Marbelizing on Redfoots...Good or Bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Terry,

I think it may be a boy since the anal scutes still look a little flat and have not really separated from the shell. That being said, they can change in what seems like a heartbeat. I prefer to keep a loose guess than a hard number in my juveniles until they are definitely sexable. BTW Pio is looking great!

The marbling does seem to fade and be a phenomenon related to the new growth. Some of mine the pretty marbling looks good now but will eventually turn dark to match the rest of the plastron. Mine are outside most of the year, so I appreciate it when is develops.

This is one that I got from a good friend. The marbling pattern in this one is really neat, the patterns seem to originate more from the areola and not from the new growth. She is unusual just the same. It will be interesting to see how her shell develops and changes over time. The new growth has developed dark with no new signs of marbling.

P1010117.jpg

The marbling pattern on my two juvenile cherries is what the more common marbling looks like and tends to darken with sun and time.
P1010026.jpg

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
She is just beautiful! As she grows will that go away? I am here in NY, so mine is inside for the winter. Would that have anything to do with the marbling staying longer than one that is outside year round?

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
That is the most beautiful marbelizing I've seen yet. If Dale got like that I wouldn't mind at all. Most of the marbelizing I've seen I'm not really thrilled with, but yours is gorgeous. Terry I'm taking my guess now that Pio is a girl. We'll see in another year or so though won't we? If Pio is then we can breed her with Dale. :D :p

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Can we watch? LOL If Pio is a girl I'm going to rename her Pia. Every animal in my house so far is a female. I was looking forward to a male something or other.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Gosh that's a pretty tortoise. Its a leopard/redfoot, right??? :D

allegraf

10 Year Member!
She is unique! I am also curious whether she will hold the marbling or if it will fade. So far it seems to be steady.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
I agree, I couldn't believe it that my friend was willing to give her up. I think he had a moment of crazy and I am eternally grateful!

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Meg90 said:
Now, I see all this talk of marbling, and yet, no one posts any pics? There's something wrong here---

Here Is my Alpha Male Cherry .. ( which he is almost all Black ) . His mate, her marbling and all .... Even more amazing .... one of my Jr. Cherrys Belly ... notice the triangles in the belly line ( perfect right angles) nature fascinates me when it produces that? ... Way To Cool ! I have two from the same hatch and one has this the other dosnt .
JD:)
ALPHAMALECHERRYBOTTOM.jpg
AdultCherryFemaleBottom.jpg
JUVCHERRY-BTAIL.jpg

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Nice. Is it just me or does this male only have three claws on his rear legs?
One of my males only had two claws on his right rear leg.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
cdmay said:

Funny ....you caught that , I had to take a second look myself!
Nope he has four. Just the inner ankle ones are small.
Your new screen name "Eagle eye" :p
JD~
the torts'
@Sally2

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
cdmay said:

Do YOU have three claws on your rear leg too? Then I guess it's not just you!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.