Little lump on neck

IvyGirl

Location (City and/or State)
Devon, Uk
Hello,
We recently adopted a baby Sulcata who has this on its neck. There is only this one patch on it from checking. Is this something of concern?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2484.jpeg
    IMG_2484.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Cincinnati, OH
Hello,
We recently adopted a baby Sulcata who has this on its neck. There is only this one patch on it from checking. Is this something of concern?
Thanks
Yes, definitely a cause for concern. It might be austwickia chelonae, a possibly deadly bacterial infection. Please have a vet take a look at it ASAP. Where did you adopt it from? If it is AC, then it's very possible that other torts in its group are affected as well. Might want to give whomever you adopted it from a heads-up. I pray I'm wrong and it's not AC. Please keep us posted!

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
I agree this is probably Austwickia. However I will caution that most reptile vets have not heard of this disease yet. If you want confirmation my suggestion is to have your local vet take a tissue sample from the bump and send it to the lab at university of Florida for analysis. They will be likely be able to give you some info within a few days.

I believe at this stage of the disease, you have a decent shot of saving this tortoise provided it’s still eating and behaving normally.

Please see this thread: