that I looked at least 5 times! My 12 year son found him which is a miracle cuz my son has asbergers and can hardly find the nose on his face lol.y dogs totally let me down, I had them all out with me looking hoping they wohld track him and they didn't find him at all!

He is a grounded tortoise today and is hanging and sulking in the house.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It has sure happened to me. Mine are on a five acre ranch, and I sometimes let them have the run of the place. On evening I was sure that someone had left the gate open and my tort had made a break for it, but it turned out he was bedded down in the most unlikely of places and was just very well hidden from view.

Don't stop looking, and yes, they can cover an amazing amount of ground in a short time.

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
Whew! Glad he's been found. Give your Son an extra hug and helping of ice cream or special treat.

Linz2491

10 Year Member!
ImageUploadedByTortForum1380568230.681154.jpg
Here is the trouble maker himself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.