Light issues

Tortimum

Location (City and/or State)
England
Please help! I’m new here had my little Eric (Horsefield Tortoise) for 2 nights. The reptile shop said that he is one year old.
I’ve bought a pre done viv from the pet shop and currently I have a basking light which they have advised 31 degrees in the day with the uv light strip on and 27 degrees at night with the uv light off, from a lot of places I’ve read that they are meant to have a dark viv at night time so they can sleep but despite this light being on a dimmable thermostat it is staying very bright at night. I’ve spoke to the pet shop and he said the bulb needs to adjust and it will lower light over time, I think that sounds a little silly. What do you all advise I just want something easy? Will I have to change between a day bulb and a night bulb? Thanks in advance! Here’s some pictures of the set up. First picture is night and second picture is day.

Attachments

• IMG_6768.png
    IMG_6768.png
    259.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 2494ccb5-97d4-474c-844f-5a38fb2cf685.jpeg
    2494ccb5-97d4-474c-844f-5a38fb2cf685.jpeg
    310.9 KB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello and welcome!

Unfortunately, the pet shop gave you wrong advice on care.

1. Yes, tortoises sleep in the dark. And if your room temperatures stay in 21-23C no additional heating is needed. For adult tortoises nighttime temperatures can dip to 17-18C (could be even lower, but this is the safe range).
2. Basking lamp, ideally, should not be on a thermostat - you need to use lower wattage bulb and adjust height to get 35-37C at the basking area with the rest of the vivarium in 24-25C.
3. To maintain ambient temperature a combination of ceramic heat emitter (heater which gives no light, CHE) and simple on/off thermostat is usually used. You install the socket and CHE in the middle of the vivarium, place thermostat probe closer to the "cold end", set temperature on thermostat to 22C and forget about it.
4. The substrates offered are bad choice for baby Horsfields. Orchid bark or coco coir are better options. They also retain moisture and this helps tortoise to thermoregulate and get into a humid microclimate while burrowing.

You can check this detailed care guide (and temperate species care sheet linked at the bottom of that post):
Also, search in that post for a word "breakdown" for the recommended heating/lightning setup, lightning timings and such.

Please ask more questions!

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Please help! I’m new here had my little Eric (Horsefield Tortoise) for 2 nights. The reptile shop said that he is one year old.
I’ve bought a pre done viv from the pet shop and currently I have a basking light which they have advised 31 degrees in the day with the uv light strip on and 27 degrees at night with the uv light off, from a lot of places I’ve read that they are meant to have a dark viv at night time so they can sleep but despite this light being on a dimmable thermostat it is staying very bright at night. I’ve spoke to the pet shop and he said the bulb needs to adjust and it will lower light over time, I think that sounds a little silly. What do you all advise I just want something easy? Will I have to change between a day bulb and a night bulb? Thanks in advance! Here’s some pictures of the set up. First picture is night and second picture is day.
Hello and welcome. Alex spelled it all out perfectly for you. Questions are welcome.

Tortimum

England
Thanks for the message back I’m just finding it a bit too much and quite complicated. So I need 2 sources? A basking light, a CHE and a UV strip light?

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hello and welcome from a fellow uk member!🥰
Unfortunately you’ve been sold a lot of incorrect equipment and materials, pet shops are renowned for it😣

I’m going to fire off a lot of information here, I don’t want you to panic or get scared off, the information I’m giving you is for you to go over carefully in your own time for starting on a better enclosure moving forward. Though this one, with some adjustments, could last you about a year or more, so don’t panic starting scratch just yet.

I’m going to give you all this, but I will then go back over your most pressing questions in getting this current set up sorted so they’re more comfortable whilst in there😊

As much as it’s encouraged to have tortoises in a safe outdoor enclosure, I understand being from the uk myself, that our climate makes it difficult to house outdoors full time, an outdoor enclosure is great for them to enjoy in summer though! I would generally discourage free roaming outside of a safe enclosure.
Care advice for these guys is painfully behind, fb pages, YouTube, pet stores, they’re all repeating the same outdated advice, this forum is made of people who have spent years finding the best ways to care for them that actually result in healthy tortoise.

Yours is still a baby so will need to be in a closed chamber till around 3 years old anyway.

