Little one didn't make it - trying not to make the same mistake

Reptilian Feline

Location (City and/or State)
Sweden
I was making arrangements for having the breeder switch the tortoise out as he had said he would if I wanted to. We were trying to figure out how I could get the new one, and he could take back the little one. The little one was eating less and being really "quiet". The next moring I found him in the same possition as the evening before and when I checked on him, he was dead. I had suspected it might happen, but I tried so hard to make things right I hoped he would still be OK. But there is no point in whipping a dead horse, is there?
I told the breeder I was so tired of it, that I just wanted my money back. He said, sorry, but all I could get was a new tort, just send him pictures of the dead one. He also suggested he had someone drop the new one off at my local herp shop where I kind of know the owner. I told the herp shop owner when I stopped by to pick up some crickets and he was OK with it.
I sent the pictures to the breeder and ask if he could send me pictures of the new one, maybe with a video of it eating and lenght and weight. I replide with an OK about the shop owner's reply and nothing more... no pictures, no size. I am worried.

I will clean the "hospital ward"-enclosure properly, and set it up for a new little one, hoping that what I get isn't a sick little leo tort, but a healthy one.

I have read a number of hatchling posts here now, and from what I can tell, the little one never stood a chance. He didn't eat properly, he was a bit thin, and not very active at all. He's plastron was a bit too soft, I think I would have been able to put my finger nails through it if I had been so inclined (even the thought makes me sick).

The only good thing about all this, is that I am better prepared, the setup will be ready for its new inhabitant, the summer might finally be here, and I know what to look for in a sick baby tort. I wish I could have my money back instead of a new tort from the same breeder, but unfortunately I won't be that lucky, I can't even pick among those he has.

Fingers crossed, next weekend I'll be a happy leo tort mommy!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I was making arrangements for having the breeder switch the tortoise out as he had said he would if I wanted to. We were trying to figure out how I could get the new one, and he could take back the little one. The little one was eating less and being really "quiet". The next moring I found him in the same possition as the evening before and when I checked on him, he was dead. I had suspected it might happen, but I tried so hard to make things right I hoped he would still be OK. But there is no point in whipping a dead horse, is there?
I told the breeder I was so tired of it, that I just wanted my money back. He said, sorry, but all I could get was a new tort, just send him pictures of the dead one. He also suggested he had someone drop the new one off at my local herp shop where I kind of know the owner. I told the herp shop owner when I stopped by to pick up some crickets and he was OK with it.
I sent the pictures to the breeder and ask if he could send me pictures of the new one, maybe with a video of it eating and lenght and weight. I replide with an OK about the shop owner's reply and nothing more... no pictures, no size. I am worried.

I will clean the "hospital ward"-enclosure properly, and set it up for a new little one, hoping that what I get isn't a sick little leo tort, but a healthy one.

I have read a number of hatchling posts here now, and from what I can tell, the little one never stood a chance. He didn't eat properly, he was a bit thin, and not very active at all. He's plastron was a bit too soft, I think I would have been able to put my finger nails through it if I had been so inclined (even the thought makes me sick).

The only good thing about all this, is that I am better prepared, the setup will be ready for its new inhabitant, the summer might finally be here, and I know what to look for in a sick baby tort. I wish I could have my money back instead of a new tort from the same breeder, but unfortunately I won't be that lucky, I can't even pick among those he has.

So sorry you have had such rough start into the hobby of tortoise keeping. Glad you are not giving up

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia

So sorry to hear this, I kind of know how you feel. When I got my Leopards it was kind of a trial by fire process for me. Not because they weren't well started, they were, but because I didn't educate myself prior to getting them. They both got respiratory infections and I almost lost both of them, I wanted to give up and never get any more. Then I found TFO and now my guys are alive and well. Anyway, I hope all goes well with the new baby. Having the correct set-up can make a world of difference.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sorry for the loss of your little one. It is too bad you can't get your money back, but one unhealthy baby is not a guarantee that the next one will be ill. As soon as you get him home, give him a nice long warm soak. Most likely the breeder is doing a hot and dry start. Get the closed chamber set up and running so you have the temps and humidity correct beforehand. This will give him the best chance possible.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Thank you for trying so hard with the little one. Somebody cared.
Best of luck with the new one! Stay in touch.

Reptilian Feline

Sweden
I know the breeder keeps the temp a bit too low at night (19-20 celcius) and I suspect dry or they would all be dead. I will be able to pick up the new on on thursday at the herp shop, and I'll keep you all updated, hopefully with lots of funny anecdotes :)
Just read another old thread about failure to thrive... it so breaks my heart that breeders are so stupid! And then they find gullable people like me. Well, I won't be a happy camper on facebook if the next one isn't all right... I'll spread the word in a roundabout way, very polite and with plenty of questions until... well the sh*t hits the fan. Fingers crossed, it won't get to that!

Jimb

5 Year Member
Colorado Springs, Co.
It's always sad to lose a little one, I've had that experience myself and can relate to how sad and frustrating it can be.
I know you're new little one will be healthy and happy being with you. Keep us informed please.