Lump on neck.??

Meela21

Last week I noticed a lump on the back of Pancake's neck. I used a Qtip to try and lightly get it off and it almost looks like a wart...? What do you think? 20160622_163558.jpg 20160622_163604.jpg

Meela21

It's actually raised, more than the picture shows. When I use the qtip, I could get it to lift up, but it was definitely inbedded in the skin..like a wart. I'll try to take a better picture tomorrow, if she let's me :) Maybe a bug bite...??

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
All I can say is: welcome to the forum, now. Will be waiting for better pics of your tort.

Meela21

Omg, make me nervous hurting her... I've had experience with ticks on my dogs, I don't think that's what it is, but I'll see about trying to get it off again and maybe take another pic if I can't get it..

Meela21

Omg, make me nervous hurting her... I've had experience with ticks on my dogs, I don't think that's what it is, but I'll see about trying to get it off again and maybe take another pic if I can't get it..

Here's another view of the lump. . I tried pulling it off with tweezers, but it's hard to get Pancake to keep her neck out . It feels hard when I do get ahold of the lump, but to no avail, it's still there.20160626_083445.jpg 20160626_083904.jpg

Kasia

Poland
Here's another view of the lump. . I tried pulling it off with tweezers, but it's hard to get Pancake to keep her neck out . It feels hard when I do get ahold of the lump, but to no avail, it's still there.View attachment 178270 View attachment 178272
Try to put the tort between your knees and hold it down. Use one hand to hold it's head - use other hand or a helper :) to extract that thing. Good luck

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Not being able to see it in real time makes it hard to be sure, but my first guess was a shell injury. That's the place on the neck where a tortoise gets injured when he's trying to climb the wall and slips down, not bringing his head in quickly enough, and the shell scrapes a raw spot. It just looks like dried flesh to me, not any kind of bug.

Meela21

Not being able to see it in real time makes it hard to be sure, but my first guess was a shell injury. That's the place on the neck where a tortoise gets injured when he's trying to climb the wall and slips down, not bringing his head in quickly enough, and the shell scrapes a raw spot. It just looks like dried flesh to me, not any kind of bug.

You know, I was wondering if if was from her shell...it seems to hit right at one of the points on he shell. I will keep an eye on it. Thanks Yvonne G! Do you think I should try to pull it off, or just leave it be and wait for it to heal up..?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If it were my tortoise, I'd dab on some Neosporin, then tear a piece of duct tape into a thin strip and cover the front edge of the shell with duct tape. That's a very hard place to heal because the tortoise breaks it open all the time when he retracts his head, plus the shell keeps rubbing on it.

Meela21

If it were my tortoise, I'd dab on some Neosporin, then tear a piece of duct tape into a thin strip and cover the front edge of the shell with duct tape. That's a very hard place to heal because the tortoise breaks it open all the time when he retracts his head, plus the shell keeps rubbing on it.
That's a good idea, thank you! :)