As adults they need a minimum of an 8x4 enclosure, roaming is vital to tortoise health, it aids digestion and strengthen their muscles.
Don’t think they can get away with smaller if allowed to free roam, I’d highly discourage indoor free roams, being away from their heat source means they’re being exposed to temperatures that are too low quite often, smooth surfaces like laminate flooring will wreak absolute havoc on their hip joints over time.
There’s just numerous reasons it isn’t a good idea unfortunately, harmful floor cleaners, foreign objects being swallowed, getting stuck under things they shouldn’t like shelving or sofas, low temperatures, no uv, getting hit by doors, one member has mentioned they knew someone who’s tort got their head crushed in a door jam😣, flipping hazards, smooth services, the list goes on and is endless.
They feel most comfortable and safe in a space that best mimics their natural environment, so an appropriate sized enclosure is always the ultimate goal, hopefully we can help🥰

This is how I’d personally tackle a starter set up/a way you can build a bigger size in the future, the types of equipment to use, how to maintain humidity, and a cost effective way for you to get a suitable sized enclosure, hopefully it helps inspire an idea for you🙂

You may already have/know some of this stuff but I’ll include it anyway for any new members who come across it😊

Basking light should be an incandescent floodlight(example attached) on a 12 hour timer.

Basking temperature directly under the floodlight should be 95-100f. The rest of the enclosure should be ranging 75-80 during the day.

You may also wish to add ambient lighting on the same timer, providing shady areas with hides and safe plants.

Then CHE/CHE’s(ceramic heat emitters) always on a thermostat, for night heat if your house drops below 60’s at night. They are a non light emitting bulb. Set the thermostat for a night temperature place the probe in their cooler end, plug the che into it and the thermostat into the mains, it’ll be plugged in 24/7 but will only turn on when the temperature drops. We’re a cooler climate so you’ll probably need them.

Large wide domes help in projecting the heat down, just don’t solely rely on the clamps, always hang securely.

Any indoor Uv should be a t5 fluorescent tube, avoid the compact and coil uv bulbs, they don’t give out enough uv and can hurt the tortoises eyes. The uv can be on a 4 hour timer from noon. I personally recommend the Arcadia proT5 kit 12% because it comes with the reflector fitting.

With lighting always avoid anything labelled halogen or mercury vapour.

For substrates, either coco coir, dampened and packed down by hand as a base, with a layer of orchid(fir not pine) bark or forest floor on top, or just the orchid bark/forest floor. Never use anything with sand mixed in, no top soils and no kinds of moss. The trouble with top soil is you don’t know what kind of plants have gone into it, they could be toxic. Sand and moss are impaction risks.

Those pellets and soil needs replacing asap, the pellets can swell in the stomach if swallowed.

You want to aim to have the bottom layer of substrate damp, to do this pour lukewarm water into the corners, not loads but enough to dampen the entire bottom layer. To stop that top layer getting too dry/dusty, mix the substrate now n then, which also helps boosting humidity or give the top a spray. Check your monitors and substrate to do the pours as and when needed. I don’t recommend misters or foggers, they get the air too wet and cause respiratory problems. Spraying won’t last as long.

Humidity for young growing tortoises needs to be maintained around 80+%, 24/7, you’ll find that difficult to achieve with an open top so it’s good you’ve got a closed chamber for now🙂for the set up I’m recommending moving forward, I’d get a greenhouse cover. Once the tortoise is older a cover won’t be needed.

To maintain humidity whilst the tortoise is younger a greenhouse style set up works well and provides more space, as an adult they are going to ideally need a minimum of an 8x4, the bigger you go the better, it’s ideal if you can build your own base to go as big as you can for the room you have. A 4x2 or 4x4 will last you until they’re a bit bigger, you can hang onto the one you have until you make this one🙂

If you can’t find an exact fit for your base with the cover, then place it over like the one with the white base in the photo, I’d put lining down under the base and cover though to stop condensate getting on your floor.

When making your base, just make sure the material is safe, some use flower beds or just make their own, for both these options I’d line with cheap pond liner to protect the base, making sure the liner goes up the sides too and make sure those sides are deep enough to prevent escapes.

Some people even hang their lighting from the greenhouse frame!(if sturdy enough) Simply wrap the wire round so it’s at the height you need(check with temp gun/put thermostat in, 18-21 inches for uv I recommend) then secure with cable ties&chains.

