Looking For UVB Fixture Options

Cajuju

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hello,

I'm looking for suggestion for what type of light fixtures I should use to provide my tortoises with the UVB they need. They have a 6'x5' enclosure, and I am looking at what light fixture to use to spread over most of the enclosure. The only fixture I know that would work well are the Zilla Slimline Fluorescent Fixture, but the options I've seen aren't that long and I would prefer not having to buy lots of them. I am looking up what would work, but I am confused as to what I should be looking for an option that doesn't come from a pet store.

Additional Question: Does the UVB need to be over the entire enclosure?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In CA you really don't need UV indoors. Even over winter.

What species and size tortoise?
Where are you in CA?

If you want it anyway, go to lightyourreptiles.com. How high over the enclosure will the light be mounted? This will determine which bulb you need.

Cajuju

California
In CA you really don't need UV indoors. Even over winter.

What species and size tortoise?
Where are you in CA?

If you want it anyway, go to lightyourreptiles.com. How high over the enclosure will the light be mounted? This will determine which bulb you need.

It is a Redfoot tortoise which is about 5-6in long.
I am in the LA County.

The tortoise is going to be housed under my family's children playhouse. I plan on enclosing the space underneath so I'll be able to keep heat and humidity in. So my concern was that they won't be getting any sunlight when they are in their enclosure. I do have a little outdoor pen for them to get sunlight when its possible. They are normally in the enclosure if no one is home or if there is no sun out.

The height of the enclosure is ~4ft tall. So lets say I attach the lights to the top of the enclosure which is about 4ft tall.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It is a Redfoot tortoise which is about 5-6in long.
I am in the LA County.

The tortoise is going to be housed under my family's children playhouse. I plan on enclosing the space underneath so I'll be able to keep heat and humidity in. So my concern was that they won't be getting any sunlight when they are in their enclosure. I do have a little outdoor pen for them to get sunlight when its possible. They are normally in the enclosure if no one is home or if there is no sun out.

The height of the enclosure is ~4ft tall. So lets say I attach the lights to the top of the enclosure which is about 4ft tall.
With some D3 in the diet, and some sunning time in the outdoor enclosure on occasion, I would not use indoor UV. You don't need it. RFs don't like super bright lights.

If you want to offer some UV anyway, some people do, get the Arcadia 12% HO tube, any length will do and mount it so that its about 18-20 inches above the tortoise. Then set it on a timer for one or two hours mid day.

Cajuju

California
I would suggest this lamp.

At 4 ft, you probably wouldn't get any UVB. So you can hang this with chains from the ceiling of the enclosure to get the correct amount of UVB. You would need a solarmeter 6.5 to determine the exact height.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08JHDBR8G/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
Alright. Thank You! I will look into that lamp as well as a solarmeter.
I do have a questions about where to position it. Does the lamp need to cover the entire enclosure or is one area covered by the lamp good enough?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Usually keepers hang them in the middle. If you need to go closer to one end, go toward the basking end. Tortoise skin requires heat to better absorb and convert the light.