Looking for edible shade recommendations

fritzgerald

Location (City and/or State)
Bakersfield, California
Hey all, I just recently adopted an adult Sulcata (friend of mine took him in but he was fighting his male so now he lives here) and looking for suggestions on shade/cover plants. He has free run of the yard, but I'd previously ripped out all the landscape bushes and plants so now I need to get him some shade in the yard. Right now he just hangs out in his house or on the patio under the fans. I'm looking for suggestions on what I can plant that's both edible but will also grow pretty good size to give shade and hiding spots. I'd picked up some hibiscus yesterday from the big box store but then saw the pesticide discussions and promptly took it back this morning. Here's a shot of the yard where I'm looking to put some plants (he's also got a side yard that's just dirt and some pool equipment). And because I've seen how everyone likes pictures, there's a couple of Michelangelo (I'd get his his face but he's in his house snoozing right now).

Screenshot_20240615-174401_Camera_Station.pngPXL_20240614_020342478.pngPXL_20240615_011414588.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Mulberry tree fruitless. Rose of Sharon Bush or tree, hibiscus bush or tree, hostas, but he might eat or trample them before they get big enough for shade.

fritzgerald

Bakersfield, California
Mulberry tree fruitless. Rose of Sharon Bush or tree, hibiscus bush or tree, hostas, but he might eat or trample them before they get big enough for shade.
Thank you. I'm on the hunt for a local pesticide free nursery with hibiscus but I'll probably be looking for hostas too now. Mulberry's are nice but would eventually get too big for the yard.

He's definitely a bulldozer so I'm planning to put some small block walls around them so he can't trample them but can still get to the overhanging leaves.