Mean Mom!

BP12

5 Year Member
Hello,
We are having a problem with the larger (Mom) female,
Ramming and eventually flipping her baby Girls.
This happens in the compound and out in the yard.
Other than creating another Pen, any suggestions?
Thank You!

orv

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Aguanga, CA
Hello,
Thank You!
I am not aware of what species of tortoise you're keeping, but only one male should be kept along with similarly sized multiple females. If agression still occurs, a larger living area may be tried with multiple line of sight hides for security. If the male continues to be the aggressor, he should be removed to his own properly sized yard. On the event that aggression continues among the females, it is likely that their yard is not large enough and supplied with line of sight hides. Some species of tortoise, such as Russians, are best off in solitary lives, except for mating. Other spevies, such as Red Foots, due well in groups. We keep 4 CDTs, 1 adult male to 3 females. This groupimg has worked for us. Our tortoise yard is approximately 70' by 20'. We have multiple trees, plantings and rocks for them to have appropriate privacy. I hope that I have been of some help. It may be of help for us to know what kind of tortoises you have, their gender and sizes, as well as the logistics of your tortoise yard.

orv

5 Year Member
Aguanga, CA
Hello,
Thank You!
On re-reading your original post, I see that a new mom should never be kept with her new, very tiny offspring who doesn't recognize as hers, but views them as interlopers. Although what I posted above is true, it may not all be applicable to your case.

daniellenc

Maryland
Tortoises lay eggs and leave. There is no nursing of hatchlings. They hatch and either make it or not. Just separate she doesn’t see offspring she sees competition in her area.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hello,
Thank You!

If you are housing CDTs then you will likely need a separate enclosure for each and every one of them....this is a species of tort that, more times than not, like to be the master of their own domain....and do not share well....also, it is not legal to house males and females together...procreation is not the desired result...CDTs are housed with folks so that the displaced tort can live out its life in comfort since it is not allowed back in the wild...and not to create more that have not wild area that they can be returned to....

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hello,
Thank You!

Oh, and I always assume everyone in the world knows what CDT stands for, Ca Desert Tortoise :)

GHOST TEQUILA

EAST COAST
Tortoises lay eggs and leave. There is no nursing of hatchlings. They hatch and either make it or not. Just separate she doesn’t see offspring she sees competition in her area.

Ain't that something? Yet, alligators treat their own young better. Reptiles are funny.