I’ve also included examples of stands people make/buy. You could throw some pvc covering over the stands if youre struggling for a topper, but again if you do that, I’d put lining down under the base to stop condensate.

For a water dish a shallow terracotta saucer is considered safest, they have grip in the event your tortoise flips themselves, most pet store options are a known hazard like the one you’re using, I’d replace that asap too.

If going for this set up, allow up to a week for the materials to ‘off gas’ with the heat running, until there’s no smell, once odourless, it’s safe for use🐢

Ignore whatever else is in these enclosures in the photos, they’re just to give you an idea👍

For the diet side of things, avoid fruit. You want to stick with leafy greens and weeds for these guys, perhaps you’ll find this link below useful, in the wildflower section there’s so many plants that grow perfectly in our climate! Perhaps you could get some seeds offline and plant into organic soil(no fertilisers or chemicals) in a planter the tortoise doesn’t have access to, forage them as they grow😊be very wary foraging elsewhere, you can’t be sure there’s no chemicals and they’re toxic lookalikes so always double check.

Attachments

• IMG_1733.jpeg
    IMG_1733.jpeg
    29.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1683.png
    IMG_1683.png
    151.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1679.png
    IMG_1679.png
    143.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1684.jpeg
    IMG_1684.jpeg
    147 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1669.png
    IMG_1669.png
    149.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1670.jpeg
    IMG_1670.jpeg
    65.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1672.jpeg
    IMG_1672.jpeg
    84.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1871.jpeg
    IMG_1871.jpeg
    238 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1872.jpeg
    IMG_1872.jpeg
    48.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1873.jpeg
    IMG_1873.jpeg
    32 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2028.jpeg
    IMG_2028.jpeg
    10 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2023.jpeg
    IMG_2023.jpeg
    376.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2024.jpeg
    IMG_2024.jpeg
    275.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2025.jpeg
    IMG_2025.jpeg
    187.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1675.jpeg
    IMG_1675.jpeg
    104.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1674.jpeg
    IMG_1674.jpeg
    60.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1628.png
    IMG_1628.png
    178.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1985.jpeg
    IMG_1985.jpeg
    116 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2035.jpeg
    IMG_2035.jpeg
    32.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2037.jpeg
    IMG_2037.jpeg
    178.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2157.jpeg
    IMG_2157.jpeg
    108.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2158.jpeg
    IMG_2158.jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2188.jpeg
    IMG_2188.jpeg
    109.4 KB · Views: 0

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Sorry I know that’s a lot lol, you can put it on the back burner for now🥲

To sum up, try and follow Alex’s suggestions, the basking light should be the right height and watt to achieve the desired basking temp underneath without the need for a thermostat, to check this I’d get yourself a temp gun!
Then to make up ambient heat/ give night heat, get yourself a CHE, that will need running on a on/off thermostat(not a dimming one) that will give the tortoise heat at night but keep things dark, they do indeed need complete darkness at night.
Then replace the substrate to one of the safe options we’ve mentioned, and maintain it as mentioned in my response.
Also switch out that water dish.

Once your humidity and temps are correct, your little one will be feeling much more comfortable in this set up, definitely grab yourself a temp gun and I’d change those dial monitors(they aren’t very accurate) for some digital ones that measure your temperature and humidity👍

Any further questions/things you need breaking down, please ask away! I know it can look overwhelming, I’ve been when you are! We’re all here to help every step of the way❤️

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Thanks for the message back I’m just finding it a bit too much and quite complicated. So I need 2 sources? A basking light, a CHE and a UV strip light?
Yes, a CHE bulb mounted into a wide(not deep) dome fitting, you can put it in the middle of the enclosure, then the on/off thermostat it’ll be ran on, can have the probe placed in the corner of the cooler end.

Then you’ll have your basking floodlight on a 12hour timer, you can also add an led on the same timer if you wish to brighten the enclosure a bit more during the day, it helps keeping them active🙂

Then on a separate 4 hour timer from noon, the t5 UV, Arcadia proT5 12% is the best to go for, you can get the smallest one, mount it nearer the basking bulb👍
There’s a lot of places that say to have your uv on the same amount of time the basking is on, it’s an old fashioned rule that’s stuck with most keepers, but the fact is, no tortoise in the wild is blasted with 12hours of uv, the uv rays peak for around 3-4 hours a day, therefore it’s fine to mimic this in captivity and save your bulb life🙂

Hope this helps!